Recording has stutters, I am recording on a high end PC. I tried everything I could but it wont go away. Please help :(

Jhzre

This is the dashboard from magician
1653520567833.png

Seems to be in good condition. I pinned the stats window in OBS and after a while Skipped and missed frames just skyrocket to like 12%

rockbottom

Dashboard looks OK, TB written is low. The Endurance Rating on that drive is 600TB.

Did you go into Drive Details & check/update firmware?

TRIM is activated in Performance Optimization or Optimize Drives in Windows.

Post the log for that last session.

The 980 is much better at burst type work loads & isn't particularly good at performing sustained writes. I highly recommend that you test saving your recordings to another drive to see if the lag stops.

fsimon

and I also read fsimon's solution. But I dont have an overclocked pc.
Maybe that's part of the problem?.. :)

I checked your log now that you uploaded one, I am 100% convinced the cause is what I mentioned above..
However I'm not sure whether it was mentioned, but before you try anything else, make sure that your power management settings are set to high performance in windows (I don't see your CPU boosting at all)

What's happening thou is your game caps your CPU core (whatever is available to it, either because it's limited by power management or by what the specific game can use) and OBS can't grab the frames.

To explain it in a bit more detail, here's what's happening.
- You're playing a game, you either have the FPS uncapped OR have it capped at too high of a value. When I say "too high" that is relative to the game and your pc ofc.
- If that is not a modern 64 bit game with proper multi-thread optimization, then sadly it will happen even at 60 fps, why? Because the game would be limited to accessing only 2 of your CPU cores and they're not even overclocked so you have a 3.6 Ghz ceiling on them
- On your stock settings, when required, your CPU should be able to boost a single core to 4.4Ghz (might not be the one used by the game), when a more spread out performance increase is needed, the other stock boosting option would be to boost all cores to 3.8 Ghz. (Neither one seems to be happening in your log hence why I think you're on a power saving profile or something)
- Either way when your individual core gets capped that the game uses OBS simply "cannot see" what's happening in the game, it's like blindfolding it so it just keeps re-encoding the same frame over and over till it gets a new one (your game will still run smooth for playing, your recording will be stuttering)

You can simply check this btw as you're recording it by opening your task manager (ctrl+shift+escape), going to the Performance tab, right-clicking the graph on the right of the CPU tab and selecting "Change graph to -> Logical processors", that way you will see CPU usage on the individual cores and you will see just how close to capped your game will push a few of them.

So possible solutions would be first of all checking that power management setting, if that doesn't help then looking at your core usage as described above and simply getting the game to use less CPU, either by capping at a lower FPS or by disabling some graphics effects which are more CPU-centric until you can see that it never even comes close to peeking any cores on the performance graph.
And lastly you could consider overclocking your CPU - actually you should consider that regardless, since the "over" part is optional and you could for example opt to get the same performance at a reduced voltage for example allowing for way less heat and more longevity, especially on a stock cooler (Ryzens run on a pretty stupidly high auto-voltage on most motherboards)

Hope some of that is helpful, again based on the log my current guess is the simple matter of the power management setting being on power saver or balanced or something other than high performance

Jhzre

Im currently learning about how to overclock my pc.

So far I know that anything above 20mb/s in OBS will cause encoding lag, even on 64bit games that can basically run on an old CPU. I will be buying a new SSD in the future, Hoping that it will fix the issue.

rockbottom

Overclocking is NOT needed & will not help. Nothing above will help with the encoding lag.

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but you get perfect recordings with no stuttering when recording bit-rate is kept below 20Mb/s. Also, when recording above 20Mb/s, there's no encoding lag immediately but at a certain point (I'm guessing about 10-15 minutes into the recording) encoding lag starts @ 12%.

This is a result of the 980 not having on-board DRAM.

OP, lose 100GB & set that 980 up just like I have my 980 Pro.

Magician > Performance Optimization > Enable Full Power Mode

TweakTown did the same, here's the results. Nice bump & reduced latency, could be enough to allow you to record at 40Mb/s or so.

1653973903638.png

Jhzre

Update,

I bought a 980 Pro, and still recording at 40mb/s gives me encoding lag. The SSD is set up correctly in the Nvme4.0 slot.
1654805030219.png

Ill try to enable full power mode, and see if it makes a difference.

rockbottom

CQP 10 isn't helping your cause. Lighten up Francis, 18 & up would be better.

For testing you should also run everything @ 60 FPS, at least until everything is straightened out.

rockbottom

Just noticed the post above, still doing it with the Pro. That blows.

Have you looked to see if there are any BIOS updates for your mobo?

Jhzre

Ok, so I have done some things to try and improve it again.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and also increased my RAM mhz from 2666 to 3200.
Inside the NVIDIA control panel I capped the frame rate of OBS to 60fps.
Did some recordings with CQP 18, which did decrease the encoding lag. But still not completely.

While recording I had a performance tab open, average CPU usage was about 8% and average GPU usage was 21%. But there was still encoding lag.

I also saw that there is a way to change M.2 process lanes from mobo to CPU which supposedly increases the speed. But the option was not there for me in the BIOS.

Jhzre

Another update,

Downscaling output to 720p did not help.
I turned both monitors to 60hz and recorded at 60 fps, no success.
I checked my new SSD and its writing speeds are above 5GB/s.
I created a map on my E drive, possible solution I read, but no.
Capped games that I play at 240 fps to 60fps, no change in encoding lag.
Checked all my CPU cores while gaming, none of them spiked above 60%.

At some settings there is no encoding lag, but then they have to be set so low that the quality of the footage is just unusable.

Is there any benchmark test or something to detect where the problem might be? because right now I'm very sure that it has nothing to do with OBS / Settings, but rather my computer itself.

rockbottom

Possibly but you're not the only person who has encountered this issue, many have not been able to resolve it.

Have you tried recording just video? If not, give it a try using your current settings. Does it still stutter?

Try recording with x264 gaming & with video. Try to narrow down when it happens. If it happens all the time, hopefully it still has some warranty left.

koala

If you suspect the hardware, run gpu-z and check the bus interface field. It has to show x16 on both sides of the @ to show it is fully connected with x16 speed, for example "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0".

Jhzre

If you suspect the hardware, run gpu-z and check the bus interface field. It has to show x16 on both sides of the @ to show it is fully connected with x16 speed, for example "PCIe x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0".
I think you're on to something.
1654949820150.png

It says "PCIe x16 4.0 @ x16 1.1"

koala

That's ok. The 1.1 on the right will turn to 4.0 as soon as you start some app that's using the GPU. You can also click the question mark in GPU-Z an start the rendering test. I don't see any issue here.
I wanted to make sure your GPU isn't plugged into the wrong pci-express slot. In this case, a x8 or even x4 would show up instead of x16.

Jhzre

I just let one of my friends, who runs similar performance (Ryzen 5 5600x RTX3060), record at the exact same settings as me, and he has no issues at all. He even went above my settings recording in 1440p at 40mb/s without experiencing encoding lag.

rockbottom

Set up your Nvidia Control Panel exactly the same as your friend has theirs set (resolution excluded). No luck.

DDU existing driver (follow directions carefully) & re-install. Not sure if you use Experience but get rid of that too.

rockbottom

Could a monitor be causing it, anybody know? I personally haven't had a monitor go bad but they are connected to the GPU & communication is both ways..