hazzer

Hey, I am experiencing problems with recording. Whilst recording in game everything is smooth and fine, but watching back through the recorded footage there are a few dropped frames. Not a lot, but still noticeable whilst watching the footage. I made a log and I'll link it down below.

Is there any way to obliterate these few dropped frames? The game is from 2003 and it always runs fine at 60fps, never drops even whilst recording, just the recorded footage has these dropped frames. My OBS settings are what they came with when I installed it (stock, default settings?) I'm hoping there's a way to fix this, your help would be appreciated thank you.

Here is the skipped frames code line from the log:
20:22:46.181: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Output of file 'D:/OBS Recordings/2022-04-25 20-20-19.mkv' stopped
20:22:46.181: Output 'simple_file_output': stopping
20:22:46.181: Output 'simple_file_output': Total frames output: 8788
20:22:46.181: Output 'simple_file_output': Total drawn frames: 8799
20:22:46.182: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
20:22:46.183: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 56/8798 (0.6%)

koala

Record to an internal drive. External drives usually have write cache off, this can produce encoding lag, because write operations are not buffered.
And change the encoder from x264 to nvenc. This will result in much lower CPU usage and better quality, since x264 ultrafast will not only very big files but is also less quality than nvenc. On your GTX 1050, the Nvenc quality is about x264 veryfast.

hazzer

Thanks for your comment. I changed my recording encoder to nvenc, changed the recording location to my C:/ drive, and also updated OBS since I realised I was running an out-of-date version.
The result is kind of still the same. Upon video playback there is still a bit of stuttering, but I couldn't see a 'number of skipped frames due to encoding lag' line

Attachments

• 2022-04-26 01-19-42.txt
    16 KB · Views: 59

koala

According to your log, OBS hasn't skipped any frames. The recording should be perfect. Don't use the integrated Windows video playback function but an advanced media player like VLC or Media Player Classic.

hazzer

According to your log, OBS hasn't skipped any frames. The recording should be perfect. Don't use the integrated Windows video playback function but an advanced media player like VLC or Media Player Classic.
You're right, I viewed the recording using VLC instead of the Windows video and it isn't showing the slight choppyness like Windows was. Thank you for all your help, everything seems to be working now and smooth