Question / Help Ran out of storage while recording; file is corrupt

NickA

3 different recording were effected. Didn't notice until after. So my PC notified me that my HDD was getting low on space so I stopped recording and deleted some things and kept going. Then played the next day and the same thing happened but I just deleted stuff while recording. Recording never stopped either time. Video file on HDD is there and says it's a huge 37GB file (one example of one of the 3 videos. Others are 79GB and 85GB) so data is there, but it wont play. Says "This file isn't playable. That might be because the file type is unsupported, the file extension is incorrect, or the file is corrupt. 0xc00d36c4". Weirdly, only the 3rd recording appears to have a log saved (linked).

Another thing I'm worried about, if this is recoverable, is my audio. I record gameplay on track 1 and mic on track 2. Normally, when I watch it back on my basic windows movie player, it plays with just the mic audio with the video. When it goes in my editor, both tracks are there as two separate tracks. Just worried that if this can be saved, that only one track will be there. Hoping it's gameplay...

I tried downloading VLC and it wont play there. Tried doing the Convert / Save thing on there too and I don't think it worked. Unless I did it wrong. I used this random website https://mp4repair.org/pwt6/preview.html and it showed some of the video. So I know it's there. But they wanna charge about 600$ to fix 3 videos and even if I had that kind of money, I don't even know if I can trust it. It also looks low quality anyways.
Also tried some "untrunc" thing? This: https://github.com/ponchio/untrunc Very confused by that and couldn't figure out the "command line" part.

There has to be a way right? If anyone can help, it would mean a great deal to me. And on a personal note, this is my first time in 21 years to ever post on any kind of forum. Just to show how desperate I am.

Attachments

• 2019-11-29 16-08-47.txt
    18.6 KB · Views: 61
D

Deleted member 121471

If the .mp4 file wasn't finalized properly, it is unrecoverable, which is why there's a huge yellow warning text advising against it, when you select to save in that file format.

NickA

i didn’t mention a yellow text box or saving anything? you mean the error when i try to play the file? I’m not trying to save anything, the mp4 is already in my folder. just won’t play. but that one website shows there is footage in there somewhere... somehow...

D

Deleted member 121471

In OBS settings, under Output category, Recording tab, when you select .mp4 recording format, you see the warning and instructions for a much more reliable and resilient way to record.