dqm

i have updated to 28 and we have some controlling back for our ptz camera. the arrows for up down left right will not work and lost the speed control. how can i fix this so all the controls work in obs? i can email picture of what the controls look like if needed
I believe the speed control is gone by design: replaced by algorythm that gradually increases the speed the longer you hold the button down. The arrows may be working, only slowly. Hold the button down longer to see if the pan/tilt speed ramps up.

glikely

I believe the speed control is gone by design: replaced by algorythm that gradually increases the speed the longer you hold the button down. The arrows may be working, only slowly. Hold the button down longer to see if the pan/tilt speed ramps up.
left/right/up/down no longer working is probably a separate issue. Some VISCA implementations don't behave well when told to only move in one axis. It was a quirk I had fixed before, but I probably broke it again when I overhauled the state machine. I'll see if I can get it working again.

The speed slider removal is indeed by design, but it has caused regressions or unworkable behaviour for some cameras. I'm going to add configuration options to limit the minimum and maximum move speeds.

For anyone having trouble with the latest version I recommend going back to v0.12.2 until I can get the speed ramp to be more usable

glikely

Hi dqm. Thanks for the feedback. Comments below...
I understand that you've previously contemplated starting with an empty preset list that can be maintained similar to the Scene and Source lists. This would allow fewer/more presets and flexible ordering. While I upvote that idea, I'd like to propose taking it to the next level.

What I had in mind was refactoring the preset list as an "action" list, supporting multiple action types, each action type configurable with the supporting values it needs. Calling a preset would, of course, be one action type, supported by a configurable preset number. A second action type, which sort of drives this proposal, would be calling a scene, supported by the scene name. Given the complexity with which scenes can be constructed, this would be an enormously powerful feature. For example, it would enable camera changes with transitions from the ptz control pad. (Confession: calling raw presets without transititons to mask gross camera movements is too risky for my workflow.)

One can imagine other action types with potential for lots of extensibility. Think about an action type that issues a generic camera command, configurable in the settings. Or many OBS commands, for that matter (though I urge caution about getting too distant from camera control). Down the road, one could even support a multi-step action type--one that issues a sequence of actions, similar to what Stream Deck and Companion support.
Great ideas, thanks! I'm concerned however that implementing these features in the PTZ plugin could make it quite limited. I've been thinking instead about exporting API hooks that can be used by the Advanced Scene Switcher, and possibly allow the plugin to trigger Advanced Scene Switcher actions since the scene switcher has far more functionality than I'll ever add to the PTZ plugin.
Finally, think about the relationship between an item in a device's action list and the action that it invokes. In its simplest form (as with presets now), it's 1-1. In other words, each item invokes a single action and that action is associated with a single item. With the mult-action feature mentioned above, that relationship becomes 1-many: one item invokes multiple actions, but each action is still associated with only one item in the list. The most robust design is many-many. That means separating device settings from action settings in your underlying configuration structure. Then, the same action can be used for multiple devices. For example, an action for "call preset 1", could be assigned to any or all cameras. Or, invoked in other ways--like by assigning it to one of the buttons under direction arrows. FWIW, the relationship between Scenes and Sources follows that design principle.
So something like a preset triggering a named action, correct? I think this also leans towards defining the action list in a more generic tool, and then merely triggering the action from the PTZ frontend.

renancs

Hello, its possible adapt this plugin to work with USB PTZ cameras? Like Logitec Rally? Im trying to create custon scenes in diferents places in a room, but cant figure how... i think your plugin might works, if can be customized to usb cameras.

Thnx!!

Dav0

Have been streaming a church service using OBS 27 for over 12 months using two Tenveo Cams over RS232 links. Upgraded today to OBS 29 with PTZ Controls V0.13.0. Everything good except that the cameras keep moving for 2 or 3 seconds after actuation of the up/down and zoom controls ceases. This delay did not occur in the previous configuration, and it makes the system almost unusable. Can you please advise what I can do to solve this problem, please? Should I go back to OBS 27?

Dav0

Have been streaming a church service using OBS 27 for over 12 months using two Tenveo Cams over RS232 links. Upgraded today to OBS 29 with PTZ Controls V0.13.0. Everything good except that the cameras keep moving for 2 or 3 seconds after actuation of the up/down and zoom controls ceases. This delay did not occur in the previous configuration, and it makes the system almost unusable. Can you please advise what I can do to solve this problem, please? Should I go back to OBS 27?
I uninstalled V 0.13.0 and installed V 0.12.2 (still with OBS 29). Camera behavior has reverted to the original i.e. without the delay.

DonA.N4TH

New to the forum. We've been using OBS and Zoom under Win10 at church for about a year. Since the Win11 update OBS has become unstable. I've been trying to set up an Ubuntu 22.04 environment. I have OBS 29 installed. I can't get the OBS-PTZ plugin to install, either from the .deb file or compiling from source. I'd this a known problem? Any workarounds? Thanks.

hounddog

left/right/up/down no longer working is probably a separate issue. Some VISCA implementations don't behave well when told to only move in one axis. It was a quirk I had fixed before, but I probably broke it again when I overhauled the state machine. I'll see if I can get it working again.

The speed slider removal is indeed by design, but it has caused regressions or unworkable behaviour for some cameras. I'm going to add configuration options to limit the minimum and maximum move speeds.

For anyone having trouble with the latest version I recommend going back to v0.12.2 until I can get the speed ramp to be more usable
The speed ramping was a great upgrade, but I do also miss the speed slider and am glad to hear your thinking of adding in the ability to set the min/max limits of the move speed. Thank you for your dedication and time you give for all the updates you do !

DonA.N4TH

New to the forum. We've been using OBS and Zoom under Win10 at church for about a year. Since the Win11 update OBS has become unstable. I've been trying to set up an Ubuntu 22.04 environment. I have OBS 29 installed. I can't get the OBS-PTZ plugin to install, either from the .deb file or compiling from source. I'd this a known problem? Any workarounds? Thanks.
A quick follow-up... When trying to install obs-ptz-v0.13.0-linux-x86_64.deb with the package installer in Ubuntu 22,04. I receive the following error:
Unable to install obz-ptz:
Error while installing package: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/-control' near line 8 package 'obs-ptz'

When I attempt to view /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/-control I find no file.

Any clues? Thanks! ..DonA

lalabiang

I have still using OBS V27 because of the plugin limitation with PTZ Optic in V28 or later. I am using this for church livestream and prefer not to do any upgrade and then found myself to have to deal with new set up/config. Currently I am using PTZ optic camera controller for OBS to control 2 cameras and this still not supported in V28 or later. Anyway In the page it appear this OBS plugin able to work with PTZ Optic camera. Can someone help to confirm the OBS plug in (ver 12 or 13) will work with PTZ Optic camera in OBS ver 28 or later?. Looks like someone mentioned ver12 is better than ver 13 but not sure which PTZ camera was used there. Also is there a different UDP port need to be specify for PTZ Optic camera. Thanks

lalabiang

For this reason I downgrade back to Windows 10 and OBS 27.

glikely

I have still using OBS V27 because of the plugin limitation with PTZ Optic in V28 or later. I am using this for church livestream and prefer not to do any upgrade and then found myself to have to deal with new set up/config. Currently I am using PTZ optic camera controller for OBS to control 2 cameras and this still not supported in V28 or later. Anyway In the page it appear this OBS plugin able to work with PTZ Optic camera. Can someone help to confirm the OBS plug in (ver 12 or 13) will work with PTZ Optic camera in OBS ver 28 or later?. Looks like someone mentioned ver12 is better than ver 13 but not sure which PTZ camera was used there. Also is there a different UDP port need to be specify for PTZ Optic camera. Thanks
The plugin should work with PTZ Optics cameras. I've tested a couple times with one of PTZOptics test cameras across the internet, but I don't have my own hardware so it is only tested rarely. I'm primarily using an older Sony camera to develop this plugin

If you do try it out, please report back if it is working for you.

glikely

Sound like your RS232 link is wired to transmit only, and the plugin isn't receiving replies from the cameras. With previous versions the plugin would still send out commands 'blind', but the work in v0.13.0 to ramp the speed and to throttle the command so the camera doesn't get overrun has the side effect of not working well with TX-only links. I do intend to fix this, but haven't had time yet. In the mean time staying with v0.12 is the right thing to do.

glikely

Hello, its possible adapt this plugin to work with USB PTZ cameras? Like Logitec Rally? Im trying to create custon scenes in diferents places in a room, but cant figure how... i think your plugin might works, if can be customized to usb cameras.

Thnx!!
It is possible to implement, but haven't had the time to work on it.

visierl

New to OBS and would like to get PTZ controls working. Here are the details of what I have:
  • Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro (Intel)
  • Catalina
  • OBS Version 29.0.0
  • obs-ptz-v0.13.0-macos-x86_64 installed using the installer
This could be an OBS noob thing, but I am not seeing a way to turn on the PTZ controls. Any help appreciated...

glikely

New to OBS and would like to get PTZ controls working. Here are the details of what I have:
  • Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro (Intel)
  • Catalina
  • OBS Version 29.0.0
  • obs-ptz-v0.13.0-macos-x86_64 installed using the installer
This could be an OBS noob thing, but I am not seeing a way to turn on the PTZ controls. Any help appreciated...
In the menu bar: Docks-->PTZ Controls

Add cameras by opening the settings dialog by clicking the gear icon in the dock, or by Tools-->PTZ Controls

Smuffgg

Good afternoon,

I think the question was asked here previously but was left without answer:

Is there a way to connect this OBS Plugin to a Canon CR-N300?

Can't figure it out by myself.

Thanks in advance!

DonA.N4TH

I'm probably doing something stoopid, but can't figure out just what. Running Ubuntu 22.04 with OBS 29. Install with the built-in package installer fails, so I tried manually with dpkg. I receive:
$ sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/obs-ptz-v0.13.0-linux-x86_64.deb
dpkg: error processing archive /home/don/Downloads/obs-ptz-v0.13.0-linux-x86_64.deb (--install):
parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/control' near line 8 package 'obs-ptz':
'Version' field value 'v0.13.0': version number does not start with digit

Could it really be as simple as removing the "v" from the Version field? I know nothing about editing .deb files, but it seems to require more than a simple file replace in the .deb file.

glikely

Good afternoon,

I think the question was asked here previously but was left without answer:

Is there a way to connect this OBS Plugin to a Canon CR-N300?

Can't figure it out by myself.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, the camera supports VISCA and so will work with the plugin. You should be able to control it over the network (Vista over IP) or serial cable (RS-422). From the camera description:
Standard VISCA Protocol
The CR-N300 supports the standard VISCA protocol to remotely control the camera via IP. When connecting a VISCA protocol-compatible remote controller to the camera over IP or serial RS-422, the camera can be operated remotely and shooting settings can be adjusted by utilizing the remote controller.

The standard VISCA protocol is widely used in video production, broadcasting, and many other markets. The CR-N300 supports the standard VISCA protocol that is regarded as an industry standard and is suitable for operation within existing workflows.