Proxyless editing for OBS recording

prantikv

Hello there,

I primarily create screencasts and record using OBS.
My obs settings are as follows:

Settings20240801101234.png

I get some lag when I press the space bar while editing. The playback is smooth just that when I pause and hit the play button it takes more than 1 second to play the clip, which is annoying.

This does not happen when using proxy media.

Is there any optimized format that I can record in OBS that will be easier for resolve?

Thanks.

Lawrence_SoCal

Is there any optimized format that I can record in OBS that will be easier for resolve?
As far as I'm aware, than is completely dependent on your specific hardware.
HEVC is more highly compressed, which takes extra computation/processing to encode... and developers have had more time to optimize the older H.264 libraries... so in some circumstances, newer isn't 'better' for all situations ... it depends.

So your question isn't really all that answerable (other than 'it depends')
And, really the better place to ask would be in the blackmagic forums, and I'm sure a focused answer will depend on your specific CPU, RAM, GPU, VRAM, disk I/O along with associated hardware resource usage and availability of each sub-system, color depth, bitrate, etc.
And of course, if buying more powerful hardware isn't desired, then the basic of optimizing the operating system to reduce unnecessary background process load can help, as M$ has moved to more eye-candy type defaults, and other resource hogging design decisions (but beware YouTube videos from idiots with click-bait videos offering snake oil type pitches on easy solutions to tough problems ... many will only make matters worse. Personally I use corporate IT focused VDI optimization guides as a good starting point).