Program as Source

ce_esports

Hello!
As a part of our setup, our organization has shoutcasters/announcers that have to be able to see some of the game sources at the same time our broadcast team does. Currently, we have a scene set as a full screen projector to a TV the casters can see. (This scene sort of resembles a mix effect on a tricaster) The scene also has a real time clock and a feed of our cameras so our casters can see themselves. Currently, we are trying to add the program output as a source in this scene so that our casters can see what is currently being broadcast and know whether they are on air or not.
This seems like it should be relatively easy for OBS, as the program is being encoded anyway and any other scene can be added as a source. It's just the matter of getting it to switch.
So, does anyone know of a way to take the Program (or live scene) as a source in another scene?

Thanks! :)

cyclemat

try NDI plugin
1646699882282.png

so you can stream the mainoutput and the preview

aso you can create a filter to transport a scene as souce for NDI monitor (NDI-Tools )

ASchneider

Hello! This can be done using virtual camera or NDI output, like @cyclemat said. Not ideal but that is how I done. This feature is extremely useful for many use cases, for example: you could use Exeldro's source record to stream the output, cropped/rotated to another service at the same time. @Exeldro do you think a dedicated plug-in might be a good idea? Having a simple source that could be added to any scene, including audio, showing the preview or program in real time? Using both virtual camera or NDI are very resource demanding and exposes your stream to the network (NDI) Thanks!

koala

May be the Multiview is useful for you. It's meant to show all scenes for overview, not only one, but it always includes current preview and current output (review and output is different, if you use studio mode).
View->Multiview (Windowed) / Multiview (Fullscreen)
Configure in Settings->General->Multiview

ASchneider

May be the Multiview is useful for you. It's meant to show all scenes for overview, not only one, but it always includes current preview and current output (review and output is different, if you use studio mode).
View->Multiview (Windowed) / Multiview (Fullscreen)
Configure in Settings->General->Multiview
Hello! Thanks for the reply. I understand what you said but having the program/output as a simple source allows you to add effects, crop, rotate, send to someone else using virtualcam (VDO Ninja, for examplo), having access to track 1 (final audio output) as a source also opens so many opportunities. Thanks.

koala

Well, my answer was to the OP. If you have a different use case than the OP, it's expected you create your own thread. The virtual webcam was not in scope for the OP, and the multiview seems very near to what the OP is asking. He even told the scene he prepared for monitoring is a custom composition of other sources and/or scenes, so may be he just overlooked the existing multiview and tried to mimic one .

ASchneider

Well, my answer was to the OP. If you have a different use case than the OP, it's expected you create your own thread. The virtual webcam was not in scope for the OP, and the multiview seems very near to what the OP is asking. He even told the scene he prepared for monitoring is a custom composition of other sources and/or scenes, so may be he just overlooked the existing multiview and tried to mimic one .

Sorry about that, my mistake. I always search if what I want to post was already posted before, to avoid flooding the forum asking the same question. I found this thread because of the similarities of my needs, looking for a possible answer. Thanks mate!

saadrabia

Just click on "Start Virtual Camera", then create a Virtual Capture Device source, and lastly pick "OBS Virtual Camera" from the list. Enjoy!