Other apps (including OBS) lagging when playing games.

TimothyTV

Hi everyone,

I tried to fix this problem for days and went for several possible solutions but nothing really helped. Here's my exact problem: I built a new PC a few weeks ago (specs at the end of the post). Everything works just fine but while playing some games the performance of all other apps than the game starts to get worse. For example Cyberpunk 2077. When playing the game YouTube on my second monitor starts selecting 360p automatically and still lags constantly. Same goes for Discord streams. And OBS Studios is the worst. I start it up as admin and set the priority to high. All games run on normal priority. When I cap the framerate in most cases it fixes the issue but not on all games.
Here is what I tried so far:
- enable/disable Windows Game Mode
- set power settings in Windows to max perforamnce
- switched between windowed fullscreen and fullscreen
- updated all drivers

My specs:
CPU: i9 11900k (running stable at 4.9 GHz)
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080
RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) TridentZ Neo CL14 @3600 MHz
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS XIII Hero
Storage: 3x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD

OBS log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/Ni8WE6RNlC9rlOS6

qhobbes

1. Enable Game Mode.
2. Create a new Scene Collection in OBS with 1 scene with 1 source (No Display Capture) of your primary content. Restart OBS (see below).
3. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your stream/recording for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.

TimothyTV

1. Enable Game Mode.
2. Create a new Scene Collection in OBS with 1 scene with 1 source (No Display Capture) of your primary content. Restart OBS (see below).
3. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your stream/recording for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.

Okay I did everything as said and this is my new log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/-VY5ADl30kbL_Ca9

qhobbes

Change the NVENC preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.