Question / Help Only software rendering with a GT 1030

guyman70718

I used to use OBS with no problem, and then I upgraded my Quadro 600 to a GT 1030. I recently got OBS again after a period of not using it. I noticed very bad studdering, and High CPU usage. I checked my renderer, and it's software, which is the only option. I also tried using Bandicam, and although it has the watermark, it uses hardware rendering. I am wondering why this is, and if the old OBS was anywhere for download to rule out it being the problem.

Specs:
i3-4170
EVGA GT 1030
8 GB DDR3

I would have gone with a 1050, but it just simply does not fit. I have a hard enough time keeping the 1030 fan from scraping the side of my case :P.

DEDRICK

Your motherboard needs to have an onboard graphics output on the I/O and your iGPU needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Cable stays installed on the 1030, but enabling the iGPU will allow you to use QuickSync...unless you are using Windows 7, then you have to use a Workaround "virtual monitor"

Though if you don't have it currently in OBS I'm not sure how Bandicam would be accessing it.

Last edited:

guyman70718

Your motherboard needs to have an onboard graphics output on the I/O and your iGPU needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Cable stays installed on the 1030, but enabling the iGPU will allow you to use QuickSync...unless you are using Windows 7, then you have to use a Workaround "virtual monitor"

Though if you don't have it currently in OBS I'm not sure how Bandicam would be accessing it.
Don't think my bios allows both iGPU and dedicated GPU at once. It's a Dell PC, not some fancy mobo. Why would I need to if Bandicam already can use it?

DEDRICK

Try using x264 CPU Preset Ultrafast, CRF mode, CRF 16. The CPU impact of Ultrafast is minimal, CRF 16 should make up for the preset but fair warning, the filesizes are insane. For CRF, lower is higher quality, 16 is essentially lossless, 23 is typical

And ONLY...only for recording. Don't even attempt streaming with these settings, it's upwards of 200Mbps at times

guyman70718

Try using x264 CPU Preset Ultrafast, CRF mode, CRF 16. The CPU impact of Ultrafast is minimal, CRF 16 should make up for the preset but fair warning, the filesizes are insane. For CRF, lower is higher quality, 16 is essentially lossless, 23 is typical

And ONLY...only for recording. Don't even attempt streaming with these settings, it's upwards of 200Mbps at times
Alright, thanks. Is there any way to do CUDA or OpenCL rendering? And does the Quadro 600 have NVENC? I ask because I know for a fact that with this same CPU and the Quadro 600 I was able to stream in 1280x1024 with almost no lag.

Boildown

The problem with the Nvidia GT (as opposed to GTX) lineup is that they can be too slow for even software x264 encoding using OBS. I've got a GT 630 (which ironically does have NVEnc support) in my home media / theater PC, and I borrowed it in my dedicated encoding PC purely for testing, and it had unexpectedly poor performance even when doing x264 instead of NVEnc. NVEnc on it was also bad, by the way.

A GTX 750/950/1050 (Ti or not Ti) is the way to go. A bit more expensive but no performance problems, you can even get them in low profile or fanless.

guyman70718

The problem with the Nvidia GT (as opposed to GTX) lineup is that they can be too slow for even software x264 encoding using OBS. I've got a GT 630 (which ironically does have NVEnc support) in my home media / theater PC, and I borrowed it in my dedicated encoding PC purely for testing, and it had unexpectedly poor performance even when doing x264 instead of NVEnc. NVEnc on it was also bad, by the way.

A GTX 750/950/1050 (Ti or not Ti) is the way to go. A bit more expensive but no performance problems, you can even get them in low profile or fanless.
Its not that I don't want a better card, I would 100% go for a 1050ti, and I was about to buy one before realizing that my mobo has the 16x slot on the very bottom, (while standing up), but on the 1050 and 1050TI, the card needs another blank plate under the slot. Essentially, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LLxPXZizejWwaJwv4Ra1igTyG_pv1WF0/view?usp=sharing.