Okay, I need help :/ ... amdgpu-pro pixelation

allan.kg

I'm having this problem :
1663642395888.png

(pixelated, unreadable)

The XSHM method works well, but the problem is that I don't want to capture the entire screen.
  • If there was a way of capturing only a window by the XSHM method it would be awesome. But I really can't use it as it is (full screen), there are too much personal and unrelated information in the background.

I've tried with 2 systems :
  1. debian sid
    1. amdgpu-pro
    2. snap does not launch
    3. flatpak at least shows it (the printscreen came from this version)
    4. distro's package shows only a static garbage image.
    5. ppa's alternative simply shows segfault without a trace in log (only if I gdb it -> not done yet)
    6. i3wm minimal
  2. lubuntu jammy
    1. same specs as debian, but with official amdgpu-pro/snap support.
    2. since it is lubuntu, the base is lxqt (and some kde stuff)
What I've already tried so far :
  1. checking lubuntu options to disable compositing-related options
  2. starting obs with EGL enabled
  3. setting stream encoder to 25Mbits
    1. the buffer too, to 25K
  4. Changing encoders
    1. vaapi
    2. x264
  5. Changing canvas resolution
    1. Increasing
    2. Decreasing
  6. googling
  7. Yes, I've checked many times about libs and stuff.

I wish I could just say "that's ok, I'm gonna use the open source instead of the proprietary version".... but it is at least a 60% performance drawback in my current OpenGL target. I've even done a fresh ubuntu installation to avoid all the debian related sysadmin stuff and just get the official things.

My impression is that for some reason it is capturing an image like 10 times smaller than what it should be. I've read in somewhere that the amdgpu-pro driver was causing some corruptions and so, but nothing related to this case (even a terminal emulator is unreadable). Also, some users on the internet reported that since some version of the driver this issue should've been solved already.

Last edited:

allan.kg

Errata : I tried the ppa version only on ubuntu.

Also, the reason for snap failing is that it tells that the video driver is not supported.

P.S. : I did not describe my PC specs because in terms of performance it handles it very well, it is not relevant for this issue.

-------------

1663644973262.png

(To the left : Xcomposite) (To the right : XSHM)​