Question / Help OBS VirtualCam not working with Zoom

bradtem

The solution: I use OBS regularly without virtualcam or NDI. OBS has a neat feature, a fullscreen preview... I simply use Zoom's sharing feature to broadcast my OBS preview screen and voilà, cristal clear HD video transfer, lag free. No patch, no third party tools, no nothing needed. Plus, I have total control of my OBS output as usual.
I've thought about it, but I'll need an extra monitor. I have one screen showing my application. Then this needs another screen for the preview. And a 3rd screen is needed for OBS control and other windows!

heye

I've thought about it, but I'll need an extra monitor. I have one screen showing my application. Then this needs another screen for the preview. And a 3rd screen is needed for OBS control and other windows!
Not necessarily. The fullscreen preview is a separated window itself. I don't give Zoom the screen, just the preview window, which can stay in the background. You only need a 2nd or 3rd screen, if you want to monitor yourself. For my scenario I'm actually doing that. OBS hotkeys are still working to switch scenes, I don't have to go into OBS to do that. I was surprised how good that combination worked.

PeterG

Thanks here, I’m definitely going to give this a try. Can also confirm 4.6.10 and OBS together ok.

Stay safe and well everyone.

CY24

I don't know if this is of any interest to you guys, but I thought maybe someone might find this information useful or interesting.

After many hours of struggeling with Zoom, virtualcam and NDI, I found a way to broadcast my OBS output without any tools directly to Zoom in cristal clear HD. The solution is quite simple, yet efficient. But before I go there: Zoom seems to use two different algorithms/codecs. One for webcam feeds and one for the sharing feature. The video compression algorithm doesn't work well with non-regular webcam feeds, that's why the quality is really poor. It's not supposed to work with that information. The compression algorithm for the sharing feature on the other hand is a whole different story. It seems to be designed for transfering regular display content, which makes totally sense. This is at least a strong guess of mine after hours of trying to get it to work properly.
The solution: I use OBS regularly without virtualcam or NDI. OBS has a neat feature, a fullscreen preview... I simply use Zoom's sharing feature to broadcast my OBS preview screen and voilà, cristal clear HD video transfer, lag free. No patch, no third party tools, no nothing needed. Plus, I have total control of my OBS output as usual.
This might just be the solution I'm looking for! Do you know if you can also share the audio from the webcam mic? I have a sony camcorder and Elgato hd 60

heye

This might just be the solution I'm looking for! Do you know if you can also share the audio from the webcam mic? I have a sony camcorder and Elgato hd 60
I don't have a capture card, so I don't know if I actually understood you. But you don't need to "share" the mic, you could just select it, right?

bradtem

Not necessarily. The fullscreen preview is a separated window itself. I don't give Zoom the screen, just the preview window, which can stay in the background. You only need a 2nd or 3rd screen, if you want to monitor yourself. For my scenario I'm actually doing that. OBS hotkeys are still working to switch scenes, I don't have to go into OBS to do that. I was surprised how good that combination worked.
How are OBS hotkeys switching scenes for you when you have focus on the main screen or window you are capturing to show with OBS? This is a major problem for me. I have my slides in one window, and it needs focus for me to control it. When I want to change scenes I need to move focus to OBS, do the hotkey there, then get focus back to the presentation program. I am using a program called AutoHotKey to assign some keys always to the presentation (pgup/pgdn) and my OBS hotkeys always to OBS, but it's a pain.

EvanE

Ciao.
Just did both update (OBS 25.0.4 and ZOOM 4.6.10) and appear to run correctly the Virtualcam....

I have these versions running, but Zoom doesn't detect my Virtualcam. Microsoft Teams does detect the OBS-camera, so at least it's working there.
I tried uninstalling Zoom (I previously updated from an older version), rebooting, and installing the latest version of Zoom, but still no result in Zoom. I didn't try any of the patches mentioned here earlier, but since the latest messages seem to suggest it should work correctly now in Zoom without any patch, I am not sure what my next step should be. Any ideas?

EvanE

Just tried the patcher of Vaxerski, but I get the following error:
Screenshot - 10-4-2020 , 17_28_51.png

heye

How are OBS hotkeys switching scenes for you when you have focus on the main screen or window you are capturing to show with OBS? This is a major problem for me. I have my slides in one window, and it needs focus for me to control it. When I want to change scenes I need to move focus to OBS, do the hotkey there, then get focus back to the presentation program. I am using a program called AutoHotKey to assign some keys always to the presentation (pgup/pgdn) and my OBS hotkeys always to OBS, but it's a pain.
As far as I understand the hotkeys they seem to work globally. During my last meeting I used the hotkeys and the application I was actually working with reacted on the entry as well. So I'm not sure why they don't work on your side. But as you are using a third party application to control stuff, that may interfere somehow.

thunderbolt19

Hi everyone, this morning I downloaded zoominstaller (latest version) again and I opened OBS contextually asking me for an update. Nothing to do, the camera (xiaomi notebook) opens for only one of the two applications at a time, if I first open OBS and do 'video capture', then Zoom signals me error and does not make me appear in the room, the other way around, if I open first zoom, then on OBS does not show me in video capture. Please, how can I solve it?

ps sorry I'm writing with the translator. Thank you

JTLiuzza

Thanks to everyone for the tips in this thread. Updated Zoom this afternoon and the OBS virtual cam is working fine.

Venicenerd

Hey guys,

Are all of you on windows? I’m on a Mac and the latest version of zoom still hasn’t fixed the virtual cam problem for me. None of my virtual cams are showing up with the latest update on MacOS.

Thanks!

Voidscream

Hey there,

I have a quite similar problem. I have to use Zoom and want to share my screen with different scenes. One scene is an image, one scene just my normal webcam input and one scene my webbrowser content with a facecam.

I installed virtualcam and that program was also detected as webcam and is also useable, but only with low resolution and a pretty strong latency. When it comes to sound, my mic is working, but because of the latency very off.

When I share a preview screen of obs while using zoom, it works for the image and the facecam but not for the shared view with my facecam. But latency and quality seems to be good.

So is there also a solution with virutalcam without the problem of low resolution and high latency? I read all the threads and the shared preview might work for me as well, but right now I can't find the right setting.

Thanks for the help

Hugosg

Hi,
running with the same issue than EvanE with zoom v. 5
any idea how to solve this?

Attachments

• Screenshot - 10-4-2020 , 17_28_51.png
    Screenshot - 10-4-2020 , 17_28_51.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 45

Hugosg

Hi I found this other solution
it worked for me. Zoom recognize obs smoothly