Question / Help OBS VirtualCam not working with Zoom

PeterG

Hi Rysard, Thanks for your post above on use of ndi.tv/tools. I've downloaded the plugin via windows installer. I have opened obs, and set NDI outputs settings Main Output to "OBS"
Sould I set Preview output to OBS Preview also ?
After this I amd not sure I understand your next instruction.....
"Then from the ndi virtual output (you have to right click on it in the task bar), you activate obs (is under your computer name and then obs). " I have only the OBS icon in my task bar. I dont see any NDI things in my task bar. I dont see anything which says NDI Virtual Output.
In Zoom client (4.6.9) I still have only my webcam and OBS - which Zoom is disallowing.
If you able to help with this stage I would be most grateful.

Thanks & regards
PeterG

tommyOBS

Ok. The best answer right now is the use of ndi tools (https://ndi.tv/tools/ - is free but not open source) and the obs plug in for ndi (https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.7.1). From the ndi tools you need only the ndi virtual imput. After you instal the ndi plugin, from tools/ndi output setings you activate main output (default is obs). Then from the ndi virtual output (you have to right click on it in the task bar), you activate obs (is under your computer name and then obs). Zoom will then see a "newtek ndi video" as a video source. It works with the last zoom. Is more complicated but until the virtual cam plugin works again, is a nice workaround to have.
This worked great for me. This workaround means you don't need to downgrade Zoom or disable automatic updates and you can still use OBS. I am a paid Zoom user and have raised a ticket to get OBS Virtual Cam working again but I am not holding my breath.

PeterG

OK I'm now seeing Newtek NDI Video as a choice in Zoom and Zoom seems to be allowing it. But its not picking up the video from OBS

PeterG

Me again, All sorted. I had two issues that I'll share in case they help others.
1. I hadn't installed the actual BDI Tools suite. I had only downloaded the plug-in.
2. After installing NDI Tools and re-installing the plug-in and rebooting everything I found the NDI plugin in icon in my popup of applications at the right hand end of the task bar. Once I found that, and my Computer name I was able to make the correct selection.

THanks for all the work on this forum room guys. Appreciated.

KangaRoute

It's 4/3/2020 now, and there's been a new version of Zoom (4.6.9) released since the quoted post. New version was on April 1 (of all days!) due to, it seems, some security access issues / zero day root stuff going on in 4.6.8. There's other advice here on the OBS forum to downgrade to 4.6.7 (which does get things working again) but in light of these security issues that meant a new Zoom release, that's probably not a good idea at this point.

The patch from forum admin R1CH also works with the new version of Zoom (4.6.9).
... Zoom seems to try and do DLL verification ... this patch to disable the checks which are blocking obs-virtualcam from loading ...

KangaRoute

The latest version of Zoom seems to try and do DLL verification ...

Wow, are they really just looking at the DLL and doing a "if source = 'virtual cam' then error"? That seems a pretty jerky way to fix the problem of a massive untrained user base. :(

Dontech

If you look in the Zoom folder you will see DLLSafeCheck.dll.old, replace DLLSafeCheck.dll with this backed up version. Or just reinstall Zoom.
Thanks for this, both the patch and the info about the "dllSafeCheck.dll.old" file.

PeterG

I got OBS and Zoom happily co-existing with 4.6.8 and the patch. I think I’m going to leave it like that at least for tomorow. I’m all set up for Virtual Church on Zoom with OBS doing all my graphics and stuff and I’m reluctant to mess with it now (Sat evening, UK). I’ll test 4.6.9 with patch on Monday maybe. I did try NDI tools but my laptop ran out of steam and maxxed out the CPU at 100% so decided not to risk that.

Bytebean

Thanks for this, both the patch and the info about the "dllSafeCheck.dll.old" file.
R1CH's patch comes up on my system as infected with Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A
Thanks for publishing the patch but virus total reports lots of positives for this patch... although I expect that they are false.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...4e1d1b5bdc7d76daa7ffb644e4518705109/detection

Do you have the source code available? I would feel more comfortable comiling from source any patch of this nature... I am sure others are the same :)