Question / Help OBS VirtualCam not working with Zoom

vaxerski

Rich & vaxerski, you guys are legends. For some reason, Rich's patch didn't work for me, but compiling vaxerski's and running it worked fine. You guys have helped save my wife's zoom-based tutoring business, this is why I love the open source community.

you could just download the compiled exe and dll from the releases tab but you do you.

Glad I could help.

bradtem

If you haven't, launch the NDI Virtual Input application from within the NDI Tools set. You'll find it in the Windows Start menu under 'NDI 4 Tools'.

Once launched the NDI Virtual Input app shows up as a brown square icon in the Windows taskbar. It will scan for available NDI sources and allow you to select them by bringing up the menu (right mouse click) on that brown icon. If you have OBS up and running with the NDI plug-in you should see it listed there (with the same "Main Output name" you specified in the NDI Output Settings menu in OBS (Tools -> NDI Output Settings)).

Also, installed along with the NDI tools is a PDF document called "Introduction to NDI". You'll see it among the items in the 'NDI 4 Tools' item in the Windows Start menu, so just select that and you'll find yourself reading a very helpful document about how NDI works. Section 9 of that document "Send NDI Video to Skype" is particular useful as it describes the virtual input process for Skype as a use case, but Zoom is pretty much exactly the same.

Further update. I did not install NDI with "run and windows startup" as I generally do not like programs to run a boot. However, not having done so I could not find any other way to start it. Any clues? Anyway, I reinstalled with that, and now it is working and I have the taskbar icon, BUT...

Sadly it's not very usable. Quickly it develops a long latency, as much as a second, and since the sound is going directly, voice and video get way out of sync. So that's not a tool I can use.

Doubly upsetting because I just found that obs-virtualcam does not appear as a camera to the browser for programs like hangouts, and a new tool I was using today that used webrtc, hopin. I would swear I had obs-virtualcam working in hangout before, so did I miss something? It picks ups the physical cameras, and the virtual cameras from NDI and Prezi, but does not see OBS. Any hints on getting obs-virtualcam into web based video apps, or did I just break something?

mados123

I made a github repo for my own fixer for that issue, and I am planning for now on updating it whenever it stops working.
both methods work for me, for now.
Whenever something stops working I'll also make a new release so you don't have to build it yourself
repo here
hope I'm not breaking any rules, just want to help
Awesome work, Vaxerski! i just started with OBS and Zoom (with all this free time now) and was using Zoom 4.6.7 that was the last version before they broke the DLLs. Then they forced updates to the old app w/o permission. Your patch works great for me. Thank you and thanks for your said dedication to update it when necessary.

DigiDAD

I made a github repo for my own fixer for that issue, and I am planning for now on updating it whenever it stops working.
both methods work for me, for now.
Whenever something stops working I'll also make a new release so you don't have to build it yourself

repo here

hope I'm not breaking any rules, just want to help

Your patcher is also flagged by Windows SmartScreen as well as my AntiVirus and Malware software.

DJPedram

Hi Guys, i make a little setup with all this commands... enjoy
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2mysht06mb1fn0/ZoomOldInstallerFull.exe?dl=1

Hey. I uninstall my Zoom. Installed your file.

Here is what I have done so far.
On my laptop with 1 webcam. I have setup scene in OBS. I want to use my webcam in OBS for myself.
I will have my Zoom Camera turned off.
I will use the screen capture in OBS to capture my guest video.
Then I want to use the Virtual Cam (start) to broadcast in my Zoom application.

I have been unsuccessful. Let me know if you can help.

Running Zoom 4.5.2
OBS 25.0.4

vaxerski

Your patcher is also flagged by Windows SmartScreen as well as my AntiVirus and Malware software.

As I've said a million times and mentioned it in the readme, every injector will get flagged by some antiviruses.

Nevertheless, if you're calling an open source program a virus or a malware, I'd assume you've read the code and you can pinpoint exactly what is wrong. If you want to call it a virus, prove it. I can safely assure you it's not.

Klagio

It's because you still have a patched DLL. Reinstall zoom and try my patcher. Remember to use 1.0a cuz it fixed the screensharing problem.
Ohh now I get it. Please call it 1.1 because 1.0a is BELOW, and it looks like a previous version, not the most recent.

To install your patch I have to do as below?
1) disable antivirus
2) launch your patch
3) enable antivirus again
4) launch Zoom

and freom there the patch is always valid? Or do I have to launch it everytime I restart windows?

vaxerski

Ohh now I get it. Please call it 1.1 because 1.0a is BELOW, and it looks like a previous version, not the most recent.

To install your patch I have to do as below?
1) disable antivirus
2) launch your patch
3) enable antivirus again
4) launch Zoom

and freom there the patch is always valid? Or do I have to launch it everytime I restart windows?

Some antiviruses like my GData for example allow me to exclude the exe from their filters, you can try that.
If yours does not and it detects the exe, you'll have to probably keep it off while the patcher is running.
Also you need to run the patch everytime before you run zoom for now, and leave it in the background.

Yes idk why it's below tbh, I will when I'll manage to fix some issues I'm having with the new code I'm trying to implement rn,
I'm working on making the patcher to be able to close after injecting into the main process and on triggering less antiviruses.

NDI from what I've read uses more resources, my patcher doesn't, that's what it's better at I guess

Artem.ru

78781827-9d142b00-79a9-11ea-9344-653e841ec2fd.png

The latest ZOOM update fixes a virtual camera issue.

heye

I don't know if this is of any interest to you guys, but I thought maybe someone might find this information useful or interesting.

After many hours of struggeling with Zoom, virtualcam and NDI, I found a way to broadcast my OBS output without any tools directly to Zoom in cristal clear HD. The solution is quite simple, yet efficient. But before I go there: Zoom seems to use two different algorithms/codecs. One for webcam feeds and one for the sharing feature. The video compression algorithm doesn't work well with non-regular webcam feeds, that's why the quality is really poor. It's not supposed to work with that information. The compression algorithm for the sharing feature on the other hand is a whole different story. It seems to be designed for transfering regular display content, which makes totally sense. This is at least a strong guess of mine after hours of trying to get it to work properly.
The solution: I use OBS regularly without virtualcam or NDI. OBS has a neat feature, a fullscreen preview... I simply use Zoom's sharing feature to broadcast my OBS preview screen and voilà, cristal clear HD video transfer, lag free. No patch, no third party tools, no nothing needed. Plus, I have total control of my OBS output as usual.

Oleg Male

I've tried to use screen share to transmit VLC player output, but resulted frame rate was about 10 FPS instead of 30 FPS with the same content transmitted via virtual camera.

I use OBS regularly without virtualcam or NDI. OBS has a neat feature, a fullscreen preview... I simply use Zoom's sharing feature to broadcast my OBS preview screen and voilà, cristal clear HD video transfer, lag free. No patch, no third party tools, no nothing needed. Plus, I have total control of my OBS output as usual.