Question / Help OBS Stutters always even though my computer is a beast...

remembadaname

Snag_499b1ed.png

Snag_49df8a7.png

Why with these settings does my computer record unsmooth/stuttery videos?
I have tested shadowplay and it works fine but i need OBS for the ability to split 3 different audio channels...
Can someone provide me options? im at a loss here.

Also i have tried NVENC/NVENC NEW and nothing helps or makes it better...

Attachments

• 2019-08-19 18-10-58.txt
    50.4 KB · Views: 36

TryHD

either your RAM is crap or your drive E, or you have gsync on. Beside that your encoding settings are crap, use CRF and veryfast if you use x264 or CQP if you use nvenc for recording and use mkv.

TryHD

depends on what filesize you aim at, crf 17 should be good. If you need more quality you can lower the value.
0 = lossless
52=very small but useless quality

RaffaSK

Eu tenho esse mesmo problema, e eu tentei de tudo, minha configuração é I7-9700K | RTX2060 6 gb | 24GB de RAM, eu também tenho G-Sync ligado, isso influencia? o jogo flui perfeitamente, mas o obs tem queda de fps de 60 para 40 ~ 30.

TryHD

I thought for recording you wanted around 8-12mbp (8000-12000) for 1080p. I guess I learned something.
If you play chess or so that is fine, but if there happens something actually that is to low. You will get compression artifacts and you won't get them out of your footage no matter what you do and they will worsen with every reencode. So if you edit your stuff and than upload it to youtube that are already 2 additional reencodes. The optimal workflow would be doing lossless till the video is finalised, but that is not always possible, that is why you go with crf so you avoid compression artifacts as much as possible.

D

Deleted member 121471

I thought for recording you wanted around 8-12mbp (8000-12000) for 1080p. I guess I learned something.

That is only true for 1080p@60FPS medium to fast motion sources streaming, not recording, which is why it's not recommended for most streaming services due to bitrate caps.

When recording, you have no such bitrate limitation so you set a fixed quality setting and the encoder will use as much bitrate as needed to maintain it.

remembadaname

Im using low bitrate for testing obs since it never looks smooth like my shadowplay recordings. I tried turning off Gsync and it did nothing.

I tried the CRF at 17 but it is still unsmooth in a video player, video editor(which is understandable), and just rerendering it it is very unsmooth like im missing fps. I get 144fps in game at 1080p with no drops in overwatch so idk why it never records smooth in obs. Any other ideas?

remembadaname

realistically i dont care which one i use x264 or nvenc... I just need settings that give my computer smooth recordings..
Snag_49df8a7.png

I need the ability to record 3 audio files which obs provides.

D

Deleted member 121471

You're overloading your GPU and encoder.

1) Cap your ingame FPS with VSYNC, ingame frame limiter or Riva tuner, I recommend 120FPS for frametime reasons;
2) Use NVENC(new), CQP between 16-23, "Quality" preset, disable "Lookahead" and "Psycho Visual Tuning";
3) Only use one capture source per scene collection, as it leads to a small performance hit and other issues;
4) Switch recording format to .mkv, record, remux to .mp4 after you're done through "File--->Remux Recordings".

Your RAM quality, speed and timings also affect Overwatch performance greatly but that's beyond the scope of this forum and has nothing to do with OBS.

Since you're using GSYNC, NVIDIA recommends turning on VSYNC on the NVIDIA control panel, NOT ingame.

Last edited by a moderator:

TryHD

Your RAM quality, speed and timings also affect Overwatch performance greatly but that's beyond the scope of this forum and has nothing to do with OBS.
Actually obs suffers more from slow RAM than games if x264 is used. In my tests i wasn't able to record 720 60 fps superfast if my ram was 1066mhz cl17 while if i set the timings to 4000 mhz cl17 i record 1080p 60 fps medium flawless. Also don't forget, if you record on a slow HDD and your bitrate exceeds the speed of it you end up with encoder overload messages.

D

Deleted member 121471

Actually obs suffers more from slow RAM than games if x264 is used. In my tests i wasn't able to record 720 60 fps superfast if my ram was 1066mhz cl17 while if i set the timings to 4000 mhz cl17 i record 1080p 60 fps medium flawless. Also don't forget, if you record on a slow HDD and your bitrate exceeds the speed of it you end up with encoder overload messages.

I didn't know OBS could be that affected by RAM, thank you for the info!

remembadaname

You're overloading your GPU and encoder.

1) Cap your ingame FPS with VSYNC, ingame frame limiter or Riva tuner, I recommend 120FPS for frametime reasons;
2) Use NVENC(new), CQP between 16-23, "Quality" preset, disable "Lookahead" and "Psycho Visual Tuning";
3) Only use one capture source per scene collection, as it leads to a small performance hit and other issues;
4) Switch recording format to .mkv, record, remux to .mp4 after you're done through "File--->Remux Recordings".

Since you're using GSYNC, NVIDIA recommends turning on VSYNC on the NVIDIA control panel, NOT ingame.

I am using this ram which should be more than fast enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTDEYHU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cant use mkv cuz it only allows for 1 audio source when i need the 3 that can be used with mp4.
A question on turning on Vsync in the Nvidia control panel... should i do that per game?

I plan on expanding my ram to 32 gb next month as well

D

Deleted member 121471

A question on turning on Vsync in the Nvidia control panel... should i do that per game?

I plan on expanding my ram to 32 gb next month as well

I can't check my NVIDIA system right now so can't answer if it's per game profile or if there's a global setting.

If you're running that ram set at 3200Mhz with the default timings and the same memory channel, RAM isn't an issue, though it's weird picking up a quad channel CPU and only using 2 memory sticks.