OBS Studio 28.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaiSand

I could not find the edit button so I'll just post here. I forgot to mention that I was using AMF in the previous version of OBS. I think this was my last stable configuration:

What's the equivalent to this in OBS 28? I can't pick that particular encoder anymore.

As it's stated on the release notes in OBS 28 there's a new AMD encoder.
Do the intelligent thing and run the Auto-configuration Wizard, apply the settings it gives, restart OBS and test.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Anyone has any idea why this happens? With the new AMD encoder the recording (And stream if I try) runs fine but eventually (Usually in a minute or two) the skipped frames due to encoding lag start to dramatically go up and eventually turn red (And the percentage goes quite higher as time goes on too)

View attachment 86124

My encoding graph suddenly looks like this
View attachment 86126

CPU usage stays quite stable and nothing really lags on my end, it's just the recording and stream that start to skip frames like there's no tomorrow. This is my current configuration:

View attachment 86128

You guys can probably see what's up I guess. I used something similar with the older encoder in OBS 27 and everything worked just fine. Never had these weird spikes that DO NOT stop afterwards, it just keeps going up.
We would need to see a log file from OBS 27 where it was seemingly fine and a log file from OBS 28 where it is not to diagnose further. Additionally, please try without any AMF/FFmpeg Options.

Seeing your other post with photos, the equivalent settings would be something like this:
  • Preset: Balanced
  • Max B-frames: 4
Remove the options from the AMF/FFmpeg Options field.

The problem you're likely running into is trying to use the Quality Preset instead of Balanced.

videored

As it's stated on the release notes in OBS 28 there's a new AMD encoder.
Do the intelligent thing and run the Auto-configuration Wizard, apply the settings it gives, restart OBS and test.
On my end the auto configuration wizard always returned a configuration that frankly, just sucks. Low audio bit rate, a ridiculous downscale in resolution, everything far lower than my PC can actually accomplish.

My previous configuration with AMD AMF H.264/AVC (Which no longer appears on the list of encoding options to boot) worked fine for 60 FPS @ 1920x1080. Never had an issue during streams nor during recordings. Now the wizard is again telling me to downscale to 853x480(!!!). Of course it's going to run better, because it's asking me to lower my stream quality a LOT.

We would need to see a log file from OBS 27 where it was seemingly fine and a log file from OBS 28 where it is not to diagnose further. Additionally, please try without any AMF/FFmpeg Options.

Seeing your other post with photos, the equivalent settings would be something like this:

The problem you're likely running into is trying to use the Quality Preset instead of Balanced.
I already tried without the options, same result. I'll try with the balanced preset and max b-frames next.

videored

Alright, report time. It went well until the minute 3:30, then the encoding lag frames went up by 100 a second and that basically never stopped. Pretty much the same result as earlier.

I don't have OBS 27 anymore (And even if I had it my plugins were all upgraded to OBS 28 so the testing would lack some parity). I guess I'll download a portable copy of 27 and just create a simple new scene and record for a few minutes to get the log. Doesn't look like my scenes are the problem in 28 after all because even if I'm recording a still image with nothing else this issue still pops up.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Alright, report time. It went well until the minute 3:30, then the encoding lag frames went up by 100 a second and that basically never stopped. Pretty much the same result as earlier.

I don't have OBS 27 anymore (And even if I had it my plugins were all upgraded to OBS 28 so the testing would lack some parity). I guess I'll download a portable copy of 27 and just create a simple new scene and record for a few minutes to get the log. Doesn't look like my scenes are the problem in 28 after all because even if I'm recording a still image with nothing else this issue still pops up.
Even a log file from just OBS 28 would be helpful. It would have far more diagnostic information than just the screenshots.

videored

Even a log file from just OBS 28 would be helpful. It would have far more diagnostic information than just the screenshots.
Sorry, I was doing some clean up in the logfiles' folder so I could be sure to upload an accurate file. Here's the log from my last recording, it started well and then it went to hell past minute 2. I did this test run using my standard twitch scene collection so it's fairly complex but that never mattered before anyway so I assume it wont impact the reason behind this that much.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Sorry, I was doing some clean up in the logfiles' folder so I could be sure to upload an accurate file. Here's the log from my last recording, it started well and then it went to hell past minute 2. I did this test run using my standard twitch scene collection so it's fairly complex but that never mattered before anyway so I assume it wont impact the reason behind this that much.

Ah, Polaris. For one, neither B-Frames nor HighMotionQualityBoostEnable are supported on that GPU, so you can remove them entirely. You can also reset Max B-Frames to 0, as it's otherwise ignored. On such a device, you may need to set the Preset to Speed. As far as I'm aware, the recommendations for Polaris GPUs (RX 4xx/5xx) are:
  • 1080p60: Speed
  • 1080p30: Speed/Balanced
  • 720p60: Balanced/Quality
  • 720p30: Balanced/Quality
Those may depend on other system resource usage, of course.

If you want to continue debugging/testing on Balanced, I'll need to see a log of a stream test, and also a separate log of a recording test with a blank scene collection to compare. Though, instead of continuing to debug/test here, I would recommend joining our Discord server and reaching out to @Flaeri (Flaeri#0687).

Finally, for recording, you don't want to use CBR. Use CQP with a value between 15 and 20, or use VBR. Though, I suspect this was just a test substitute for streaming.

videored

Ah, Polaris. For one, neither B-Frames nor HighMotionQualityBoostEnable are supported on that GPU, so you can remove them entirely. You can also reset Max B-Frames to 0, as it's otherwise ignored. On such a device, you may need to set the Preset to Speed. As far as I'm aware, the recommendations for Polaris GPUs (RX 4xx/5xx) are:
  • 1080p60: Speed
  • 1080p30: Speed/Balanced
  • 720p60: Balanced/Quality
  • 720p30: Balanced/Quality
Those may depend on other system resource usage, of course.

If you want to continue debugging/testing on Balanced, I'll need to see a log of a stream test, and also a separate log of a recording test with a blank scene collection to compare. Though, instead of continuing to debug/test here, I would recommend joining our Discord server and reaching out to @Flaeri (Flaeri#0687).

Finally, for recording, you don't want to use CBR. Use CQP with a value between 15 and 20, or use VBR. Though, I suspect this was just a test substitute for streaming.

Yes it was just a test to substitute streaming. I removed the options you told me earlier from the bottom of the configuration but for some reason I keep seeing stuff like HighMotionQualityBoostEnable in the log, why is that?

Also what I'm wondering is, why do I have to jump through so many hoops and compromise the quality of the recording and the stream when my previous configuration with AMF on OBS 27 worked just fine? How come I have to go all the way down to the speed preset when I was using the quality one until yesterday when I moved to 28? Isn't the new encoder supposed to be better in every way? What am I missing here then? I assume I just can't go back to my previous encoder whatsoever while using OBS28, right?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yes it was just a test to substitute streaming. I removed the options you told me earlier from the bottom of the configuration but for some reason I keep seeing stuff like HighMotionQualityBoostEnable in the log, why is that?

Also what I'm wondering is, why do I have to jump through so many hoops and compromise the quality of the recording and the stream when my previous configuration with AMF on OBS 27 worked just fine? How come I have to go all the way down to the speed preset when I was using the quality one until yesterday when I moved to 28? Isn't the new encoder supposed to be better in every way? What am I missing here then? I assume I just can't go back to my previous encoder whatsoever while using OBS28, right?
Be advised that the congestion mechanisms between streaming and recording differ slightly (network congestion vs. disk write/buffer speed), so those aren't perfectly 1:1 comparisons.

As to why you still see mentions of HighMotionQualityBoostEnable, I'd have to double check our code and see a log to fully understand what's happening there. We disable it by default, and the hardware that doesn't support it might throw a warning if it doesn't have access to that setting. The warning is safe to ignore.

As to the remaining questions, the new encoder is a full rewrite from scratch of the encoder plugin with guidance from AMD. We do not necessarily expect it to perform exactly like the old implementation. It's possible that it's more optimized for current, modern hardware, given that it was written and tested rather recently, and that the previous implementation has better performance for older hardware. The old encoder has been deprecated, and therefore hidden from the main UI to prevent user confusion about why there are two AMD encoders and which one to pick.

If you wish to continue investigating AMF settings, troubleshooting performance issues, or even just discussing AMF, I recommend joining our Discord server and reaching out to @Flaeri (Flaeri#0687).

YarsHorror

Reverted a change causing video capture device settings to be reset when used [Jim]
NOTE: This reverts the automatic saving of video capture device configuration settings. This will be reintroduced in a future version.
Bad news (

vansontv

Can anyone tell me if the problem is unrelated, I've been using OBS for a few years, I've been streaming 24/24 but OBS it stopped working at 8 o'clock, can anyone tell me how to make it run 24/24?

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
After installing the hotfix, the webcam stopped saving settings.
Reverted a change causing video capture device settings to be reset when used [Jim]
NOTE: This reverts the automatic saving of video capture device configuration settings. This will be reintroduced in a future version.
Bad news (
Correct. As you've found in our 28.0.1 patch notes, we had to revert that feature because it was breaking settings for non-webcam devices, such as capture cards. We will revisit it in a future release.

Can anyone tell me if the problem is unrelated, I've been using OBS for a few years, I've been streaming 24/24 but OBS it stopped working at 8 o'clock, can anyone tell me how to make it run 24/24?
For this sort of question, I recommend seeking assistance on our Discord server or in the appropriate "OBS Studio Support" sub-forum. Be prepared to provide log files for a working session and a session where OBS stopped working.

AptiX1

Found a bug. In the "Video Capture Device" if you select the video format "H264" in the logs begins to pile up a large number of errors. But if you select "MJPEG" or "YUY2" video format, no errors occur.
I don't know about other capture cards, but it happens on AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 plus (GC513).

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Found a bug. In the "Video Capture Device" if you select the video format "H264" in the logs begins to pile up a large number of errors. But if you select "MJPEG" or "YUY2" video format, no errors occur.
I don't know about other capture cards, but it happens on AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 plus (GC513).
Does the capture card still work in OBS despite the logged error messages?

energizerfellow

See if the issue goes away after updating to the latest firmware on the Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus (GC513). The device has seen numerous firmware updates over the years, including recent updates specific to Windows 11 support.

eragonpry

new update after ndi plugin show error how fix

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-05 105205.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-05 105205.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 52

kobratrading

new update after ndi plugin show error how fix
How about you try reading through other posts & threads like we all did, to find a temporary work-around. Pretty short sighted to just come post that. Clearly you haven't read anything either in these forums, or even did a github search.

AptiX1

Does the capture card still work in OBS despite the logged error messages?
Yes, it works. I just don't think it should log such errors.
See if the issue goes away after updating to the latest firmware on the Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus (GC513). The device has seen numerous firmware updates over the years, including recent updates specific to Windows 11 support.
I have already updated GC513 to the latest version.

azaire1180

Hello, I would like to send you a bug:

When I launch several audio applications, obs bug on mac ARM (wave link + spotify+streamdeck )

It worked well on the old version, can you explain to me why?

The sound becomes very weird at times and necessarily I have to cut everything.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-08-31 à 03.19.25.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-08-31 à 03.19.25.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.