OBS Studio 23.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overflow

Even with a 2080 Ti and a GTX 1080 at my disposal (NDI user) i feel Nvenc just doesn't work. Trying the highest quality possible at 7k bitrate and it is almost crap compared to x264 faster. I have been streaming at 100 fps for a while and it is even more noticeable there. I'm glad i can choose x264, but the issue is OBS is such a hog for the videocard for the rendering job. As soon as a game takes more than 84% gpu recources, frames are lost due to rendering. There's gotta be a way to lower that somehow. It's pretty much the difference between medium and high settings in game. I have done all the steps to make in game % lower, limit fps at 100, limit hz on screen to 100 etc.
It's simple, you need to cap your fps more until your gpu have sufficient headroom for OBS. Try cap it to 90fps, after that, try 80fps etc... Don't change your screen hz, only cap fps with in-game frame limiter or RivaTuner.

Yeah, that's what i am doing. 100 fps is ok to play, but below that and i am starting getting motion sickness. Have to play older games at medium to stay below 85% on a 2080 ti. Feels silly.

Overflow

Yeah, that's what i am doing. 100 fps is ok to play, but below that and i am starting getting motion sickness. Have to play older games at medium to stay below 85% on a 2080 ti. Feels silly.
Motion sickness is only in your mind, people can play at 30fps without problem, i can't believe you can't play under 100fps come on... if you want to stream and play with a single PC, this is the compromise. You HAVE to cap your fps and/or drop down your in game graphics settings until OBS have enough headroom. There aren't other solutions.

Selphadur

Motion sickness is only in your mind, people can play at 30fps without problem, i can't believe you can't play under 100fps come on... if you want to stream and play with a single PC, this is the compromise. You HAVE to cap your fps and/or drop down your in game graphics settings until OBS have enough headroom. There aren't other solutions.
Of course people can play at 30fps who are used to it. I used to it when I was a child. Most of us were used to it when they were kids or had low-end PCs. But when you go 60+ fps you can't go back. At least I can't. My eyes start to hurt and I start to feel dizzy if I play at 30fps. For the same reason I hesitate to play at like 90fps 90hz or 144hz 144fps, because I feel when I will get used to it it would be hard to come back, so I cap framerate at 60fps. At least for now.

sonezu

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for my request but I cannot enable the proper key on the second decklink output of my decklink duo (which has no internal keyer as far as I know).
I've switched colors to RGB but don't have a proper black/white key out on my second sdi-output.
Fill on both outputs work great!

DDRBoxman

Developer
@sonezu, some quick things to check. Make sure that the connectors are bound in the Desktop video software. Also remember that the connectors don't match the device names.

Decklink duo (1) should be bound to sd1 & sdi1 and Decklink Duo (2) should be bound to sdi3 & sdi 4 in the desktop video app. Then you should be able to output to Decklink Duo (1) or Decklink Duo (2) in the OBS UI.

I'm working on having OBS auto config these settings, but it needs more work.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonezu

@sonezu, some quick things to check. Make sure that the connectors are bound in the Desktop video software. Also remember that the connectors don't match the device names.

Decklink duo (1) should be bound to sd1 & sdi1 and Decklink Duo (2) should be bound to sdi3 & sdi 4 in the desktop video app. Then you should be able to output to Decklink Duo (1) or Decklink Duo (2) in the OBS UI.

I'm working on having OBS auto config these settings, but it needs more work.
That goes for the 2nd generation as well as for the 1st (which we use)?

Hi,
For some reason my OBS randomly freezes and I get encoding and rendering lag.

I'm running two computers with capture cards hooked up.
Black Magic Intensity Pro 4k - Gameplay
Avermedia LGX - Facecam

My dedicated streaming computer got an GTX 1050 for nvenc only.
GPU usage is about 40% when streaming, CPU usage is about 30-40%
But I'm getting sudden spikes in performance where my 1050 GPU suddenly drops to 0% and then spikes up to 100% before stabilizing at 40% again.
Partnered streamer, running 1080p60 output

Again, I'm using a dedicated streaming rig.

Clip of frame drop:
https://clips.twitch.tv/AttractiveAstuteSandstormTwitchRPG

Running OBS 23. RC2

NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (new)
CBR 6000
Max Quality
High
Look-ahead: yes
Psycho Visual Tuning: Yes
Max B-frames 4

Specs:
GTX 1050
AMD FX-8350
32GB DDR3
Win 10

Log attached.
What can I do?

Also seems like OBS is having problems if I flick or move my mouse really fast around as well.
Bitrate spikes to 9k+ even though "Enforce streaming service encoder settings" are checked.

Best Regards.
Daniel Lange

I would probably remove these sources, test without them. Could be one of them or the filters within the sources are causing it. Give it a try.

20:42:09.199: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds (source: bokeh)
20:42:09.199:
20:42:09.221: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 42 milliseconds (source: CleanMoving)
20:42:09.221:
20:42:17.214: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 64 milliseconds (source: bokeh)
20:42:17.214:
20:42:17.235: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 85 milliseconds (source: CleanMoving)
20:42:17.235:
20:42:25.255: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 106 milliseconds (source: CleanMoving)
20:42:25.255:
20:42:49.265: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 128 milliseconds (source: bokeh)
20:42:49.265:
20:42:53.925: Max audio buffering reached!
20:42:53.925: adding 832 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 960 milliseconds (source: facecam)

It will make your stream stutter and most likely make audio out of sync

Valcry

Is my understanding correct, that it's not longer possible to record and stream simultanously in two differen Resolutions using the new NVENC Encoder?

That would be quite bad.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Is my understanding correct, that it's not longer possible to record and stream simultanously in two differen Resolutions using the new NVENC Encoder?

That would be quite bad.
Currently, correct, and that's a limitation on NVIDIA's end (I think). As soon as they provide the ability, we will expose it again.

RYAM77

Sometimes, I am unable to record games with the latest build of OBS because there would be an issue where the game capture would not preview and record games. Switching encoders, deleting and re-adding scenes, and restarting both the game and OBS did not help. Restarting my PC was a temporary fix before the problem persisted. Is this a problem with older-gen cards, or is it a problem on OBS's end? I run an R5 2600X and a GTX 1080.

From Nvidias new drivers 419.17 that was released yesterday:

What’s New in Version 419.17 WHQL

• Supports NVENC/NVDEC on NVIDIA Turing GPUs
• NVENC API has been updated to support HEVC B-frames on Turing GPUs.
• NVENC API adds the capability to output the encoded bitstream, and motion vectors from Motion-Estimation-only mode to video memory. This avoids the overhead of copying the output from system to video memory for processing pipelines operating directly on video memory.

• NVENC API now accepts CUArray as an input buffer.
The SDK contains a sample application to demonstrate how to feed Vulkan surface to NVENC using VulkanCUDA interop.

jellysandwich

• NVENC API adds the capability to output the encoded bitstream, and motion vectors from Motion-Estimation-only mode to video memory. This avoids the overhead of copying the output from system to video memory for processing pipelines operating directly on video memory.
The SDK contains a sample application to demonstrate how to feed Vulkan surface to NVENC using VulkanCUDA interop.

Pretty vague description there, so I downloaded the new video codec SKD 9.0 - this was in the release notes:

In NVIDIA Video Codec SDK release 9.0, following features have been added:
Encode Features::
1. Improved encoded quality for Turing GPUs
2. HEVC B-frame support (Turing GPUs only)
3. Encoded output in video memory
4. H.264 ME only mode output in video memory.
5. Non-reference P frames
6. Support for accepting CUArray as input

Does this mean that turing gpus get better quality now with the new drivers? Or did they just list it as a " new feature" even though it's been at max quality all along

(I vaguely remember reading that OBS was using SDK 8 and would upgrade to SDK 9 when it came out)

Pretty vague description there, so I downloaded the new video codec SKD 9.0 - this was in the release notes:

Does this mean that turing gpus get better quality now with the new drivers? Or did they just list it as a " new feature" even though it's been at max quality all along

(I vaguely remember reading that OBS was using SDK 8 and would upgrade to SDK 9 when it came out)

Vague description? I just copied whatever what is said in the release PDF of the driver. I can't just write shit up without a source man.

Overflow

So... Turing can now have better quality NVENC in OBS with this drivers, or... ?

So... Turing can now have better quality NVENC in OBS with this drivers, or... ?
With the current version of OBS, i don't think so. Just a guess here, but i think we have to wait for a final release in a week or two. I have a hard time believing OBS suddenly gets better with a videocard driver update, at least from a quality standpoint.

Remember, OBS is open source and people behind that incredible program do this in their own free time. I feel really spoiled to have such a tool, for free.

Overflow

With the current version of OBS, i don't think so. Just a guess here, but i think we have to wait for a final release in a week or two. I have a hard time believing OBS suddenly gets better with a videocard driver update, at least from a quality standpoint.

Remember, OBS is open source and people behind that incredible program do this in their own free time. I feel really spoiled to have such a tool, for free.
Yes i was talking about the final release. maybe OBS devs can update some kind of stuff in OBS for let it have better quality with Turing Updated Nvenc Codec idk...

Status
Not open for further replies.