OBS Studio 23.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRTY CES

What is the lastest version of directshow for obs. Before this release I was only able to select Elgato Game Capture HD as video source. Now with the new release I was able to select Game Capture HD60 Pro and what I realized was that when I opened the elgato program I was able to put the setting on the HD60pro to best quality and when I selected Game Capture HD60 Pro instead of Elgato Game Capture HD in OBS my stream didn't really get blurry and when I put it back to Elgato Game Capture HD my stream got very blurry. My guess is that if I select Elgato Game Capture HD the best quality setting in the Elgato program doesn't carry over. It only carrys over to OBS if I have Game Capture HD60 Pro as my video capture device. I'll take a picture of the settings when I get home if you like. I did a little google search and it came up as it was directshow. so I was wondering what the latest one is because it may have more settings like picture quality going from good to best like the elgato software.
Hope you guys understood what I was saying, it's hard to explain without pictures.

TimeRocker

Idk why people keep expecting quality equivalent to Medium x264. It was never touted that it would be that good of quality. As far as I can tell with my RTX 2080 with everything set to best possible quality, the current build is somewhere around the quality between Faster and Fast x264, and this is streaming at 1080p60 at 8000kbps. The only issue Ive had is it seems like occasionally it doesnt hold the 60FPS consistently at times, but even so, previously my CPU could always hold the game at 60FPS so I couldnt get that anyway, and now my game is 60FPS 100% of the time from NVENC freeing up my CPU. I did notice however last night that after overclocking my GPU by just 100Mhz, it seemed to REALLY smooth out video and keep the stream at a smooth 60FPS much better than before the overclock.

The main thing is NVENC is completely freeing up your CPU for the most part to be used on a single PC setup, which for most is ideal as a Dual PC Setup shouldnt even be considered until you are partnered or have massive cash just laying around. The current NVENC is WAY better than the previous if you never tried it. Old NVENC was closer to the Super Fast preset with CPU encoding, so this is a big step up.

Padinn

*EDIT* FIXED
Fixed by disabling OBS preview, which was running on secondary monitor.

So my specs:
i9 9900k
RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio
16GB Ram

I am trying the new encoder settings as recommended. It seems like my encoder is constantly overloaded no matter what I do. I am trying to stream at 720p60 at 6k Bitrate to Twitch. I have tried limiting FPS, changing to quality, turning off look ahead, ect. I limited my FPS to 100 in Apex Legends (it renders at pretty much locked 144FPS in game) and it still happens. Is it possible Gsync is the cause of the issue? Like I said, no matter what I do once in game it lags horribly, like 25-30ms render time.

I just discovered when alt tabbed in the background typing this it continues to stream/render and its at .6ms - PERFECT! But as soon as game becomes active window it tanks again to sub 30 fps. I do have OBS set to high priority.

Last edited:

Overflow

So my specs:
i9 9900k
RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio
16GB Ram

I am trying the new encoder settings as recommended. It seems like my encoder is constantly overloaded no matter what I do. I am trying to stream at 720p60 at 6k Bitrate to Twitch. I have tried limiting FPS, changing to quality, turning off look ahead, ect. I limited my FPS to 100 in Apex Legends (it renders at pretty much locked 144FPS in game) and it still happens. Is it possible Gsync is the cause of the issue? Like I said, no matter what I do once in game it lags horribly, like 25-30ms render time.

I just discovered when alt tabbed in the background typing this it continues to stream/render and its at .6ms - PERFECT! But as soon as game becomes active window it tanks again to sub 30 fps. I do have OBS set to high priority.
I heard something about that, yes, Gsync can be the problem. Do a try without it activated if you can.

JollyAustin

PC Specs:
8700K cpu
Gigabyte Z370 HD3P mobo
Quadro P4000 8gb GPU
32gb DDR4 @3200mhz memory

Audio Specs:
ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth adapter
Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds

I can be listening to audio on my PC but as soon as I open up 23.0 RC2 my pc audio mutes and I still see desktop audio being monitored within OBS. If I disable bluetooth and listen with non-bluetooth earbuds that are jacked into the PC and start 23.0 RC2 I get no muting. I believe this could be a bluetooth issue for this test build. Something to look at. Thanks.

Somnia

I cannot use the "chat dock" for mixer. It's defaulting to my primary monitor and is "larger" than I can reach to re-size it. Nothing I can do to change it, tried re-installing and nothing still does it. This was not happening last night though. 3 monitor setup.

*EDIT* I was able to fix this by "reseting" my UI

Vraelon

We're getting close to a release for OBS Studio 23.0. Thanks so much for your feedback so far! It has proved very valuable.

Here is the release candidate for 23.0. This is your last chance to test things out and give feedback on the release before it goes live. The plan is to try to get a full release out in a week or so, depending on how the release candidate performs.

Patch notes and download links: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/23.0.0-rc2

As always, please give feedback on everything you can! You can also leave feedback in the #beta-testing channel on the Discord.

Known issues:
  • The service integration changes currently do not work on Mac or Linux.
    • For Linux, this is because we currently do not have a Linux-compatible version of the obs-browser source. We are aware of other browser source implementations that work on Linux, but we will need to fix the official obs-browser build with Linux before we can add the browser panels that perform the OAuth authorization and show stream chat. This is something we plan on addressing soon, but not in time for 23.0.
    • For Mac, unfortunately there are much more fundamental issues with rendering browser panels in Qt. To make a long story short, we encountered significant crashing issues trying to get browser panels working of Mac, and determined that fixing the issue could end up taking significant time to debug and fix, as the issue may lie in Qt itself. Thus, we're not certain at this time when we will be able to bring the service integration changes to Mac.
  • There's an occasional issue where the outline of hovered sources with the new source outline code won't disappear properly when exiting the preview. This should be resolve before release.
Edit (Jim): Release Candidate 2 has been released, fixing a number of issues:
  • Fixed a bug where there was a chance for a crash on shutdown
  • Fixed a crash when starting certain types of encoders before starting the new NVENC encoder
  • Fixed authentication from the Auto-Configuration dialog not initializing properly
  • Fixed a bug where there was a chance for the program to freeze up when stopping a new NVENC encoder
  • Fixed a number of race conditions and memory leaks, improving the programs overall stability
  • Psycho-Visual Tuning is now enabled by default as a test for RC2
  • Increased the default size of the Twitch "Stream Stats" panel so that affiliates/partners can see their subscriber count/points
  • New NVENC settings are no longer exposed to the older version of NVENC (for now)
  • Added a missing text string for the Remux recordings dialog
  • The slideshow source now will update when you press OK or Apply on its properties rather than when you modify any setting. This prevents the source from reloading its images on any change.
  • Removed unused 'help' icons from from the title bar of many various dialogs, both new and old
CQP is still broken in RC2, bitrate is capped at 128Mbit/s causing blocking and bluring on 4K60FPS local recordings. I opened recordEncoder.json and I see no bitrate cap, only the following:

{
"cqp": 12,
"psycho_aq": false,
"rate_control": "CQP"
}

TheRealNap0le0n

No I haven't streamed a PC game yet. Here is last nights stream. https://youtu.be/H4eC0fh09x0
But for some reason its not looking as bad as when I reviewed it yesterday when my stream was over or when I was live. It happens when I run around. it got so bad that you couldn't make out the names of my last subs and my face was unrecognizable the whole screen was just a blur. my friend has the same i7 7700k we use the same settings and I was watching his stream live it looked 10 times better. my upload isn't a problem it averages around 900 to 950 mbps.

I don't know what to do....... twitch and mixer looks better. I use restream, but so does my friend. it's just so frustrating.
YouTube Re-encodes the video and compresses it heavily thats why it looks bad, Try 1600x900 it's barely perceptible to the eye and will artifact much less. Also I haven't used restream but it could be the case the it is re-encoding as well. BTW if you're affiliated on Twitch restream is against your contract TOS just a heads up.

TheRealNap0le0n

No I haven't streamed a PC game yet. Here is last nights stream. https://youtu.be/H4eC0fh09x0
But for some reason its not looking as bad as when I reviewed it yesterday when my stream was over or when I was live. It happens when I run around. it got so bad that you couldn't make out the names of my last subs and my face was unrecognizable the whole screen was just a blur. my friend has the same i7 7700k we use the same settings and I was watching his stream live it looked 10 times better. my upload isn't a problem it averages around 900 to 950 mbps.

I don't know what to do....... twitch and mixer looks better. I use restream, but so does my friend. it's just so frustrating.
your stream looks good on twitch just not on YouTube FWIW. Also until you get partnered on Twitch you won't have transcodes so you may be limiting your viewership with such high resolutions and bitrates.

TheRealNap0le0n

I know this is a stupid question, but I don't want to loose my sources.

Do I just run the exe and it will update ? or do I uninstall the old ? What is the best method.
you can export your scenes and settings just to be sure, it's wise to save them after working on them for a long time anyhow

SunnyMoney

This is not true. There are already plenty of Videos on YouTube from non sponsored People which compare the quality with x264 veryfast, fast and even Medium. The RTX NVENC Quality is at least as good as fast and almost comparable to something between fast and medium.

It depends on the game honestly. I can say on my GTX 1080ti, when I use new NVENC and tested The Division it looked ok honestly 8000 bitrate, high qulaity, 2 keyframe, psycho visual and look ahead off at 900p. But with Titanfall and Apex, they use a lot of GPU, so I had to downscale to 720p for them use bicubic. It was pretty I have to admit, when i stood still but when i started running, sliding shooting, it either got really pixelated or started dropping frames

Really love the automatic remux feature. Though, I would really love if I could set a separate directory for those automatic remuxes. I record to local storage to ensure good speed when recording higher quality footage, but then remux to an external drive for long-term storage.

SunnyMoney

RTX Nvenc is not Medium quality when streaming, it's worse than veryfast. Horrible. Why would they say it's close to Medium quality. Play any fast motion game and the quality is just really bad.

it depends on the game honestly. I can say on my GTX 1080ti, when I use new NVENC and tested The Division it looked ok honestly 8000 bitrate, high qulaity, 2 keyframe, psycho visual and look ahead off at 900p. But with Titanfall and Apex, they use a lot of GPU, so I had to downscale to 720p for them use bicubic. It was pretty I have to admit, when i stood still but when i started running, sliding shooting, it either got really pixelated or started dropping frames

LunarPeter

Is there a difference between "browser panels" and "browser sources"? I am asking this because I am waiting for an update that fixes the crashing caused by browser sources on OS X. So if they are two words for the same thing, I will know that more patience and waiting is required.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Is there a difference between "browser panels" and "browser sources"? I am asking this because I am waiting for an update that fixes the crashing caused by browser sources on OS X. So if they are two words for the same thing, I will know that more patience and waiting is required.
Browser sources and panels are powered by the same thing (CEF) but are technically different. Sources are within the canvas (and need to be rendered by us off-screen) and panels are dockable widgets that load as normal.

What kind of crashing, in what situation, which version of macOS? When did it start, and what pages are you trying to load?

Status
Not open for further replies.