OBS Studio 23.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overflow

Damn man, I was hoping for close to medium. Oh well. I'll test tonight and compare it to yesterdays stream which was set to faster on my i7 7700k.

Can I still record at the same time ? or will it have a negative impact on quality ?

Thanks for the reply
You should could stream at the same time without quality impact.

Vraelon

How do I disable the 128Mbit bitrate limit in CQ mode? Fast movement on 4K60FPS local recording have blocking artifacts and blur. I don't care about crazy high bitrate as long as its below my drives write speed (150x8=1200Mbit/s), I transcode with x265 to CRF 20 after anyways. I've gone to %appdata%/obs-studio\basic\profiles\Untitled\recordEncoder.json but I don't see the max bitrate only:

{
"cqp": 12,
"preset": "hq",
"rate_control": "CQP"
}

Can anyone help?

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Question regarding this new build of OBS.

I do love finally having modules like chat etc without having to use streamelements, but does this have support for your BTTV & FFZ emotes/settings? I run custom inline mod actions for FFZ in my chrome browser. Will these settings transfer over? Would love to see this being built in!

I noticed nobody responded to your comment - currently, OBS does not automatically transfer your config (and I doubt it ever will). You could run obs with --remote-debugging-port=9999 and navigate to http://localhost:9999 - this'll give you access to Chrome Dev Tools for all your browser sources and panels. You can then either set the localStorage/cookieds manually, or go through and use functions like BetterTTV.settings.setSetting or something to that effect.

EHYAS

RTX Nvenc is not Medium quality when streaming, it's worse than veryfast. Horrible. Why would they say it's close to Medium quality. Play any fast motion game and the quality is just really bad.

kevin2K

RTX Nvenc is not Medium quality when streaming, it's worse than veryfast. Horrible. Why would they say it's close to Medium quality. Play any fast motion game and the quality is just really bad.
This is not true. There are already plenty of Videos on YouTube from non sponsored People which compare the quality with x264 veryfast, fast and even Medium. The RTX NVENC Quality is at least as good as fast and almost comparable to something between fast and medium.

@dodgepong I just installed, or at least think i did. Looking at the version info on the client, it still says 22.0.3 , Is that correct? I didn't uninstall old, i just overinstalled from the .exe repo on github.

And for the record, new Nvenc is very, very far off medium x264 in most things with more than 30 fps streams to twitch. I do have a 2080Ti so i have downloaded my own vods to check. I have the possibility to stream at medium x264 and i know for sure what encoder i'm going to use at least. But as a recorder at high bitrate (30k), i can definitely see the use for Nvenc. Where it REALLY shines is for those who have had issues earlier with hardware limitations. Those guys got a really nice bump in performance and can now stream at a higher quality without losing to much fps in game now.

Having said that, i do not own a black belt in video encoding, but i use my own eyes.

Overflow

This is not true. There are already plenty of Videos on YouTube from non sponsored People which compare the quality with x264 veryfast, fast and even Medium. The RTX NVENC Quality is at least as good as fast and almost comparable to something between fast and medium.
Don't look videos, try for yourself... i can confirm that new rtx nvenc isn't like medium x264 preset, it's worst even than fast x264 preset. It's more like Faster x263 preset, and you can find some test some pages behind.

I need a way to change the font size in the chat window that pops up when I launch obs. Normaly I just resize my mixer stream in browser to change the chat font but I can't do that with the obs mixer chat, otherwise I'd have to use more resources having my browser open as well as obs. :(

ntoff

Would it be relevant at some point to just stop calling it the new NVENC? Eventually it's just going to be what's current, doesn't it make more sense to name it NVENC (nvidia) and rename the old one to NVENC (ffmpeg)?

Also, does the new nvenc only work with driver version 4xx.xx and above? Or can you use drivers as old as 3xx.xx? I thought you needed the "latest" drivers (again, define latest? same issue with calling it "new", it's only new / latest now, it won't be true in a year). I'm using 388.71 drivers and the "new" nvenc still shows up. Are all the optimisations inside OBS itself and it works with any driver? Or were my impressions correct in that you need the "latest" nvidia drivers for new nvenc to function? If so, it makes sense to hide the new nvenc option entirely if unsupported drivers are detected, just as it hides the amd or intel encoders on unsupported hardware.

Also when "new" nvenc is selected, the rescale option box is un-checkable, I know why, don't explain it, but it makes more sense to just hide it like is done with the look ahead and psycho visual boxes when you switch back to the old nvenc. I feel many new users will try to click on that rescale box and be confused as to why it's not working. Just hide it for the sake of confusion. Replace it with a label with the output resolution if that's the only reason it was chosen to keep that box / dropdown there.

Last edited:

Chie

The "resize output to source size" currently doesn't work with alt cropped sources, even if it works with sources cropped using the crop/pad filter.
This would be very convenient for recording only part of the screen.

DIRTY CES

okay guy here are the link to both my streams done with x264 and nvenc new. Streaming XBOX elgato hd60pro internal card

i7 7700k ,CBR , bitrate 8000k, faster, keyframe 2 , profile main, Also recording at the same time using New NVENC 40k bitrate

YouTube
https://youtu.be/zOVQACAXvag
Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379762131

2080ti CBR,bitrate 8000k, quality, psycho tuning checked,,,,, Also recording at the same time 40k bitrate
YouTube
https://youtu.be/kncZefoDSVU
Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380275728

Take a look see what looks better. My eyes are numb now.

I know this is a stupid question, but I don't want to loose my sources.

Do I just run the exe and it will update ? or do I uninstall the old ? What is the best method.
You won't lose them, the Beta uses the same User Settings from your: UserName>AppData>Roaming>obs-studio> folder on both normal OBS Studio and Beta

You can replace the files

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Either way. Scenes are stored in your user folder, not the OBS folder. If you uninstall it will ask you if you want to keep your data -- say Yes to that. Or just install over the existing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.