OBS says recording is 60fps, when it isn't

Starsh1pTroop3r

I'm really new to OBS and I've had to figure out all of my settings with just youtube guides and various people helping me, and with that, I've gotten the best quality I can get for my hardware, with no impacts on performance either- there's just one problem..
No matter what I change or tweak, no matter what I do, I cannot get the FPS of my recordings to be 60fps! Until now, I've been using Xbox Gamebar, which gets roughly the same quality, but still 60fps, and compared to my OBS recording, it's buttery smooth, while my OBS recording looks like its capped to 30fps. I don't doubt this is a common issue, but I'm yet to find a fix that actually works. If anyone is able to help me, I would heavily appreciate it.

Log - https://obsproject.com/logs/PtBB2ZvDdo8Nec38

BK-Morpheus

Hmm...where to start?

- run OBS as admin
- turn off Game Bar, Game DVR and Game DVR Background Recording
- avoid anything other than Game Capture source, for recording Games
- avoid mixing Display Capture, Window Capture and Game Capture in the same scene (create a dedicated gaming scene with only Game Capture (and if necessary add images/text overlays)

If you want smooth footage, make sure the game runs 100% steady at a compatible frame rate (for example limit games to 60 or 120fps, if you want to record/stream with 60fps).

koala

Your video would be smoother, if the monitor Hz is evenly dividable by the video fps. This means instead of 75 Hz, you need to set this monitor to 60 Hz, and instead of 165 Hz, you need to set this monitor to 120 Hz. Alternatively, you can limit the game fps to a multiple of 60, optionally with vsync off, but this could lead to screen tearing.

Why this is of some importance: If your game runs at 165 fps, this is 2.75 times 60 fps. So for each included frame, OBS needs to drop the next 1.75 frames. Since you cannot drop 1.75 frames, OBS will drop 1 frame (surplus 0.75), then 2 frames (surplus 0.5), then 2 frames (surplus 0.25), then 2 frames (no surplus), then 1 frame (surplus 0.75) and so on. This uneven dropping makes your video unsteady.
If you play on the 75 Hz monitor, this will even be more visible.

Starsh1pTroop3r

Hmm...where to start?

- run OBS as admin
- turn off Game Bar, Game DVR and Game DVR Background Recording
- avoid anything other than Game Capture source, for recording Games
- avoid mixing Display Capture, Window Capture and Game Capture in the same scene (create a dedicated gaming scene with only Game Capture (and if necessary add images/text overlays)

If you want smooth footage, make sure the game runs 100% steady at a compatible frame rate (for example limit games to 60 or 120fps, if you want to record/stream with 60fps).
running OBS as admin didnt do anything, but combining all of these and setting the recording to integer fps value of 82, and my game to 164 seems to have worked perfectly, my video is as smooth as ever now, thank you so much for the help!

BK-Morpheus

Keep in mind, that 82fps videos won't be smooth for every any one else, as soon as it gets converted into a compatible format for Youtube etc.