OBS redux

koala

In voicemeeter (a donateware audio mixing console) for example, you can reset every knob and slider to its default by double-clicking it.

By the way, the recording feature in voicemeeter is a great help in recording multi-track audio from different sources like a game+microphone+voip software at the same time. It's something that is missing in OBS-multiplatform currently, although preparations are visible in the GUI to support multi-track recording in the future.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
We're looking in to deinterlacing possibly sooner rather than later, someone is interested in implementing it (properly), so it might not end up being as delayed as I thought, but no promises.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Probably two or three patches? Unless it's already in development (might be).

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The rewrite is in a pretty good state, and it supports hauppauge and roxio devices, I haven't tested with diamond GC 1000, I don't think I have oen of those to test with at the moment.

mizox

Could you implement a form of deinterlacing called half-sizing, as described on this Wikipedia page?
you wouldn't happen to mean something like virtualdub's discard field + double framerate option would you?
doublediscard.jpg

Anzuul

you wouldn't happen to mean something like virtualdub's discard field + double framerate option would you? View attachment 7470
No, discarding fields is not what I meant. Let me try to explain.

My capture card, a Dazzle DVC 100, only captures 480i. From what I've read, when it is fed 240p 60 fps video, it places each frame of the 240p video on a different field. So what I'd like to be able to do in OBS is to display each field on it's own to get the 240p 60fps video back. (Field 1 -> Frame 1, Field 2 -> Frame 2, etc.)

Does this make it more clear?

mizox

No, discarding fields is not what I meant. Let me try to explain.

My capture card, a Dazzle DVC 100, only captures 480i. From what I've read, when it is fed 240p 60 fps video, it places each frame of the 240p video on a different field. So what I'd like to be able to do in OBS is to display each field on it's own to get the 240p 60fps video back. (Field 1 -> Frame 1, Field 2 -> Frame 2, etc.)

Does this make it more clear?
that's exactly what that does. if I had JUST set it to discard, then it would have thrown out every other field, resulting in 240p30, but since I also set it to "double" then it does that twice, first isolating one field, then the other, so you get back the original 240p60 video

also the main branch of OBS has a setting which does exactly the same thing, marked as "retro/scandoubling" which reconstructs the original "double scan" or "double strike" of 240p video, just make sure that you set the field order to match your capture device (NTSC supposedly standardizes bottom field first, but the dazzle always uses top field first for some reason)
doubling.jpg

also if games look washed out when captured this way, it's probably because most of those old games were originally intended to be viewed on CRTs, which had a gamma of about 2.5, as opposed to today's 2.2. I found that changing the gamma setting to 0.7 compensates nicely for this

also some old games appear to suffer from black crush when captured from the dazzle (check by plugging the game console into an old CRT television, then comparing with the capture to see if there's details in the blacks that you can see on the TV but not on the capture), if so, you may find that setting the dazzle to NTSC-J as opposed to NTSC-M helps (no idea why, I guess either the N64 or the dazzle has something wrong with its black levels)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Deinterlacing should be in 0.11.0. We have all the same shaders from OBS1 currently, but working on a few minor design issues with it.

I would love to have the framerate doubling ones as well, I think they should be doable after we work out the design issues.

mizox

Deinterlacing should be in 0.11.0. We have all the same shaders from OBS1 currently, but working on a few minor design issues with it.

I would love to have the framerate doubling ones as well, I think they should be doable after we work out the design issues.
speaking of that, will it be possible to "slave" OBS's internal/output framerate to that of the input? (whether that be a capture card or the monitor) in order allow for stutterless capture of sources with fractional framerates?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Matching the framerate is pretty much the only way you can do it. The async frame playback code will try to intelligently time the frames to play in sync with the compositing framerate as best it can.

Also on a side note, not entirely sure if we can get deinterlacing in next patch due to a design issue we're working on, but it'll definitely be in 0.12.0 if we don't manage to do it by 0.11.0.

mizox

I guess that's fair enough, I was just wondering since often videogame consoles won't generate a perfect 59.94 or 60 hz output, and can be off by as much as a frame per second.

and unless you have software that's slaved to the framerate it's getting, you'll never even know :P

etrnlwait

Matching the framerate is pretty much the only way you can do it. The async frame playback code will try to intelligently time the frames to play in sync with the compositing framerate as best it can.

Also on a side note, not entirely sure if we can get deinterlacing in next patch due to a design issue we're working on, but it'll definitely be in 0.12.0 if we don't manage to do it by 0.11.0.
Any chance you could spoil us on what to expect from 0.11?

I can't believe how solid OBS MP already is, can't wait for more updates.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
etrnlwait - As of right now, for 0.11.0: a lot of major bug fixes (especially to that memory leak issue), portable mode that allows you to isolate the configuration of the program to its own directory rather than globally, can now record with additional file output formats such as mp4, mov, ts, etc, as well as support for multiple audio tracks on formats that support it like mp4, directshow "output to desktop" option, maybe the scroll filter for scrolling text, and profiles and scene sets. Maybe deinterlacing as well if we can get the design flaw fixed in time.

lorddrachenblut - Yes, at some point.

etrnlwait - As of right now, for 0.11.0: a lot of major bug fixes (especially to that memory leak issue), portable mode that allows you to isolate the configuration of the program to its own directory rather than globally, can now record with additional file output formats such as mp4, mov, ts, etc, as well as support for multiple audio tracks on formats that support it like mp4, directshow "output to desktop" option, maybe the scroll filter for scrolling text, and profiles and scene sets. Maybe deinterlacing as well if we can get the design flaw fixed in time.

lorddrachenblut - Yes, at some point.

Thanks for the info Jim

Joyful123

I built it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 but whenever I try to run it, it pops up with this error, even though the file exists.

obs: error while loading shared libraries: libobs.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

EDIT: Fixed by creating symbolic links for every obs file, annoying but works.

DOUBLE EDIT: After playing around, I love it on Linux, all it needs is scene editing (Moving things around like it's windows counterpart) and streaming upload options (like buffer size and such) then it'll be perfect. The XComposite Plugin works flawlessly, brilliant stuff!

I am a total n00b with Linux, but I'm so used to it now, I refuse to switch back to windows. I'm running into this same issue, but I have no clue how to even begin to create a symbolic link, or which files to do it with. I would truly appreciate if someone could show me the script for this fix.