OBS redux

JoshKnowles

lolRazor, please. There is nothing you can do to speed this up, and it will not be done within the next few days or anything like that, so please don't hold your breath, and stop posting about this.

There is no working capture device code at all in obs-studio right at this moment, and it's going to be almost completely reimplemented, there's no way to reuse most of the old stuff from regular OBS. It WILL be announced when support for these kinds of devices is added to the rewrite, it's not something we're going to keep secret from you.
For us who are going to be just recording off our desktop screen, would an early release for the rewrite with no capture card compatibility be possible?

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Test releases will be made once it's ready for public testing. Like it was already mentioned, basic desktop and sound capture is already in there for Windows, Mac and Linux, so is basic file recording through ffmpeg, but we don't see a point in releasing something where at least a good chunk of the current inputs and outputs in OBS can be tested thoroughly.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
JoshKnowles - We might do that, yea. I wouldn't mind giving out super-ultra-early test builds, but I want to get our network code finished first. I'll post some windows/mac builds after I do (linux users should compile from git due to system dependencies).

The UI is in a very very bare rudimentary state though, I want people to realize that. Internally everything is functioning wonderfully and pretty much good to go, but there will be more than one user interface. We only have one right now. There will actually be multiple user interfaces depending on what they want to do, and these interfaces will be implemented later on.

For example, studio interface which will have multiple displays and a different system for presentation (for studio usage or very complex broadcasting), then the 'basic' interface which is nearly identical to OBS1 that functions on the simple scenes/sources system. And perhaps a "super ultra easy just-want-to-stream-a-game-configure-everything-for-me" interface probably. The rewrite now allows us to make new interfaces like this reeeally easily, so it'll be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

JoshKnowles

JoshKnowles - We might do that, yea. I wouldn't mind giving out super-ultra-early test builds, but I want to get our network code finished first. I'll post some windows/mac builds after I do (linux users should compile from git due to system dependencies).

The UI is in a very very bare rudimentary state though, I want people to realize that. Internally everything is functioning wonderfully and pretty much good to go, but there will be more than one user interface. We only have one right now. There will actually be multiple user interfaces depending on what they want to do, and these interfaces will be implemented later on.

For example, studio interface which will have multiple displays and a different system for presentation (for studio usage or very complex broadcasting), then the 'basic' interface which is nearly identical to OBS1 that functions on the simple scenes/sources system. And perhaps a "super ultra easy just-want-to-stream-a-game-configure-everything-for-me" interface probably. The rewrite now allows us to make new interfaces like this reeeally easily, so it'll be a lot of fun.
Sounds great, can't wait to make some amazing streams :)

Seeing as I only have like 3 games for my xbox one and a few for my 360 all I really care about atm is desktop capture :p. Can't wait to see it in action though, I'm not one to really care about the looks of a program early on.

Also just wondering, what's left on the network code? I haven't been able to check the git for awhile due to dns issues with my isp but I think that's getting fixed for me soon.

Weegee

Hey Jim, good to hear that everything is going forward so nicely :)

I've been asking about GL capture already, so I wanted to add that SimpleScreenRecorder received a major update for its GL capture module a few days ago: https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr/commits/master

Even though it still has issues especially with Steam games, maybe this might be interesting for you and your fellow developers?

EDIT: Okay, so the GLInject part doesn't have any issues at all, I just forgot to set LD_PRELOAD to the 32 bit library, now it works just like the game capture on Windows (except that you have to use ssr-glinject for every OpenGL program you want to receord). The only wonky thing is the whole streaming part itself - which is where OBS shines :D

Last edited:

Shoeboots

Wow this is amazing! I was literally pricing out a PC and capture card to stream from my Mac when I decided to Google OBS for Mac!

I'm really excited for this and would be more than happy to participate in any early testing if it helps you guys out in any way.

JoshKnowles

If this is possible to implement, could the desktop stream feature be specific to a certain desktop(s) on mac? That way I could (in my case) watch a strategy on one desktop and have all my streaming windows open on another.

Hey Jim, good to hear that everything is going forward so nicely :)

I've been asking about GL capture already, so I wanted to add that SimpleScreenRecorder received a major update for its GL capture module a few days ago: https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr/commits/master

Even though it still has issues especially with Steam games, maybe this might be interesting for you and your fellow developers?

EDIT: Okay, so the GLInject part doesn't have any issues at all, I just forgot to set LD_PRELOAD to the 32 bit library, now it works just like the game capture on Windows (except that you have to use ssr-glinject for every OpenGL program you want to receord). The only wonky thing is the whole streaming part itself - which is where OBS shines :D
not sure what you mean about the wonky streaming part of ssr?? I use ssr to stream just fine. What's missing in ssr is the ability to add overlays and other compositing effects. So currently you can only stream 1 input, either a screen grab OR an opengl game. I get around that by doing a screen capture (not opengl capture) and just have my facecam window be borderless and I manually position it where I want it. I'm waiting for either obs-studio to be stable enough to stream in linux OR ssr to add composite support. ssr is rock solid imo and has great sync coding so it always keeps the video and audio in sync. I love it and Maartin is awesome with supporting ssr as well!

So currently I would like to try out obs-studio but i don't know how to compile it, when I run make i get the following: make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Weegee

not sure what you mean about the wonky streaming part of ssr??
Well in my case SSR sometimes drops the stream for no particular reason, sometimes there's an error in libavformat while streaming (at least the terminal output says so), but that's okay since streaming is an experimental feature in SSR.

Which is why I think that a cooperation between Marteen and Jim could produce some wonderful results, because both SSR and OBS can benefit so much from each other's knowledge regarding capturing and streaming :)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
will the mac version support cam twist? that is a huge factor for me
OBS is the kind of program that would replace Camtwist, but if Camtwist can output in a way that makes its output look like a webcam, then you could probably add it to OBS as an input.

benklett

so can anyone tell me how to compile this on Ubuntu 13.10 please?
It is fairly simple:

cd to your git dir
mkdir "my-build-dir"
cd "my-build-dir"
cmake .. -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=false (You should use "-DUNIX_STRUCTURE=false" becaus it lets you start obs out of the compilation directory as you should not do make install if you do not want to mess up your system)
make
cd rundir/RelWithDebInfo/bin/64bit (or rundir/RelWithDebInfo/bin/32bit)
./obs​

I hope that helps.

EDIT: You should get ffmpeg (there should be a ppa) and Qt5 first, libav will probably not work but I am not sure.

Last edited:

JPL

EDIT: You should get ffmpeg (there should be a ppa) and Qt5 first, libav will probably not work but I am not sure.

Libav didn't work for me, unless OBS has changed to support it (this didn't sound likely when I checked a few pages back in this thread).

The ffmpeg PPA I found for 13.10 provides ffmpeg 0.10 instead of 1.2, which lacks several features OBS requires. However you'll note it provides 1.2 for 14.04, which is set to release on Thursday. My solution is going to be to wait until Thursday, upgrade to 14.04, add that PPA, then hopefully compile and run OBS successfully for the first time :]

kyuser101

I don't know if this has been decided or not, and I know there's probably still a bit of time to go, but do you all know whether OBS Studio for Linux will be pre-built once it's being distributed? Just asking because even though I know how to compile from source, it could drive people that aren't as technologically inclined away, which made me curious. I would assume so, but wanted to get confirmation if possible.

Thanks!

gyroninja

So for the past few weeks I've been trying on and off to get the Linux version of this to compile. I've finally been able to successfully complete the cmake. When I try to compile it with make I end up getting this error.

Code:
Linking C shared library libobs.so                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libswscale.a(swscale.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
/usr/local/lib/libswscale.a: error adding symbols: Bad value                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
make[3]: *** [libobs/libobs.so.0] Error 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
make[2]: *** [libobs/CMakeFiles/libobs.dir/all] Error 2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
make[1]: *** [obs/CMakeFiles/obs.dir/rule] Error 2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
make: *** [obs] Error 2

I'm assuming I need to recompile SWScale. Is there a way to do this without recompiling ALL of FFMPEG? Or am I misinterpreting this error?

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Slight announcement.

I have a few more UI-related things I need to do, then, I just need to add in volume controls, and then the ability to move/resize/etc sources.

After that, I will probably start releasing work-in-progress-super-early-incomplete-alphas to everyone at semi-regular intervals and start linking them on the download page (although only for mac and windows). Linux users will unfortunately still need to compile for the time being I think.

Keep in mind that this is incomplete and everything is subject to change though. Particularly from the user interface aspect -- I think users are going to be disappointed with the UI at first because the current one we have doesn't have quite everything we want yet, and also we're planning on adding other specialized and simplified user interfaces later.

So hopefully within the next few weeks I'll start releasing super-ultra-early-yet-usable official builds. Not entirely sure if I can make it within that time frame but I'm going to work my a** off to try to get it within that time.

Last edited:

JPL

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04. Think I'm getting close to getting it building, after I use this PPA to get FFmpeg 1.2:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jon-severinsson/ffmpeg
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavformat-extra-54 libswresample-dev libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev libjansson-dev

However it looks like latest OBS from git no longer uses the old style configure script. What's the preferred build method on Linux? CMake complains about Qt5 files. I see some autoconf files were committed recently, is that the way to go now?