OBS redux

Is it possible to Test the Redux at this moment?

Would be nice even if it's far from perfect at the moment, just to be the test rat and perhaps help with bug testing?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It's too early for testing at this point. There are lots of obvious bugs, problems, and missing pieces, such that the feedback would probably end up being not very helpful, and maybe even counterproductive.

When a version that is fit for testing is ready, you'll know.

Ah okay, well if you change your mind i would gladly try it out, even without giving feedbacks. I like playing around with experimental software, but also know that developers doesn't like giving out too "risky" software;P

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's streaming now at least. Should work on all three operating systems. Time for more modules, more UI, and better UI

Does compiled builds exist?

My Visual Studio skills are lacking even with the instructions, but i am pretty sure there is no compiled versions, if you aren't compiling and uploading somewhere now and then like some do.

someonepl

It would be nice to have something similar to Wirecast Desktop Presenter in OBS, is that possible? Of course with more than 15-20 fps (i cant get more with Desktop Presenter even with very good PC spec)

PopinFRESH

Hey Jim,
Hope things are going well for you. I was checking up to see if there were any announcements for the Mac and when reading through the "OBS for Mac" thread one of the posts you made popped a question into my head. You mentioned working on getting sound to work on the Mac and I was interested if you were planing on using CoreAudio? If so it might result in being more adaptive to handling multi-channel audio interfaces. Anyway, keep up the good work!

-PopinFRESH

PopinFRESH

It would be nice to have something similar to Wirecast Desktop Presenter in OBS, is that possible? Of course with more than 15-20 fps (i cant get more with Desktop Presenter even with very good PC spec)

You can capture an entire monitor with OBS, or an application window (such as a game). As far as the performance goes that really depends on your computers specs and what they can actually handle with capture / encode. I would imagine you'll likely get better frame rates with OBS vs WireCast as OBS is fairly lean comparatively.

-PopinFRESH

someonepl

For now the only alternative is to have a local RTMP server, OBS for streaming from source PC and CLR Video plugin on destination PC to read RTMP stream. It also generate a few (or more) seconds delay

PopinFRESH

For now the only alternative is to have a local RTMP server, OBS for streaming from source PC and CLR Video plugin on destination PC to read RTMP stream. It also generate a few (or more) seconds delay

In a sense that is basically what Remote Desktop Presenter is doing. You would have to capture, encode and compress the source PC's screen on the source PC and then send it over the network to the second PC. Really the only benefit I can see with this is the same as using Remote Desktop. That is to say adding the screen from a system that is offsite or a good distance away from the broadcast computer. If it is a second computer that is near the broadcast computer I'd tend to think you'll get better results by using capture hardware to capture the output of the second PC.

Also the consideration (and likely why you are only getting ~20ps with Remote Desktop Presenter) is the bandwidth of your network between the two computers. To give some perspective if you wanted to capture the native resolution / frame rate of your typical 1080p desktop and send that over the network without encoding and compressing it, you'd need a little over 3Gbps between the 2 computers. Anyway, I think were getting a smidge off topic but needless to say, you'd need 2 fairly powerful PC's and a very solid network connection between them to do that with reasonable quality and little delay.

-PopinFRESH

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Completed the properties window stuff (though still crude and needs some tweaking/fixes, maybe replace with something better later)

Currently working on full RTMP/network stuff with custom specifiable encoders. Slight design headache, having to go over the encoder/output system and make sure they can link together and everything. Also need UI for it.

Some of the things that need to be done before some sort of usable pre-alpha test:
  • Need some sort of Qt volume control widget and implement the UI for volumes. Anyone have any recommendations in this regard?
  • Probably need to have a way to move around sources, but then again I feel like that doesn't need to happen right away.

After that:
  • Capture devices (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET HAUPPAUGE/ROXIO IN THIS TIME JIM)
  • Window capture
  • Game capture
  • Other UIs, refine UIs (remember, we have multiple UIs)

Weegee

Need some sort of Qt volume control widget and implement the UI for volumes. Anyone have any recommendations in this regard?
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/search?q=VolumeSlider
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/phonon-qmusicplayer.html

Maybe there's something useful for you? :)

After that:
  • Capture devices (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET HAUPPAUGE/ROXIO IN THIS TIME JIM)
  • Window capture
  • Game capture
  • Other UIs, refine UIs (remember, we have multiple UIs)
Are there any plans on how to implement game capture on OSX/Linux yet?

Madd the Sane

Game Capture on OS X? I think if you target a window, it should be good enough. Although this may not work on older games that go full-screen.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Game capture on osx/linux I don't know much about. I was just meaning for windows, redoing game capture with better code. I do however want something like that on OSX/linux though. Hopefully it's easier on those systems.

Also, thank you for the links to the Qt controls