OBS Recording stuttering caused for no reason

KarrotD2K

I have dived deeply into all of the reasons this could be happening and tried everything, even running NO GAME my on my machine with a rtx 2070 and a ryzen 7 3700X, it stutters in the recording. I have noticed that it uses about 20-30% gpu power no matter the encoding settings, and it does not show any skipped or dropped frames in obs, BUT. I believe the issue is my obs bitrate seems to be fluctuating between 500 and 1900 constantly, it will go between these low bitrates no matter what my bitrate is set to. I believe this is the issue and i have tried many things to fix it e.g obs priority, admin mode, sources, filters, windows gpu scheduling. None of it seems to have worked and i am losing my mind, if i cannot find a fix i will take suggestions for recording software. I will take all of the help i can get thank you!

qhobbes

KarrotD2K

https://obsproject.com/logs/0fLcQ5Ws939nNNcP after putting this in analyzer it does not list any issues, the only issue it lists is that im recording mp4 and the file may be lost in a outage.

rockbottom

Cap your game @ 60FPS & set all your monitors @ 60HZ. You should see significant improvement immediately.

For encoding try, P5 or P6, CQP=18, multipass=qres, No B Frames. You will see significant improvement here as well.

rockbottom

Might as well get this set correctly too, 30 or 60FPS.

[DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device'] settings updated:
12:43:04.633: video device: c922 Pro Stream Webcam
12:43:04.633: video path: \\?\usb#vid_046d&pid_085c&mi_00#7&231a4d21&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global
12:43:04.633: resolution: 1920x1080
12:43:04.633: flip: 0
12:43:04.633: fps: 23.98 (interval: 417083)
12:43:04.633: format: MJPEG
12:43:04.633: buffering: disabled
12:43:04.633: hardware decode: disabled
12:43:04.756: Switched to scene 'main'

KarrotD2K

thank you for the suggestions, however after implementing all of them it is still stuttering in videos. the bitrate still seems to fluctuate. I am quite sure it is likely one of my sources, i may try save all of it and then make a fresh install. Besides that i am all out of ideas

qhobbes

Build your scene with Game/Window capture. Display capture should only be used if you need to capture Windows stuff such as the desktop or taskbar. If you do need to use Display Capture, put it in it's own scene.

KarrotD2K

I did change these settings they just may not have appeared in the log file. After a fresh install of obs, running all of my monitors on 60hz, using a display capture with no game running. The video is still stuttering and bitrate not being stable and constantly fluctuating. The good news is that this points to a pc issue not obs, but the bad news is i have no idea what could be causing this. https://obsproject.com/logs/JGWwJWeUMZuJ7YKD Here is the new log file which comes up with no issues on the analyzer, Thank you for all of the help so far

rockbottom

Yep, something else at play here, your log looks good now. It could be something as simple as a driver or even the settings in the Nvidia control panel. Have your tried increasing the throughput of the 2070? Disable optimizations & set the Texture Filter Quality setting to Performance or Max Performance & see if that helps.

qhobbes

DO NOT USE Display Capture. Try OBS with 1 scene with 1 Game Source. Cap your game at 60 FPS too.

KarrotD2K

DO NOT USE Display Capture. Try OBS with 1 scene with 1 Game Source. Cap your game at 60 FPS too.
as i said these changes and recordings were done with no game running, it was already with 1 scene 1 source because as i said it was a fresh install. The stuttering happens on all types of capture

KarrotD2K

Yep, something else at play here, your log looks good now. It could be something as simple as a driver or even the settings in the Nvidia control panel. Have your tried increasing the throughput of the 2070? Disable optimizations & set the Texture Filter Quality setting to Performance or Max Performance & see if that helps.
i will look into what i can do to possibly reset drivers or reset settings for the nvidea control panel. If none of these work i may have to go 1v1 to each setting in 3d settings to figure out what is going on. If that doesnt work then it would be an incredibly small issue that is out of my control to fix

KarrotD2K

SOLVED!
After spending an insane amount of time trying to fix the issue i found it, it has to do with framerate, OBS for recording must record with vsync on (this may not be the case for all systems). I am unsure if this is an issue with 60hz monitors and above but anyway here is the solution for any future readers!
1. Open Nvidia control panel
2. Navigate to manage 3d settings, make sure you are on the global settings
3. Scroll to the bottom and find vertical Sync, make sure the option 'use the 3d application settings' is applied
EDIT: So i now realise after using the option that fixed the footage, it also fixed the old footage and it has no stuttering now?? Even though the bitrate seemed to fluctuate far less it still looks fine?? Very confused lmao