powercage

Hey all,
I need your help. I've spent literal hours trying to figure out why OBS consistently outputs grainy videos from my 1080p Logitech webcam when I record

These are the two settings I've tried to run:
settings2.png

settings3.png

Here is the video settings:
settings1.png

This is what I see when looking at the webcam image prior to recording (nice and clear, in HD). So I know the camera is performing well:
camera performance.png

And here is the grainy MP4 output:
Grainy output.png

It also shouldn't be a hardware issue:
hardware.png

Wtf is happening?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

powercage

You can even see the grainy video in action here: click here

The quality just isn't there and I have no idea how to improve the output or what settings may be messed up.

I've tried 30frames per second and bicubic as well. No difference.

Harold

If you're even getting the option to choose the scaling filter in your video settings when using the same resolutions for base and output, you're on an old version of obs.

Saving directly to mp4 is strongly NOT recommended
Using CBR as your rate control for recording was never going to fix this issue

Please provide a log from a launch of obs from after updating and after doing a new test record.

powercage

If you're even getting the option to choose the scaling filter in your video settings when using the same resolutions for base and output, you're on an old version of obs.

Saving directly to mp4 is strongly NOT recommended
Using CBR as your rate control for recording was never going to fix this issue

Please provide a log from a launch of obs from after updating and after doing a new test record.
My understanding about saving directly to mp4 is only loss of info if there is an issue mid record. I don't really have to worry about that, my segments are not long enough for that to be a big deal. Are there other reasons to avoid it? What would you use instead if the next step is typically editing in Premiere Pro?

I had tried hitting Update in the software itself for OBS and it was telling me that it was the latest version. When I checked the website I found that isn't the case, thanks to your recommendation.

These are my current settings and the image seems to be cleared up considerably on output. Is there anything else you would suggest?
Untitled.png

Harold

Output mode at the top to simple
Recording quality to indistinguishable
Recording encoder to NVENC H264
Recording format to MKV