OBS on Apple Silicon

kevmunro

Hey all, has anyone been able to stream audio from a Traktor S3 through OBS on a M1 pro (or any M1/apple silicon)? I know people typically use Soundflower, but it doesn't download on my Mac.

Would love to help with this - purchased a brand new Mac entirely for streaming, only to find out that it's not working :(

Hey there! I use Loopback to push other sound sources into the stream. Great bit of software.

neuromask

Hello,

Can you please compile Tuna plugin for arm64 apple?

Thanks

Fbosman

Does anyone know if the gstreamer plug-in works on the m1 version? I installed gstreamer and the plug-in (Mac version) but nothing shows up

shiggitay

I use VB-Audio Cable on M1 and it works just fine for me. https://vb-audio.com/Cable/

I've used something similar on Windows... Does it allow routing of audio on a per app basis (or overall Desktop Audio) into OBS? Right now I use Loopback to make a virtual mic and that works, but having something better would be...better. lol.

@callimeron

Hello. Any new version? The last one is crashing after change scene layouts! Thank you.

While Callimeron could release a new unofficial build as I could an official M1 native release (with all the bells and whistles etc) is coming soon... Until then Rosetta should work.

shiggitay

Rosetta works bad. I have a bit complicated setup with 3 cameras and there Rosetta version takes more than 50% of CPU and stream is lagging often. When i use Callimeron version with same scene setup, it takes about 5-8% CPU including recording.

Ah your setup is way more complex than mine... Fair point. I just have a console capture video source, StreamLabs alerts, and my webcam with audio...

Talonis

I patiently await the official release. If nothing else, using OBS Studio under Rosetta emulation has taught me to me ruthlessly efficient and ingenious with my multi-camera streaming configuration – which is good practice whichever way you slice it.

shiggitay

I patiently await the official release. If nothing else, using OBS Studio under Rosetta emulation has taught me to me ruthlessly efficient and ingenious with my multi-camera streaming configuration – which is good practice whichever way you slice it.

I was streaming to Twitch last night to celebrate the 30th anniversary of a Japanese anime I like and I know this isn't quite OBS Studio but I was running StreamLabs Desktop (formerly StreamLabs OBS) under Rosetta on my M1 Mac mini, and it ran okay, but having either version/fork of OBS running officially natively on Apple Silicon would be baller. Patience is key I guess...

Bartyx

I was streaming to Twitch last night to celebrate the 30th anniversary of a Japanese anime I like and I know this isn't quite OBS Studio but I was running StreamLabs Desktop (formerly StreamLabs OBS) under Rosetta on my M1 Mac mini, and it ran okay, but having either version/fork of OBS running officially natively on Apple Silicon would be baller. Patience is key I guess...
What encoder have you used? Apple Hardware? Or x264 software?

StrayTexel

It's reportedly coming in 27.3. Now that 27.2 is fully out we should start seeing official 27.3 release candidates any week (day?) now.

Rosetta works bad. I have a bit complicated setup with 3 cameras and there Rosetta version takes more than 50% of CPU and stream is lagging often. When i use Callimeron version with same scene setup, it takes about 5-8% CPU including recording.

Yeah, anyone saying "just use Rosetta!" has a very simple, low-demand workload. With the unofficial M1-compiled releases it's a night and day difference.

However, I can only get any sort of "perfect" performance at a max of 1080p output. I still can't manage to record at 4K at all (~90% loss). Hoping that gets fixed in the official release and it's not a limitation of the hardware (M1 Pro for me).