Resource icon

OBS Lyrics 2.0.0

amirchev

amirchev submitted a new resource:

OBS Lyrics - Manage and display lyrics to any text source in your OBS scene.

How to use:
  1. Download the script and open it with OBS.
  2. Add some songs to the script and save them.
  3. Select the text source for displaying the lyrics. Set the amount of lines to display, default is 2. Optionally, you can setup hotkeys to control the lyrics display.
  4. Select a song from the song directory and click "Prepare Song". Do that to as many songs as you will need for the session.
  5. Once you are ready to display the lyrics, select the song you'd like to display from...

Read more about this resource...

amirchev

One function I forgot to include in the description is the ability to mark a line that is to be displayed alone. To do that, you need to append "###" to the end of the line.

unraveller

Would be nice if upon changing lyrics/text, it could maintain alignment on the screen (like if it is aligned centered on screen). Whenever the next line is shown it never stays on the same position especially if the length is not the same.

amirchev

Would be nice if upon changing lyrics/text, it could maintain alignment on the screen (like if it is aligned centered on screen). Whenever the next line is shown it never stays on the same position especially if the length is not the same.
Hi,

It's actually up to you to format the text source however you need it to look, this code just inserts the lyrics into it. So, right click on your text source and select "Properties", scroll down until you see "Alignment", set it to "Center". Click "Ok" to save. Then, right click on your text source again, go to "Transform", on the sub-menu click "Center Horizontally". That may be what you are looking for.

-Alex

Tim McD

This is a very neat utility. I have a couple of ideas for additional functionality:
  • Ability to optionally link the "Prepared" song to a scene by name. So the next song in the Prepared list can be indexed by scene. In a Worship setting it is cumbersome to switch to the script view to select the next prepared song when operating on a single monitor. I am a new user to OBS so this may not be the best method.....
  • Add a hotkey for next / previous prepared song. This would be a good intermediate method to the item above.
  • When indexing past the end of song file, automatically switch to a blank view. That would help know that the next prepared song is coming to que.
  • A way to force the # of lines. Issue: If a normal 2 lines ends at a 1 line the text gets scaled up to fit making it a larger font.
  • Rather than a directory.txt file can you just list all the files in the folder since they are listed by title? This would increase the portability of a list of songs (or folder) to copy to another computer. Especially if the 2 computers have a different directory listing of songs.
  • Description to where the songs are stored. This would help find the list to copy from one computer to another. Or an "Export / Import Songs" option.
Just some ideas....

amirchev

This is a very neat utility. I have a couple of ideas for additional functionality:
  1. Ability to optionally link the "Prepared" song to a scene by name. So the next song in the Prepared list can be indexed by scene. In a Worship setting it is cumbersome to switch to the script view to select the next prepared song when operating on a single monitor. I am a new user to OBS so this may not be the best method.....
  2. Add a hotkey for next / previous prepared song. This would be a good intermediate method to the item above.
  3. When indexing past the end of song file, automatically switch to a blank view. That would help know that the next prepared song is coming to que.
  4. A way to force the # of lines. Issue: If a normal 2 lines ends at a 1 line the text gets scaled up to fit making it a larger font.
  5. Rather than a directory.txt file can you just list all the files in the folder since they are listed by title? This would increase the portability of a list of songs (or folder) to copy to another computer. Especially if the 2 computers have a different directory listing of songs.
  6. Description to where the songs are stored. This would help find the list to copy from one computer to another. Or an "Export / Import Songs" option.
Just some ideas....
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the feedback. I added numbers to the suggestions so I can address them individually.
  1. I noticed this as well, but wasn't sure if I should address it. Since you mentioned it, I will add 2 ways to do it: a) separate hotkey, b) clicking forward in a song will make the song blank, then it will start the next song automatically. Attaching to a scene is something that I don't have experience with and will look into.
  2. Yes
  3. See above
  4. This seems to be a problem with the formatting of the text box that you're using as your source. I will definitely add that functionality though. In the meanwhile, make sure in the text source properties you set the vertical and horizontal alignment as center. Then, then right click on the source and go to transform -> edit transform. Set positional alignment to center and bounding box type to no bounds. Size your text box using the font size property and center it onto the screen. Now, it will always keep vertical and horizontal center, independently of the length of the text or the number of lines. This is not the only question on this, so I will make sure to add these formatting instructions to the documentation.
  5. I'm not sure I can do this using Lua without having an additional library, but I can see how this is useful. I will look into it.
  6. Good suggestion. On Windows they're stored in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\.config\.obs_lyrics, on Linux/Mac it is /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.config/.obs_lyrics . Yeah, I could possibly add export/import functionality, but it will not be my top priority right now.
God bless you in your worship sessions, I'll see if I can get #1 knocked out pretty quickly.

Tim McD

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the feedback. I added numbers to the suggestions so I can address them individually.
  1. I noticed this as well, but wasn't sure if I should address it. Since you mentioned it, I will add 2 ways to do it: a) separate hotkey, b) clicking forward in a song will make the song blank, then it will start the next song automatically. Attaching to a scene is something that I don't have experience with and will look into.
  2. Yes
  3. See above
  4. This seems to be a problem with the formatting of the text box that you're using as your source. I will definitely add that functionality though. In the meanwhile, make sure in the text source properties you set the vertical and horizontal alignment as center. Then, then right click on the source and go to transform -> edit transform. Set positional alignment to center and bounding box type to no bounds. Size your text box using the font size property and center it onto the screen. Now, it will always keep vertical and horizontal center, independently of the length of the text or the number of lines. This is not the only question on this, so I will make sure to add these formatting instructions to the documentation.
  5. I'm not sure I can do this using Lua without having an additional library, but I can see how this is useful. I will look into it.
  6. Good suggestion. On Windows they're stored in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\.config\.obs_lyrics, on Linux/Mac it is /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.config/.obs_lyrics . Yeah, I could possibly add export/import functionality, but it will not be my top priority right now.
God bless you in your worship sessions, I'll see if I can get #1 knocked out pretty quickly.
Wow. Thanks for the quick response. I'll look into the formatting more as you suggest.

RichieTee

Would be nice if someone can make a screeshot explanation of the setup, haven't gottena hang of it for days now going by the text guide.

amirchev

Would be nice if someone can make a screeshot explanation of the setup, haven't gottena hang of it for days now going by the text guide.

Here is a quick video I made this morning that is not edited or anything. I hope I can come up with a better guide sometime this week. I use the buttons in the video, but all of the buttons have corresponding hotkeys that you can set.

Last edited:

Odd Socks

Hi this is very usefull for adding the liturgy as well.
Is there anyway of adding some other formating markers like bold so that I can help people know which text is a responce?

amirchev

Hi this is very usefull for adding the liturgy as well.
Is there anyway of adding some other formating markers like bold so that I can help people know which text is a responce?
Hi there, unfortunately I don't know of any way to format text, except by formatting the entire source. There are a few ways to do what you're doing, I'm sure you've probably come up with something yourself, but I would recommend using some sort of marker like *, ", or any other symbol, like parantheses or brackets.

Ceradsky

Amirchev, this is a very helpful utility for our church streaming, I've used it live for the last two weeks.

Possible enhancements:
1. I don't see a way to keep track of where I am within the song/lyric, so while I have hotkeys working, if ANYTHING gets out of sync, it is very messy to get back on the right path (worship leader misses a verse, mixes songs up, streamer is slow to advance, etc). Some sort of feedback would be ideal
2. a control panel interface would be highly helpful, something like the lower-thirds plugin that relays on HTML and CSS would be great (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/animated-lower-thirds-with-control-panel.922/)
3. Agree with the desire to have a file structure that could hold the songs, the current interface is going to get pretty overloaded over the weeks

No complaints, what you have built is amazing and so helpful. Thank you!

amirchev

Amirchev, this is a very helpful utility for our church streaming, I've used it live for the last two weeks.

Possible enhancements:
1. I don't see a way to keep track of where I am within the song/lyric, so while I have hotkeys working, if ANYTHING gets out of sync, it is very messy to get back on the right path (worship leader misses a verse, mixes songs up, streamer is slow to advance, etc). Some sort of feedback would be ideal
2. a control panel interface would be highly helpful, something like the lower-thirds plugin that relays on HTML and CSS would be great (https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/animated-lower-thirds-with-control-panel.922/)
3. Agree with the desire to have a file structure that could hold the songs, the current interface is going to get pretty overloaded over the weeks

No complaints, what you have built is amazing and so helpful. Thank you!
Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad the script has been useful to you. I could implement something like a control panel on the scripts properties page, but it is crowded as it is. Quick question: do you use the buttons on the script or hotkeys? I will look into the control panel issue, but that may require me to use a different approach of HTML controller with browser source. As far as the file structure, you can type into the dropdown and it will search songs from your added list. Also, you can use the "Open Songs Folder" button in the latest version if that is what you meant. Or do you mean one dropdown will end up being too crowded?

Ceradsky

Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad the script has been useful to you. I could implement something like a control panel on the scripts properties page, but it is crowded as it is. Quick question: do you use the buttons on the script or hotkeys? I will look into the control panel issue, but that may require me to use a different approach of HTML controller with browser source. As far as the file structure, you can type into the dropdown and it will search songs from your added list. Also, you can use the "Open Songs Folder" button in the latest version if that is what you meant. Or do you mean one dropdown will end up being too crowded?
So, when I wrote this, I didn't understand that the songs are held in .TXT files, which is what I wanted to use, so no worries there.

I do use hotkeys (just set up a Streamdeck XL, oh my that is fun...in a good way). If there was visual feedback on the screen in the script window that gives me what I show below, I could see using that, I have enough screen real estate, but definitely have to keep using hotkeys

Probably the only thing that I would want to have is a control panel that shows the currently prepared song in the list and the next song, along with perhaps the current lines of the lyric that would be shown in the scene if it is visible and the next lines coming up?

This would be my ideal control panel (mockup)

Current SongAmazing Grace
Current Lyric​
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
Next Lyric​
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.
Next Song in Prepared ListOnward Christian Soldiers

renaq

Hello, first of all thanks for your effort. I tried to install the script, and the this message appear in secuence command register:

[lyrics.lua] Error calling script_load: ...gins/frontend-tools/scripts/OBS-Lyrics-master/lyrics.lua:311: attempt to call method 'gmatch' (a nil value)

I can´t did the step 3 for that reason. Help please.

jb75

I get the same error message and am not able to use the script. Any help would be great. Thanks

alfonsoon

Thank you for creating this script. We used it for the first time yesterday for the live stream of our Church.

Everything is great, this are my suggestions or possible enhancements:
  1. Option to show the song title at the beginning. My workaround currently is to add the title at the beginning of the lyrics followed by the ###.
  2. When I choose a prepared song on the list the text hides automatically, so I have to click the "show/hide lyrics" button, it is a little confusing for me. Is there a way to avoid this?
  3. Add an option of "next scene" so that of the end of every song the scene changes automatically to the "Speaker Scene" (for example).
  4. Also, when I open and close OBS with the Prepared Songs list ready and click next or previous lyrics it does not work. My workaround is to clear and load the songs again.
Just my suggestions, it's great as it is.
Best regards from Mexico.

Last edited: