OBS Live crashes showing 0 kbps

InformerHyena

Since a few weeks I've been encountering this issue, OBS crashes while in live, showing 0 kbps in the bottom of the screen but my preview is frozen, I cannot stop streaming and I cannot exit OBS, if I do so it goes white saying obs is not responding and I can only quit it via task manager. What can cause this issue? Is embarrassing for my viewers and frustrating to me.

I also formatted my PC and clean installed windows and OBS on a new ssd so it can't be some corrupted files, I did though export and import the profile and scene collection as it was

CRASH.PNG

PaiSand

Please provide the corresponding crash report from the moment it happened. Also, a log file.

InformerHyena

Please provide the corresponding crash report from the moment it happened. Also, a log file.
Here they are, attached you can find today's crash report and all today's log files since the issue happened a few times, maybe it can help.

Attachments

• Crash 2024-07-05 14-23-51.txt
    186.1 KB · Views: 12
  • logs.7z
    62.7 KB · Views: 10

qhobbes

Get these out of the way:
1. In many cases, wireless connections can cause issues because of their unstable nature. Streaming really requires a stable connection. Often wireless connections are fine, but if you have problems, which you do, the first troubleshooting step would be to switch to wired. We highly recommend streaming on wired connections.
2. The Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") feature in Windows is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's an experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.
3. If you still dropping frames with a wired connection, then be aware that this can only be caused by a failure in your internet connection or your networking hardware. It is not caused by OBS. Follow the troubleshooting steps at: Dropped Frames and General Connection Issues. I would recommend starting with enabling Dynamic Bitrate. Settings, Advanced, Network.
4. When streaming to Twitch, keep your bitrate at 6000 or less.
5. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render and encode scenes fast enough sometimes. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable V/G-sync or set a reasonable frame rate (144, 120, 60) limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.
Disable Multi-pass, Look-ahead and Pyscho Visual Tuning. Those all use additional GPU.

Last edited:

InformerHyena

Get these out of the way:
1. In many cases, wireless connections can cause issues because of their unstable nature. Streaming really requires a stable connection. Often wireless connections are fine, but if you have problems, which you do, the first troubleshooting step would be to switch to wired. We highly recommend streaming on wired connections.
2. The Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") feature in Windows is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's an experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.
3. If you still dropping frames with a wired connection, then be aware that this can only be caused by a failure in your internet connection or your networking hardware. It is not caused by OBS. Follow the troubleshooting steps at: Dropped Frames and General Connection Issues. I would recommend starting with enabling Dynamic Bitrate. Settings, Advanced, Network.
4. When streaming to Twitch, keep your bitrate at 6000 or less.
5. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render and encode scenes fast enough sometimes. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable V/G-sync or set a reasonable frame rate (144, 120, 60) limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.
Disable Multi-pass, Look-ahead and Pyscho Visual Tuning. Those all use additional GPU.
Thanks for the incredibly detailed step by step.
I'll try each and one of them.