OBS is starting to cause serious lag and slow-down, and I don't understand why

RatTail Tony

Context: I'm an art streamer who works with Photoshop regularly, and I use an 11.5 inch Macbook Air from mid-2012, 8GB memory and 256 GB storage.

I've been using OBS to stream it for several years now, and for the most part it's worked fine. But around April or May this year, it started dragging to a crawl and making Photoshop literally unusable from the lag and slow-down. Before that started happening I didn't install any updates, didn't mess with any settings, and I didn't have a ton of programs open during them. The streams themselves have slowed to unwatchable still frames, and no matter what I try, it won't budge on that. I know it's not Photoshop itself causing the lag, because as soon as I quit OBS, everything starts to work fine again, and I tested this repeatedly. I've messed with some settings to lower the bitrate, lower the resolution, and switch up the capture sources, but nothing's working. Research tells me that OBS is taking up copious amounts of my CPU for some reason, but if that's the case, why is it only slowing things down now and not in the last several years? If I'm going to keep streaming, I need an idea on what caused OBS to suddenly become so unreliable out of nowhere, and how to fix it. Thanks

Attachments

• 2021-08-05 14-57-50.txt
    16 KB · Views: 27
  • 2021-08-05 15-38-36.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2021-07-18 11-33-25.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 18