OBS is freezing randomly while streaming

fitNihil

I have been having this problem for months! It's very frustrating.. the video preview will freeze randomly and inconsistenly (either when I am live streaming or when the software is just open in the background). It's mainly frustrating because I have tried changing around so many settings yet it will continue to freeze and I and it looks like everyone else cannot find a solid solution to this. When I am live streaming, it takes minutes to even realize that it has frozen sometimes cause all other components on OBS are still functioning properly (audio meter bars are moving up and down, Twitch chat is still updating and allowing me to reply back, but once i try to end stream the software starts not responding and needs to be force closed)
This is exactly the same issue I'm having. Like.. word for word exactly the same. I'm glad I'm not alone at least lol.

Hope someone finds a fix soon!

ChiruChiru

I have the same Issue.
For me this always happens when I stream League of Legends.

After the first round of LoL nothing really happens other than a hickup or sorts.
After the second round, and only in the after-game screen, OBS Freezes, I can still see my audio bars move, but the stream is offline.

Played a different game after that, Tabletop Simulator, and it happened there too, right after I collided objects into eachother.
It made me think that maybe something with the Physics was wrong or maybe the graphics?
Also have a 3070Ti, guess 3070 have a problem with streaming certain things?

Basically using SE.Live and nothing else.
I'll try and see if something changes when I remove SE.Live from the plugins.

boyefran

This has been happening to me as well for weeks. It's so frustrating and I've tried everything to fix it and no answers are available for it that I can find on these forums. I notice in my logs I get a similar repeating error like OP gets for their browser overlays in the second log they uploaded. Maybe it has to do with that? Here is an example of one of my logs.

Like everyone else. Just my preview freezes and everything else remains working. Could it be an issue with browser overlays? Getting desperate here. Also, I'll bold this as it's important to note: this issue does not create crash logs! Which is a huge reason why this is so hard to troubleshoot.

Attachments

• 2022-12-15 20-40-53.txt
    172.4 KB · Views: 41

Grumtastic

I've created a portable version of OBS 27 and I'm going to set it up and run that to see whether the issue continues.
I'm just figuring out how to install streamfx onto it, without affecting the current version lol

Abbadon

I join you with the same problem. Unfortunately I have already had time to reinstall obs with all the plugins - realizing that it didn't fix the situation at all. The plan is to try to disable Hardware GPU Scheduler in win10, but something tells me it won't help.
I'll post about it a bit later

Grumtastic

Last night I was running OBS28.1.2 alongside the portable OBS 27.2.4. My idea is that I will re-create the entire setup from scratch manually, bit by bit, hoping to create a clean scene collection without losing anything.

There are new options in the Output settings in Advanced mode. It looked like everything had reset. (I don't know if this has anything to do with me running Portable OBS27 alongside or using the same name for the profile on both)

I use this web page as a guide: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/broadcasting-guide/

It has been updated as they have added streaming/recording in HDR, but it doesn't mention the new settings on 28.
  • Preset: Select Quality. You can change this to Max Quality to enable 2-pass encoding; this will provide you with a minor quality increase but may cause problems in limited situations in maxed-out GPUs.
The above option is not available on the 28.
Instead, you have P1 through P7 - I left mine set at P6.
Tuning was set to High Quality, and I can only change this to Low Latency or Ultra Low Latency, so I left it.
Multipass Mode was set to Two Passes (Quarter resolution), you can also choose Two Passes (Full resolution), but given the above warning, I changed it back to Single Pass. I don't know if this is a thing. It may be okay to have Quarter Resolution, but it might also be a bug in that code causing this issue, hence the test.

I changed the encoder to NVIDIA NVENC H.264 from X264 and the bitrate back to 6000 (as my internet bandwidth can accommodate this) from 2500.

Can you let me know if any of the above could be a thing?

I will continue streaming on the 28 and see if I continue to have issues - As you can probably tell, I will report back either way.

Abbadon

Having tested turning off the "Hardware GPU Scheduler" yesterday, I can confidently say that it helps 90% of the time. You can try disabling the "Hardware GPU Scheduler" yourself
Accordingly all the plugins also remain operational and fully functional.

Note: The only bad thing is the Sound Mixer window. If you have a demanding game which drops your FPS <60 - the visual display of the sound level will look intermittent. At first I thought this would have some effect on the sound, but after watching the broadcast I can confidently say there are no sound issues.

Conclusion: If you don't care about looking at the Sound Mixer, I would recommend trying this method while we are all waiting for OBS 29, in which I hope this will all be fixed.

Grumtastic

Further to my last post - it froze again after streaming for like 3 hours. back to the drawing board!

I'll try disabling HAGS

Grimm1981

I have the same issue but I use Game capture and its only doing it with 1 game and that is back 4 Blood only all the other games work fine

KnutH

Further to my last post - it froze again after streaming for like 3 hours. back to the drawing board!

I'll try disabling HAGS
I've been facing same issues as you and also streaming with same settings as you described above.

I believe issues are mainly related to Win11.

Did you try disabling HAGS? This helped me a lot, I believe.
In addition it turned out Win11 upgrade had messed up several system files. To verify, run command prompt (as administrator) and run: sfc /scannow

SFC will give you a report. Mine said there were corrupted files that could not be fixed. I did a complete reinstallation of Win11 and then I had no more issues with corrupted system files.

OBS have still frozen up on me, but only when I exit. I read somewhere it will only freeze if you are in Studio Mode, so next time I will make sure I close OBS with only program view showing, to see if this helps.

Good luck

Grumtastic

I'm happy to report that I have not had the issue at all since disabling HAGS!

On Windows 11 there is an extra step to find the settings:

Settings.
Display.
Graphics.
Change default graphics settings.

I have both Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling AND Optimisations for windowed games switched OFF.

You need to restart the PC for the settings to take effect.

CGallagher30

I have had this issue for awhile now. Disabled HAGS and it was working fine for weeks, but just now the same freeze issue happened again...

I previously only had HAGS disabled, but now I will try HAGS off, Variable Refresh Rate off, and Game Mode off.

Thank you to all the previous relies for the help and suggestions!

ragedarling

Hi all,

Jumping on to say that I've had this exact issue for 3 months now too.

I've tried everything, including fresh Windows install, DDU driver removal, and all of the above but unfortunately nothing has fixed it.

Recently I input this string after the Target location of OBS - "C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe" --disable-gpu-process-crash-limit --remote-debugging-port=12345

I was able to stream for 6 hours before a crash. Not ideal but it's something at least.

CGallagher30

Update for what is happening with me. I have HAGS disabled, variable refresh rate off, and game mode off and it still froze 9 days later. I am also having issues with my stream randomly starting and stopping lately. OBS says I am continuously streaming, but I end up with an assortment of VODs instead of just the one. Not sure if the issues are related or not...

Grumtastic

I don't use Studio mode and have not had any issues whatsoever since disabling HAGS.

I did read somewhere that some people were still having issues due to using Studio mode, so try switching it off when you don't need it. You don't really need it running all the time anyway...

Parental_Advisery

May as well add myself to the list, issue sounds almost identical to other reports in here (am also an NDI user as someone else stated) though I have noticed the audio still continues to stream when this happens until I click on anything in obs, usually will get about 5 clicks with no response and then program freezes entirely.

Have yet to try disabling HAGS, am currently trying compatibility mode with windows 8 and admin privileges and it's been going the longest it has all day today. Is such a weird bug, and as others have stated, nothing shows in the logs so it makes it SUPER difficult to track down

Parental_Advisery

Small update, while disabling HAGS I also decided to go deep into the power savings profile settings suspecting that issue MAY be being caused by something in there thinking it may be a power saving setting interfering with my NDI source on either a display or network level access level (seems partially reproducible by monitor going into sleep mode I felt), and since disabling basically every power saving feature available, and disabling HAGS and all windows 11 gaming related stuff around there I managed to have solid 12+ hour stream without reproducing the error.

Will post again if problem returns, but fingers crossed so far it seems to be back to stable!

Grumtastic

May as well add myself to the list, issue sounds almost identical to other reports in here (am also an NDI user as someone else stated) though I have noticed the audio still continues to stream when this happens until I click on anything in obs, usually will get about 5 clicks with no response and then program freezes entirely.

Have yet to try disabling HAGS, am currently trying compatibility mode with windows 8 and admin privileges and it's been going the longest it has all day today. Is such a weird bug, and as others have stated, nothing shows in the logs so it makes it SUPER difficult to track down

OBS28+ does not support windows below 10, so compatibility mode shouldn't make any difference.

It's a good practice only to change one setting at a time. This way you will know which setting you changed had the desired effect.

As a test, I suggest re-enabling HAGS and seeing whether the issue returns.