OBS instantly freezes and crashes when saving replay

kfranky

First of all the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/dFaFHijNzFTH4BHS

So I've been successfully using and streaming with OBS (+ StreamElements plugin) in the last couple of weeks. I did a fresh windows install on the weekend (no real issues, just wanted to have everything fresh since this PC is barely 2 months old and a lot of software has been installed and deinstalled for testing purposes).

So far so good. Activating replay buffer is not an issue but once I hit my hotkey to save a replay I get a small window "recording error" and OBS instantly freezes and crashes to desktop about 3 seconds later.

This has not happened before my clean win11 install (win11 previously as well) and no hardware changes have taken place whatsoever.

Running OBS as admin does fix the issue but I'm still encountering some stuttering with my FaceCam (Elgato FaceCam Pro), so something is very fishy. Running OBS as admin was NOT necessary last week, everything ran fine. I installed the latest nvidia drivers first, then let windows update take care of the rest - as I've done when I built and set up this machine initially.

I hope someone can help me look into this and can learn more from the log file than I can.

Thanks

kfranky

Solved

In case anyone finds this thread and has the same issue, here's what did it for me:

I did a clean GPU driver install with DDU (followed the recommended procedure). This did not help.

I then did a complete fresh install of Windows 11 and instantly installed the latest GPU driver first. Only then did I let Windows Update take care of the rest.

Hopefully this helps someone.