OBS Induces Encoding Overload While no issue Nvidia ShadowPlay with the same settings in 4K HDR

Trying to record 4K HDR on OBS Not even with the lowest settings
NVenc HEVC
CBR
40 000 kbps
Preset 1 Fastest
Ultra Low Latency
No look Ahead
No B Frames

Color Range REC 2020
Limited PQ
on BF 2042.

Launching the record and just after lags in the game as soon as there is any activity in the Game other than the main menu.

Nvidia ShadowPlay Same settings : No issues at All.

What happening, actually OBS can record 4K HDR 10 Bits only when not too much rendering is done by the GPU ?
The absence of HDR recording capabilities was mainly the reason I didn t use OBS befor the HDR Update but now that I want to use it Impossible to record HDR in a stable way ??
Is there a developper who can answer to this issue ?

RIG :
SAMSUNG 9 Series UE65KS9000 4K HDR 10
Nvidia EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
Intel i9 9900K
Kingston Fury 32 GB 2666 MHz.

Still the same issue with OBS while no issues at all with ShadowPlay withe the same capture settings.... So is there isssues with the 4K HDR Implementation on OBS ? Does a developper noticed it ? Any plans to fix these issues.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Using Ultra Low Latency for recording seems kind of pointless (and CBR...).

Yes ! And even with that setting with an Nvidia EVGA RTX 2080 Ti there are lags and stutters in HDR while on ShadowPlay not even one lag. Just wonder if I up the settings to P5 !?
(Already tried but same results : Like I said I tried a lot of settings before posting anything here.......)

Especially for this issue and following your request I remade a test capture session.

Here are the Logs if you want to study them.
You will notice the that the frames are very irregulars and that suddenly, when a lot of ennemies are close, big frame drops are occuring. These are the logs from 2 test recording sessions in 4K HDR with the same settings except the Bitrate which are : for the 1st 80 Mpbs AND the 2nd 40 Mpbs.
Result is that nothing change, the same frame drops are occuring, the same huge lags, the same tearings and slowerings, the same sudden encoding overload while the recording settings are pretty basic and usual recording settings used in Nvidia ShadowPlay with no issues at all.....
On BF 2042, with these impact on the gameplay, it s littetterally unplayable which is absoluetly not the case with ShadowPlay.
Even if ShadowPlay records in VBR, the capture is recognized as 80 Mpbs 4K HDR by MediaInfo and the Average Bitrate is pretty close to that value.

There is a big issue with 4K HDR Recording with OBS. Why with the same setup and same settings is there issues with OBS and no issues at all with ShadowPlay ????
I didn t use OBS before because it wasn t possible to record in 4K HDR but now that there is the feature with the new update, there are stutterings issues and gameplay impacts that make the game unplayableble.
I would try to use OBS as I do with ShadowPlay on a regular recording basis but I cannot because of these issues.

Take a 2080 Ti | i9 9900K on Windows 11 Last Build on BF 2042 if you can in 4K HDR, record with OBS with the same settings and just after with ShadowPlay, you will notice the difference, no doubt.

The Game even crashed at one point not because it s BF 2042 but because certainly of irregular encoding overload peak......

Attachments

• 2022-11-11 04-11-43_80 Mbps.txt
    39.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2022-11-11 05-06-34_40 Mpbs.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2022-11-11 054617.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 054617.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2022-11-11 054637.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 054637.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2022-11-11 054724.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 054724.png
    101 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2022-11-11 054739.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 054739.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 42

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 055841.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 055841.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 34

Also :
_Hardware Accelarated GPU (HAGPU)
_Optimization for Windowed Games
Had beed Turned OFF spefically for the occasion because apparently OBS doesen t like it as of the current build.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 061304.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 061304.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 38

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Your log shows you using P5 (Slow) which likely cannot handle 4k HDR. Try a faster preset.

rockbottom

Why are you recording @ 60FPS when your monitor is only displaying 30? Record @ 30, lag will be gone.

Your audio sampling rate settings need to be fixed, all should match.

Disable Game DVR

Encoding settings are suspect & what's your Z drive?

Your log shows you using P5 (Slow) which likely cannot handle 4k HDR. Try a faster preset.
I already tried with all available preset and tuning before posting here but tried again to post you the Log and same results with these settings, Lags, Tearing, Gameplay Slowering which become unplayable. Thing that doesen t happen with ShadoPlay with the same Settings.

Attachments

• 2022-11-11 22-32-05_P7 Slowest.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-11-11 224713.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 224713.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 18
ShadowPlay still generate VFR (variable frame rate)?
OBS use CFR (constant frame rate).
Don’t check Psycho visual tuning.
Yes ! ShadowPlay still used a forced VBR by default.
And do you know what is the Average Bitrate reported by MediaInfo when set to 80 Mpbs even if it s VBR ? : 70 Mbs !!
Pretty Close !?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 225342.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 225342.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
Why are you recording @ 60FPS when your monitor is only displaying 30? Record @ 30, lag will be gone.

Your audio sampling rate settings need to be fixed, all should match.

Disable Game DVR

Encoding settings are suspect & what's your Z drive?

_I m recording over 30 FPS @ 60 FPS to capture all the event happening and to be sure to not miss a single frame.
But the recording framerate is the same used by ShadowPlay and no issues at all on this side.
_As well for Audio, the sample rate and audio frequency refresh rate are set over the playing and recording frequency to be at the max quality and be sure to get the max audio quality even if it s an imperceptible effect but still.
_I don t disable the XBOX Gamebar because the Microsoft Implementation and in Game Overlay convenient enough at some point to get acces to your audio mixer at any time when you are fullscreen or to get access to the date and time or your achievements or things like that without Alt Tabbing and wait the fullscreen to display you the desktop again or be kicked faster for inactivity in games while leaving fullscreen. Same thing here, the XBOX Gamebar doesen t generate any issues while recording with ShadowPlay (Note that I don t use any Replay all this automatic recording tools are turned OFF).....
_Encoding settings are suspects ?? What does this Link mean are there forbidden encoding settings for specific GPUs ??
_My Z drive is an HDD Seagate Barraccuda 8 TB 7200 RPM. The Game is installed on a Seagate FireCuda SSD NVMe 1 TB and Recording on the Seagate, no issues at all with ShadowPlay, recording on the same HDD.
The last Test Recording sessions for which the Log is in ATTM has been made correcting the settings you were suspecting.
Even at 30 FPS, whith the audio sample rate and bitrate synchronized. The same Lags, Tearings, slowerings which make the game unplayable are occuring. Thing that doesen t happen with ShadowPlay.....

Attachments

• 2022-11-11 22-32-05_P7 Slowest.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 9
2160p SDR @ 30FPS CQP w/P5 Preset & HQ Tune, 60FPS is a non starter.

View attachment 88636
What are you comparing, your perfs while recording in Rec. 709 Limited at 30 FPS in P5 Preset AND Moreover with a 3090 ?
60 FPS isn t apparently a non starter for ShadowPlay, again, no issues at all.
But if OBS cannot record 4K HDR at least as well as ShadowPlay is doing it with the same rig and same settings, it s worth to inform potential downloader of OBS that you need a 4090 Ti to record and stream in 4K HDR with OBS while you can do the same recording quality with ShadowPlay apparently.....
Or there is a recording setting to or something to do that someone can present here which can solve the issue ?
Waiting for any solution because like said confer supra, would be interesting to finally try OBS for recording on a daily regular basis for Max Quality !

rockbottom

As well for Audio, the sample rate and audio frequency refresh rate are set over the playing and recording frequency to be at the max quality and be sure to get the max audio quality even if it s an imperceptible effect but still.

What??

HDR adds more load to the encoder than SDR. I was just showing you that 2160 @ 60FPS is a no go.

Stop comparing OBS to Shadowplay. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
To be blunt, your encoding settings suck.

Try this

CQP
CQ 18
Preset P5
Profile High
Tuning HQ
Multipass Qres
I even invite you to be blunt : I m here to get your solutions not to get politnesses !
CQP : OK
CQ 18 : OK
Preset P5 : OK (Even if @R1CH said : using P5 (Slow) which likely cannot handle 4k HDR. Try a faster preset.)
Profile High : Doesen t exists : it s Main or Main10 no High at all : But for 4K HDR it s Main10.
Tuning HQ : OK
Multipass Qres : So MultiPass Mode : Two Passes (Quarter Resolution) : Already that there are Lags, an even heavier preset.... But OK.
Trying with these settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 233154.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 233154.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 48