OBS Induces Encoding Overload While no issue Nvidia ShadowPlay with the same settings in 4K HDR

rockbottom

I just looked at your Task Manger picture, your GPU is running 30c hotter than my GPU ever does. For the load on it, that's crazy hot. Got any air going in that case? How hot is your CPU?

rockbottom

Might be time to clean filters, vents & the GPU is probably caked with dust, get the compressed air. Don't let the compressed air spin your fans, might damage the bearings...

rockbottom

I disconnect the tower & take outside once or twice a year & blast away. My PC is on 24/7 & I'm always amazed how much shit gets inside there even with filters everywhere.

Might be time to clean filters, vents & the GPU is probably caked with dust, get the compressed air. Don't let the compressed air spin your fans, might damage the bearings...
I Use an Electric Powered Air Compressor. I dissassemble the whole PC Regulary,. I dissassemble the GPU too. It s all clean.
The case is completly open and close to a nearby windows with open windows by 16C outside.
But still 5C higher than when I bought the 2080 Ti and for that reason I ve bought Artcic premium thermal paste that I ve plan to install the day I ll clean the Rig again.
But I always run the Games full settings 4K HDR 10 Ray Tracing ON on a 2080 Ti since Day One and always been around 80C for the most ressource demanding games. Monitored with EVGA PrecisionX and Also checked with HWiNFO. Same results since the begining ; 80C. Do you find this strange for a 2080 Ti ?

I disconnect the tower & take outside once or twice a year & blast away. My PC is on 24/7 & I'm always amazed how much shit gets inside there even with filters everywhere.
By the way, appear to be a lot better with the last settings !

Attachments

• 2022-11-12 00-39-16.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 15
These CPU GPU Temps are the Ones I frequently find in the benchmarks on the same setups Nvidia EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra | Intel i9 900 K.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-12 023006.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-12 023006.png
    265 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2022-11-12 022951.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-12 022951.png
    431.6 KB · Views: 14
Always been at 80C on games Like : RDR Online, Hitman 3, BF 2042, GTA Online, DCS, SOT, ARMA. And on the Summer when it s 40 C outside and I have no AC, the Temps are even hotter.....

Previous Correction : *i9 9900K for the CPU.

This RIG is my Custom Build I ve assembled.

Is the Multipass Monde Mandotory to keep as Quarter or is it possible to switch it to "Simple" ?

rockbottom

Like I said, your PC appears to be running way hotter than I'm used to seeing with my set-up. I like things cool under fire.

New log looks better but not perfect. Desktop Audio.I is still an issue & there's still some minor lagged frames.

Write to the NVMe & if that doesn't clear up that little bit of lag completely, you might want to roll back that Nvidia driver.

No, you can disable multipass. When I did my tests, qres didn't add all that much to the encoder load, maybe 1%.

I forgot to add, I've been using Studio driver 522.30 since it was released so it's fully vetted at this point.
OK Got it
Like I said, your PC appears to be running way hotter than I'm used to seeing with my set-up. I like things cool under fire.

New log looks better but not perfect. Desktop Audio.I is still an issue & there's still some minor lagged frames.

Write to the NVMe & if that doesn't clear up that little bit of lag completely, you might want to roll back that Nvidia driver.

No, you can disable multipass. When I did my tests, qres didn't add all that much to the encoder load, maybe 1%.
But maybe it s because your are with a 3090 which has the Quadruple of TFLOPS so the effort the GPU make is a lot less stressing and demanding, because all the benchmarks are the same as what I get for 2080 Ti Benchmarks 4K HDR Full Settings, there are all at 80C+-6C.
I dont have a watercooled GPU even if I would to with a GPU Block and Like the cooler as possible too, this why all my build has been whith an open case only.
Maybe I ll watercool the 4090 Ti or 5090 Ti, when I ll decide to Buy it.
My Current Build date from 2019, just after the 2080 Ti came out. I try to build the best non-SLI PC RIG with the best Quality and Performance Hardware available on the market.
Next time I ll build a GPU Watercooled by EKWB RIG but more expensive or ready to go 3rd Party already AIO Watercooled GPU.
And the next GPU likle you said are less hot because more TFLOPS, it s easier for 'em to run games.

What do you notice in Desktop Audio.I ? All is at 48 KHz.

rockbottom

Look at the log, audio buffering maxed out. Why? Not exactly sure what caused it but system overload is possible.

Same, disabled.

Too much lags and gameplay slowering in CQP. Even with the lowest settings. I ve Ended by setting back to VBR : Bitrate : 40 Mps, Max Bitrate : 80 Mps.
And still a Lot Lot of ressources are used compared to ShadowPlay, there still a lot of lags, gameplay slowering, tearing. Why OBS is so heavy loaded on GPU why Nvidia isn t at all with the same settings, getting back to the original question of this post.
You can throw ShadowPlay to the garbage according to you but ShadowPlay can Record VBR 4K HDR at 80 Mpbs even at double this framerate with a low average at 10% Less Bitrate.
I m writing this while I m simultaneously recording the game in VBR 4K HDR with the lowest settings and I ve still Lag while writting ! Can even write on a forum correctly while it s recording.
Why OBS doesen t do the job it s advertising ? It s the Original Question of this post.
Maybe the optimisation issue is to consider about OBS compared to ShadowPlay. And it s not comparing Apple to Oranges, because ShadowPlay does the job, on a 2080 Ti while OBS Lag Lag Lag and Lag and cause artefacts Loading errors, gameplay slowerings, low refresh rates even in VBR and in the lowest settings, with on the same RIG.

Trying hard here to use OBS in 4K HDR with a 2080 Ti, but it appears to be a complex job apparently worth of until there 3 pages of forum while with ShadowPlay you push a button and it works no issues at all !

Can someone identify and explain the issue with OBS in 4K HDR 60 FPS ?
Because if OBS doesen t work at least with the same performances and quality as ShadowPlayu does with the same setup, you say that OBS doesen t do 4K HDR 60 FPS on 2080 Ti with a i9 9900K 32 GB RAM SSD NVMe. And it s worth to notice it that OBS requires a Lot better Rig than ShadowPlay does require for 4K HDR.

Waiting for someone here to prove that you can record 4K HDR 60 FPS VBR 80 Mbps with no Lags and Gameplay Impact Slowering Issues with OBS with a 2080 Ti !

Attachments

• 2022-11-12 04-14-27_1.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2022-11-12 051536.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-12 051536.png
    103 KB · Views: 16
OK Maybe it s the preset according to this article : "Be very careful with this setting, because even one step faster or slower can have a huge impact on CPU usage. For example, the preset named "faster" can use twice the amount of CPU as "veryfast", the one right above it. Always set it back to veryfast if you're not sure what to set this to."

Tomasz Góral

Yes ! ShadowPlay still used a forced VBR by default.
And do you know what is the Average Bitrate reported by MediaInfo when set to 80 Mpbs even if it s VBR ? : 70 Mbs !!
Pretty Close !?
VBR != VFR
variable bit rate != variable frame rate

One is bitrate of video, second is variable frame rate, OBS has only Constantly Frame Rate.
So OBS need more powerfull CPU and GPU because working with e.g. 60 FPS, ShadowPlay efficency got 40 FPS (this is only sample).
ShadowPlay need less power.