Question / Help Obs drops down FPS while streaming on twitch

An11mo

Lately I've been streaming on Twitch with 60fps. On twitch the frame rate was smooth 60 but at the same time in game the game felt like it was running on 30fps. When streaming at 30 thought, the game runs smoothly.
Anyone knows the solution?

FerretBomb

Post a logfile from a live streaming or recording session at least 30 seconds in length, where the issue occurred. We need it to troubleshoot, why it asks for one when you open a new thread in the Support section. There is a pinned topic at the top of the forum with instructions on how to do this.

Most commonly though, erratic framerate displayed at the bottom of the OBS window indicates GPU over-loading, that your game is using up 100% of the GPU resources, so OBS can't complete all of its housekeeping tasks in time to have the next frame ready, and is forced to skip frames.

An11mo

Post a logfile from a live streaming or recording session at least 30 seconds in length, where the issue occurred. We need it to troubleshoot, why it asks for one when you open a new thread in the Support section. There is a pinned topic at the top of the forum with instructions on how to do this.

Most commonly though, erratic framerate displayed at the bottom of the OBS window indicates GPU over-loading, that your game is using up 100% of the GPU resources, so OBS can't complete all of its housekeeping tasks in time to have the next frame ready, and is forced to skip frames.
How can I lower the usage in order to leave space for OBS?

carlmmii

Post a log file and we can see what can be done. Without knowing what's going on from OBS's point of view, we can't give you accurate advice.

carlmmii

carlmmii

Code:
22:19:50.922:       output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=165, name=VG278
22:19:50.922:       output 1: pos={1920, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=60, name=C27F390
Windows currently has issues with dealing with multiple monitors running off the same GPU handling hardware accelerated applications running on multiple monitors at different refresh rates. Supposedly this is being fixed to some extent in the new May 2020 windows update, but currently the only real workaround is to either run both monitors at the same refresh rate, or disable all hardware acceleration on your secondary monitor, which would be done in this case by disabling your OBS preview.

An11mo

Code:
22:19:50.922:       output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=165, name=VG278
22:19:50.922:       output 1: pos={1920, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=60, name=C27F390
Windows currently has issues with dealing with multiple monitors running off the same GPU handling hardware accelerated applications running on multiple monitors at different refresh rates. Supposedly this is being fixed to some extent in the new May 2020 windows update, but currently the only real workaround is to either run both monitors at the same refresh rate, or disable all hardware acceleration on your secondary monitor, which would be done in this case by disabling your OBS preview.
I tried disabling OBS preview but it still lags

vapeahoy

.. felt like it was running on 30fps.

If this is a situation with "feeling", it sounds like input lag caused by load on the system. In which case you should make sure load calibration are at fixed values. It doesnt matter if the system is overclocked or not, as it is also a matter of motherboard engineering and bios updates/drivers etc.
Ie. a system can be deemed as "stable" in benchmarks, but it doesnt mean it isn't at the verge of not being stable and voltage fed to components are just barely enough. This is a very boring answear i know, but dealing with "feels like" is often problems very boring to solve as it quickly becomes a matter of checking things off the list.

An11mo

If this is a situation with "feeling", it sounds like input lag caused by load on the system. In which case you should make sure load calibration are at fixed values. It doesnt matter if the system is overclocked or not, as it is also a matter of motherboard engineering and bios updates/drivers etc.
Ie. a system can be deemed as "stable" in benchmarks, but it doesnt mean it isn't at the verge of not being stable and voltage fed to components are just barely enough. This is a very boring answear i know, but dealing with "feels like" is often problems very boring to solve as it quickly becomes a matter of checking things off the list.
Where should I start?

vapeahoy

Where should I start?

Don't use auto values in bios. Test different values, figure out where voltage drops on load and stay ahead of the curve. Do some research on your hardware by reading what others have done etc. What values other use for the same value may or may not be the same for you, in general for load calibration stuff, it tends to be the same. Exceptions to that is generally motherboard revisions/changes from bios updates. You also need to rule out potential overclock software, which generally don't use that when streaming or even at all.