OBS Crashing when i switch scene selections

lithodora

Crash Log:

Log File:

I have removed plugins not in use.
I have uninstalled SE.Live. Installed OBS-Studio. Reinstalled SE.Live.

I have created a new Scene Collection and when switching to it my OBS crashes instantly.

At this moment I am able to use the scenes within the Scene Collection that opens with OBS seemingly without issue.

I see another post with similar issue this morning. Hoping we may get this resolved quickly as I have a charity stream tomorrow with a dozen other streamers set to be on the show and it's been promoted for over a month.

.norman.

ok, so i wasn't the one with the issue so i am not 100% sure about this. but if i remember correctly: the resolution, for at least 1 user, was to uninstall OBS and SE.Live then install an older version of OBS v27.x.x then use the update tool from inside obs to upgrade to the newest version. and this resolved the issue for him.

lithodora

ok, so i wasn't the one with the issue so i am not 100% sure about this. but if i remember correctly: the resolution, for at least 1 user, was to uninstall OBS and SE.Live then install an older version of OBS v27.x.x then use the update tool from inside obs to upgrade to the newest version. and this resolved the issue for him.
My stream setup was so complicated I was trying to do anything but that. It was my next step though... I'll report back.

.norman.

My stream setup was so complicated I was trying to do anything but that. It was my next step though... I'll report back.
make a backup! export your scene collection and profile data or backup the %appdata%\obs-studio\basic folder.

lithodora

make a backup! export your scene collection and profile data or backup the %appdata%\obs-studio\basic folder.
I tried updating StreamFX and now OBS won't even load. I've backed up the profiles folders and will be uninstalling each item and trying again. Taking a good break from it all first.

lithodora

After a series of tests installing/uninstalling. Removed StreamFX which was heavily relied upon, but that seems to make the difference. Rebuilding all my scenes/filters now.

.norman.

you are the 2nd person in 2 days to tell me that streamFX appeared to be their issue. I use streamFX but only for the blur filter (there is probably a more lightweight solution but i haven't looked) but i have no problems with it. I do suspect that it causes an intermittent crash on closing OBS but it does not affect function (that i can tell) so i have not worried about it too much.

I have registered my account here just to respond to this message...
Long story short - I found it to be the vertical pluggin. Long version:

I have been using OBS appx 2 years, and roughly 3 months ago (something like 29.1.1 - although don't quote) OBS would crash EVERY TIME i switched scenes. The fix was easy - roll back to ver 29.1 and stay there.
Out comes OBS 30 recently, and I deciede to make the move - maybe "they fixed it"... right? Nope, it kept on crashing. I vaguely recall reading something about the way OBS would "release sources" and remember back I started and was getting to grips with OBS, all the "here's how to make a mega stream the easy way" type content creators were pushing this certain pluggin that let you make "normal" streams as well as "vertical content" at the same time, you just pushed a button and the last 60 seconds would get exported as a vertical.
Sounds great - in practice I only used it once or twice and forgot about it (I just closed all the docks)
Had no idea the addon/pluggin was still running all these (many) months, and because the crash log left NO CLUE as to who was behind the crash (it was OBS having trouble closing scenes, NOT the pluggin itself)
I remember something someone said about OBS re-did the way it named scenes, and I then wondered "what if that dang vertical plugin was creating hidden scenes someone, to use by itself, and that was somehow interfeering... the answer would immediately fix the problem, it was the old vertical pluggin that I no longer used, I can't recall the .dll file name, but it wasn't the most obviously named.