Question / Help OBS crashing on startup on High Sierra 10.13.6

zer0c001

@lucabi
Have you tried launching OBS from the 'Terminal' app on your mac, as opposed to just clicking on the app icon? If not, give it a try by following these steps and let me know if you run into similar issues while trying to accomplish the same tasks.

1) Open Terminal application on your Mac
2) Copy and paste the below into your terminal:
Bash:
/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS; exit

3) Hit Enter
4) Leave Terminal running while using OBS

I've found launching OBS from terminal can be helpful in alleviating various issues on Macs. Let me know if this works and feel free to post the log file or explain in more detail what happened if it doesn't.

Hope that's helpful!

Lightcathing

@lucabi
Have you tried launching OBS from the 'Terminal' app on your mac, as opposed to just clicking on the app icon? If not, give it a try by following these steps and let me know if you run into similar issues while trying to accomplish the same tasks.

1) Open Terminal application on your Mac
2) Copy and paste the below into your terminal:
Bash:

3) Hit Enter
4) Leave Terminal running while using OBS

I've found launching OBS from terminal can be helpful in alleviating various issues on Macs. Let me know if this works and feel free to post the log file or explain in more detail what happened if it doesn't.

Hope that's helpful!
I tried doing this and it still crashes on start-up. weird thing is when I log-in to another user, it works? Any idea?

zer0c001

I tried doing this and it still crashes on start-up. weird thing is when I log-in to another user, it works? Any idea?
Hey @Lightcathing - Let's give this a try...I suspect this may be an accessibility/permissioning issue since you mentioned that it works with another user login but not yours:

1) Open up the application on your Mac titled System Preferences --->Click Security & Privacy ----> Click Privacy.
2) Then in the left hand column, click on "Accessibility".
3) Click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, enter your pw when prompted so you can make a change. Press the "+" icon and add OBS (and make sure it's selected).
4) Restart computer, and launching OBS from terminal again using:
Bash:

Let me know if this fixes it or if not, post the log file and any relevant screenshots.

syspref-addobs to accessibility apps.png
camera - enable obs.png

HansJK

I have the same problem. OBS stops responding while opening it. I did what you said but it didn't work.
macOS Catalina 10.15.3
OBS Version: 24.0.6 (Latest macOS version of OBS)
I know Windows have a newer version of OBS 25.0.1.

This is what the Terminal told me was wrong:
Code:
info: ---------------------------------
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-ouput-ui.so'
error: os_dlopen(libpython3.7m.dylib->libpython3.7m.dylib): dlopen(libpython3.7m.dylib, 257): image not found

warning: [Python] Could not load library: libpython3.7m.dylib
Changed waitThread to realtime priority!
info: No blackmagic support
info: [VideoToolbox encoder]: Adding VideoToolbox H264 encoders
info: [obs-browser]: Version 2.7.16
info: VLC found, VLC video source enabled
warning: Ignoring old obs-browser.so version
error: os_dlopen(/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so->/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so): dlopen(/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so, 257): Library not loaded: @rpath/QtWidgets
  Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so
  Reason: image not found

warning: Module '/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so' not loaded
info:   Loaded Modules:
info:     vlc-video.so
info:     text-freetype2.so
info:     rtmp-services.so
info:     obs-x264.so
info:     obs-vst.so
info:     obs-transitions.so
info:     obs-outputs.so
info:     obs-libfdk.so
info:     obs-filters.so
info:     obs-ffmpeg.so
info:     obs-browser.so
info:     mac-vth264.so
info:     mac-syphon.so
info:     mac-decklink.so
info:     mac-capture.so
info:     mac-avcapture.so
info:     linux-jack.so
info:     image-source.so
info:     frontend-tools.so
info:     decklink-ouput-ui.so
info:     coreaudio-encoder.so
error: os_dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser->../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so): dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so, 257): image not found

info: ==== Startup complete ===============================================
info: All scene data cleared
info: ------------------------------------------------
info: coreaudio: device 'Soundflower (2ch)' initialized
info: coreaudio: device 'Built-in Microphone' initialized
info: [Media Source 'Media Source']: settings:
    input:                   
    input_format:            (null)
    speed:                   100
    is_looping:              no
    is_hw_decoding:          no
    is_clear_on_media_end:   yes
    restart_on_activate:     yes
    close_when_inactive:     no
Asked for all format descriptions...
Asked for format description...
info: Video Capture Device 3: Selected device 'EpocCam'
info: Video Capture Device 3: Using preset 1280x720
[setting] Setting kCMIODevicePropertyDeviceMaster to 759
[setting] Setting kCMIOStreamPropertyFormatDescription
Got new format : 1280x720
Asked for format description...
info: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds (source: Mic/Aux)

Narcogen

EpocCam hasn't been updated since May 2019.

I would try removing your existing profiles/scene collections. Make a backup first. They're in:

~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/basic

And see if the crash still occurs.

cmr924

I am having similar issues, but none of these fixes worked. Launching from terminal, installing NDI separately as well as with the package installer (even though I have High Sierra NOT Catalina), clearing profiles/scenes, giving OBS access to make changes in Preferences, etc. Here is my crash log: https://pastebin.com/ZhMvFbzQ

As soon as I try selecting a source for NDI is when it crashes immediately.

Narcogen

What version of NDI Runtime/Tools do you have installed?

NewTek updated from 4.1 to 4.5 this week and removed the old versions, and I think the OBS plugin crashes with the new version.

4.1 works.

DJ Paul C

Tried this also, no joy :(

Hi Zer0c001, OBS keeps crashing on opening. Used it for about a month. Paid for OBS cam. Couldn't add it over wifi. Kept hunting for solutions to OBS cam to work over wifi following different people's advice. At one stage advised to DLed Runtime 4.5.1 & NDI 4.9.0 now program completely crashes, tried deleting it and reinstalling. Same problem, non stop crashing :( I DJed for a living , I run a mac book pro 13 inch with Sierra 10.12.6, I have an iPhone 7 & 5s & a Pioneer DDJ SRs mixer/controller for audio. I really appreciated having this when I did, below is my crash log, pease will you help me or point me somewhere I can get help? Thank you in advance

Paul :)

https://pastebin.com/PmcDrwmA

HansJK

It seems to be fixed by the lates obs-ndi version: 4.9.1 https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.9.1
Though this allows the NDI to show up in the tool menu, and connect to NDI streams, I still don't get any picture from my NDI streams. It's just black. I'm using it between macOS and Elementary OS. But when I do it between macOS and Windows 10 it works just fine.

cesarcatalan

THIS WORKED ON MY CASE! Thanks a lot!

Hey @Lightcathing - Let's give this a try...I suspect this may be an accessibility/permissioning issue since you mentioned that it works with another user login but not yours:

1) Open up the application on your Mac titled System Preferences --->Click Security & Privacy ----> Click Privacy.
3) Click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, enter your pw when prompted so you can make a change. Press the "+" icon and add OBS (and make sure it's selected).
Bash:

Let me know if this fixes it or if not, post the log file and any relevant screenshots.

camera - enable obs.png

Lightcathing

Bash:

camera - enable obs.png
This did not work neither for me.
After restarting, tried to open OBS via Terminal, still the same problem.

Boehmrunner

I have tried everything mentioned in these forums. Here is what Terminal came back with when I tried the Bash command:
info: Using preferred locale 'en-GB'
info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3680 @ 3.33GHz
info: CPU Speed: 3330MHz
info: Physical Cores: 6, Logical Cores: 12
info: Physical Memory: 26624MB Total
info: OS Name: Mac OS X (NSMACHOperatingSystem)
info: OS Version: Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14033)
info: Kernel Version: 17.7.0
info: hotkeys-cocoa: Using layout 'com.apple.keylayout.US'
info: Portable mode: false
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_clicked()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_destroyed()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionGridMode_triggered()
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_program_customContextMenuRequested(QPoint)
QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_transitionRemove_clicked()
info: OBS 26.0.2 (mac)
info: audio settings reset:
samples per sec: 48000
speakers: 2
info: Initializing OpenGL...
info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 5770 OpenGL Engine
info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 4.1 ATI-1.68.25, shading language 4.10
info: video settings reset:
base resolution: 1920x1080
output resolution: 1280x720
downscale filter: Bicubic
fps: 30/1
format: NV12
YUV mode: 709/Partial
info: NV12 texture support not available
info: Audio monitoring device:
name: Default
id: default
2020-10-09 13:41:20.010 OBS[1640:15479] Error loading /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin/Contents/MacOS/obs-mac-virtualcam: dlopen(/Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin/Contents/MacOS/obs-mac-virtualcam, 262): Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin
Referenced from: /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin/Contents/MacOS/obs-mac-virtualcam (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin/Contents/MacOS/obs-mac-virtualcam
2020-10-09 13:41:20.010 OBS[1640:15479] Cannot find function pointer PlugInMain for factory 35FDFF29-BFCF-4644-AB77-B759DE932ABE in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7fd2a0d81410 </Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
warning: A DeckLink iterator could not be created. The DeckLink drivers may not be installed
info: [obs-browser]: Version 2.8.7
warning: Failed to load 'en-GB' text for module: 'obs-ios-camera-source.so'
info: Loading iOS Camera Plugin (version 2.6.1)
warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'obs-mac-virtualcam.so'
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _objc_alloc_init
Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-mac-virtualcam/bin/obs-mac-virtualcam.so (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib
dyld: Symbol not found: _objc_alloc_init
Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-mac-virtualcam/bin/obs-mac-virtualcam.so (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

pdsutton

Similar problem to Boehmrunner above – have tried the various things above but still get no startup. Here's the log from running the bash command:

info: Using preferred locale 'en-GB'

info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7360U CPU @ 2.30GHz

info: CPU Speed: 2300MHz

info: Physical Cores: 2, Logical Cores: 4

info: Physical Memory: 8192MB Total

info: OS Name: Mac OS X (NSMACHOperatingSystem)

info: OS Version: Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14033)

info: Kernel Version: 17.7.0

info: hotkeys-cocoa: Using layout 'com.apple.keylayout.British'

info: Portable mode: false

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_clicked()

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_destroyed()

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionGridMode_triggered()

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_program_customContextMenuRequested(QPoint)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_transitionRemove_clicked()

info: OBS 26.0.2 (mac)

info: audio settings reset:

samples per sec: 48000

speakers: 2

info: Initializing OpenGL...

info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter Intel Inc. Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640

info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 4.1 INTEL-10.36.32, shading language 4.10

info: video settings reset:

base resolution: 1280x720

output resolution: 1280x720

downscale filter: Bicubic

fps: 30/1

format: NV12

YUV mode: 709/Partial

info: NV12 texture support not available

info: Audio monitoring device:

name: Default

id: default

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): PlugInMain version=1.2.0

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_QueryInterface

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_Release sRefCount now = 0

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_InitializeWithObjectID self=0x13b34768

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1684629094

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled setPropertyDataWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1869180523

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled setPropertyDataWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded

2020-10-09 17:57:01.011 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1885762592

warning: A DeckLink iterator could not be created. The DeckLink drivers may not be installed

info: [obs-browser]: Version 2.8.7

info: Loaded Modules:

info: vlc-video.so

info: text-freetype2.so

info: rtmp-services.so

info: obs-x264.so

info: obs-vst.so

info: obs-transitions.so

info: obs-outputs.so

info: obs-libfdk.so

info: obs-filters.so

info: obs-ffmpeg.so

info: obs-browser.so

info: mac-vth264.so

info: mac-syphon.so

info: mac-decklink.so

info: mac-capture.so

info: mac-avcapture.so

info: linux-jack.so

info: image-source.so

info: frontend-tools.so

info: decklink-ouput-ui.so

info: coreaudio-encoder.so

error: os_dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser->../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so): dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so, 257): image not found

info: ==== Startup complete ===============================================

info: Switched to Preview/Program mode

info: All scene data cleared

info: coreaudio: device 'Built-in Microphone' initialized

info: [Loaded global audio device]: 'Mic/Aux'

info: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds (source: Mic/Aux)

error: Source ID 'droidcam_obs' not found

error: Failed to create source 'Will's Oneplus'!

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1818850926

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled setPropertyDataWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1869180523

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled setPropertyDataWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1937009955

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1886156132

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Device(44) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1935833461

2020-10-09 17:57:03.108 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.109 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.109 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.109 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.109 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.110 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.110 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.110 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.110 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.111 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.111 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.111 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.111 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.112 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.112 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.112 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.112 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.113 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): HardwarePlugIn_ObjectSetPropertyData Stream(45) kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded self=0x13b34768 data(int)=1885762592

2020-10-09 17:57:03.113 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Stream unhandled setPropertyDataWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyListenerAdded

2020-10-09 17:57:03.114 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIODevicePropertySuspendedByUser

2020-10-09 17:57:03.114 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

2020-10-09 17:57:03.114 OBS[652:6092] obs-mac-virtualcam(DAL): Device unhandled hasPropertyWithAddress for kCMIOObjectPropertyOwnedObjects

info: iSight: Selected device 'FaceTime HD Camera'

info: iSight: Using preset 1280x720

Segmentation fault: 11

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.