Bug Report OBS crashing on start and randomly

Der Fleischmann

Hey guys,

just got my new Elgato 4k60 Pro recently and everything worked fine first, but after a couple of days my OBS runs rather unstable and crashes on start or during the stream randomly. I attached you guys the minidump and logfiles from a few minutes ago. It would be awesome, if you could get my problem resolved! ;-)

Cheers from Germany!

Attachments

• 2018-05-25 21-54-49.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 51
  • minidump.txt
    101.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Der Fleischmann

That should be it:

EDIT: I thought that that was the minidump-file. Sry.

Attachments

• Crash 2018-05-25 21-54-53.txt
    101.6 KB · Views: 41

Der Fleischmann

@Harold Thx for your help! Searching the preferences I can't find such a https feature in Avira Free Antivir directly, but I've put OBS and its directory on the exception from real time scanning list.

Should I update the chipset drivers of the 1800x plus all the MB drivers aswell? My BIOS is up to date btw...

Also, is there any free antivirus software that is more compatible with OBS in general which I should try out?

Harold

It'd be worth it do the chipset driver update, but it would likely also be worth it to just use windows defender as your antivirus and completely remove avira.

Der Fleischmann

@Harold I guess that did it! I recorded the valley benchmark for 3 hours straight, switched scenes and scene sets in between and there was no crash at all! Thanks again for your time and help, Harold! If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know! ;-)

Cheers from germany!

Der Fleischmann

So, I guess I am not over the mountain yet. I switched the scene today to change some stuff and left OBS idle for a few minutes, because I left the desk for a while. Came back and OBS was closed. No warning window or anything. Checked the log and read this:

Code:
13:58:09.911: User switched to scene 'Gaming STANDART'
13:58:23.630: User switched to scene 'Gaming CLEAN'
13:59:45.320: adding 320 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 384 milliseconds
13:59:45.321: adding 64 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 448 milliseconds
13:59:45.323: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 469 milliseconds
13:59:45.324: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 490 milliseconds
13:59:45.324: adding 42 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 533 milliseconds
13:59:45.325: adding 85 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 618 milliseconds
13:59:45.325: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 640 milliseconds
13:59:45.325: adding 42 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 682 milliseconds
13:59:45.325: adding 42 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 725 milliseconds
13:59:45.325: adding 128 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 853 milliseconds
13:59:45.326: Max audio buffering reached!
13:59:45.326: adding 106 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 960 milliseconds

I guess, I will try to switch off both webcam mics in windows, because of the different sample rates and so on and will see If this fixes the problem. Still confused about this, but I guess OBS still adresses them, even though they are turned down, muted and hidden from the mixer list... I also might add, that the Elgato 4k60 Pro wasn't receiving any signal, because the gaming rig was turned off at that time. Might that result in a buffering problem too, If a capture card hasn't a specific state specified by the signal it receives?

Harold

It potentially could, and given how the elgato software has been in regards to 3rd party streaming/recording software, it wouldn't surprise me if it's causing some trouble.

You may also try disabling device timestamps in the advanced audio properties in obs.

Der Fleischmann

@Harold I hope I fixed it. There is a thread about vst plugins and crashes regarding the reaper plugins, which I also use. I used an audio limiter for the game audio of the elgato, in order to not blow my and my viewers ears out, when something loud happens ingame. Took it out and that was it. No crashes anymore. Now I am using the obs compressor to lower loud signals in some way, but it's not the same. Guess I have to feature request a limiter now... :-P

Thanks again for your help, I hope it is fixed now... :D

The vst thread: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/reaper-vst-2-x-plugin-crash-how-to-fix-it.82229/