OBS crashes on startup since most recent update

KimW

I just installed an update and after that, OBS crashes on startup. I'm not sure what version I was on before, probably quite an old one since I don't use OBS super frequently so probably hadn't updated in a while.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, makes no difference- the reinstall seemed to work fine, but it still won't open. It was working fine a few minutes ago, prior to the update (made a recording, all as normal).

Attached log is from most recent crash, post uninstall/reinstall. Any help or advice very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 2022-05-12 11-18-19.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 158

PaiSand

please post the crash report. Look in help menu to find how to upload it and copy the url in here.

Lawrence_SoCal

Recent OBS update made a significant change to the OBS-browser. So, some plug-ins may require an update to work

Also see threads referencing the not uncommon need to update video drivers

KimW

please post the crash report. Look in help menu to find how to upload it and copy the url in here.
The crash report is already attached to my original post. I cannot create a URL in OBS since I cannot open OBS - so I uploaded the report file as instructed in the pinned thread.

KimW

Recent OBS update made a significant change to the OBS-browser. So, some plug-ins may require an update to work

Also see threads referencing the not uncommon need to update video drivers
I've checked for updates to my video drivers and they are already on the most up to date versions - I've tried to find a thread regarding this to see if there's anything else I need to do (e.g. is there a specific driver that causes issues?), most of the threads I can find are talking about crashes when people try to record video, rather than just not being able to open the software at all, and just say to update which I've already checked. If you have a second, a link to any particular threads you think may be helpful would be very appreciated.

Or also, a list of the plugins I should be checking for update? I can't find a list of what plugins OBS uses, and when I try to search I get lists of plugins FOR OBS i.e. plugins to do additional functions with OBS. I haven't actively installed any of these, just OBS itself.

Suslik V

How it looks your crash? Any messages on the screen or the program's ".exe" file simply disappears from the task manager of the Windows?

PaiSand

The crash report is already attached to my original post. I cannot create a URL in OBS since I cannot open OBS - so I uploaded the report file as instructed in the pinned thread.
That's not a crash report, it's a log file.
The path to where the crash reports are stored is: C:\Users\(your user)\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\crashes

KimW

That's not a crash report, it's a log file.
The path to where the crash reports are stored is: C:\Users\(your user)\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\crashes
Apologies, I misunderstood Just attached below the crash report from the same time as the original log file in OP.

How it looks your crash? Any messages on the screen or the program's ".exe" file simply disappears from the task manager of the Windows?
Yes, I get an error dialogue - appears a couple of seconds after attempting to open the program:

=====
OBS had crashed!

Woops, OBS has crashed!
Would you like to copy the crash log to the clipboard? The crash log will still be saved to:
<path>

==========

Thanks both!

Attachments

• Crash 2022-05-12 11-18-22.txt
    41.1 KB · Views: 96

Suslik V

The crash log says that there is fault in the Intel's video driver (built-in GPU core).

1. Look for updates of the Intel's video driver for your CPU.
  2. If p.1 doesn't helps - you need to downgrade the driver to some of the previous versions (until it stops crashing for you).
  3. If p.2 fails too - you need to drop the usage of the QSV encoder in OBS. For this purpose make new folder on your PC and move the file obs_installation_folder\obs-plugins\64bit\obs-qsv11.dll to your newly created folder (this step ensures that OBS unable to find the QSV plugin and didn't make attempts to use faulty instructions from the driver).

If p.2 or p.3 is your case - consider to contact the Intel's technical support to report the issue.

KimW

Hello everyone, I never got round to trying Suslik's kind suggestions, but I just tried to open OBS and it actually worked just fine! I was excited, however, it said that another new OBS update was available (of course since I haven't opened it in months). I was apprehensive, but figured hey, if the issue is now fixed (I assumed Intel had updated their drivers and fixed the problem) then it probably won't break again.....

As soon as I installed the OBS update, the exact same issue started again.

I'm attaching a crash log, if someone with knowhow has a second could you tell me does this look like the same issue as before - if so I can try the steps in post #10.

Attachments

• Crash 2022-12-23 10-20-32.txt
    43.7 KB · Views: 20

KimW

Hello again! The issue is resolved by a change to my niche setup!!! Thanks very much for your help, this thread can now be closed/marked as solved if either of those are used here!

In case anyone is curious how we resolved it... this is my work PC, and it turned out when it was set up, one monitor was plugged in via HDMI and the other via VGA. The HDMI monitor was plugged into my NVIDIA card, whilst the VGA one, which to Windows is monitor 1, was using my Intel onboard graphics.

Anyway, I asked my husband to update the drivers for me etc as described above, to see if that fixed the issue. He immediately asked, why is it using Intel drivers at all, and realised it was because of the monitor setup above. We switched the second monitor to an HDMI too, using the NVIDIA graphics card, and now OBS runs fine!!

So it probably was still an intel driver bug, which just doesn't affect me now since I'm not using that card... though there's a small chance it was just the fact two different cards were being used and that caused OBS to say "What?" We don't know, but either way the issue is fixed. We suspect though that this probably explains why it was working fine and then not working and then working fine and then not working - probably something about doing an OBS update, or some other factor, caused OBS to switch which card it was trying to use/which monitor it was trying to load up on?