OBS constantly freezing video and not responding

Brammelaar

Hi all,

I have severe issues keeping me from streaming currently, hence trying to seek help here.

Two weeks ago I had a random single instance of freezing video. Music (via SE.Live) still played, but the stream instantly died and OBS didn't respond. The issue didn't come back after restarting OBS and neither on the next stream, but yesterday I got it so many times that streaming is now impossible.

What happens is usually during a scene (including camera) switch, that the video freezes and OBS doesn't respond anymore. Closing is the only option. It seems to trigger faster when I enable more video content.
Funny thing, it does not happen when I open OBS in SAFE MODE, making it seem like it has nothing to do with hardware. This is supported by that the stream worked before, without changing anything in the settings, scenes or profile. I also haven't installed any updates lately.

I use SE.Live and a bunch of plug-ins listed in the logs below.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, MSI GeForce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Last three logs:

PaiSand

If opening in safe mode solves the issue then the issue it's on a plugin / script you're using.
Simple remove it. Ask the plugin creator how to completely remove it.

Last edited:

Brammelaar

If opening in safe mode solves the issue then the issue it's on a plugin / script you're using.
Simple remove it. Ask the plugin creator how to completely remove it.
I had a look already as I saw the same. The logi removal didn't solve the issue. Advanced scene switcher neither. I will try the others as far as I can.

PaiSand

Remove all the plugins. Make OBS great again... I mean, make it work correctly and then add plugins as needed. Of course, you don't need 28863 plugins.
And stay far far away from streamelements plugin. If you have that installed, all the support must be provided by them.

Adalric

I've been noticing this issue as well. I only know of 3 plugins I've installed personally. Streamelements, Aitum and move. I have to do some testing, but I do notice that with SE uninstalled it's running a lot smoother.

Brammelaar

I figured out that when I remove the StreamElements plugin, then it seems to work smoothly. When it's installed it's very easy to crash. I will seek help through the SE support discord. If I find a solution or update, then I will update it here in case people experience the same.

Bummer tho.. I use the media feature as I am a music streamer. Doing that externally is gonna be more work.

Vladykus

I figured out that when I remove the StreamElements plugin, then it seems to work smoothly. When it's installed it's very easy to crash. I will seek help through the SE support discord. If I find a solution or update, then I will update it here in case people experience the same.

Bummer tho.. I use the media feature as I am a music streamer. Doing that externally is gonna be more work.
Hello, I am also facing this problem after updating SE to the last version, OBS freezing randomly while streaming or when I am trying to show/hide the scene. Maybe it's just a bug of the update, because I am facing this problem the first time. Hope to get more information how to figure it out, if you will have some information, please let me know.

Brammelaar

I've been in contact with SE technicians over the last days, and they recognize that "the newest OBS version is having some issues and is not fully compatible yet with our (meaning SE's) plugin".

They recomment to downgrade OBS to version 29.1.1 or 30.0.

Another option they gave was to start OBS and run it with SE.Live in "Stable mode". I haven't been able to try this yet.
I hope sharing this will help out other community members.
Obviously, uninstalling SE.Live is also a viable option, and the below additional issue makes me wonder how much of an influence SE.Live has on performance of OBS.

Additionally, I found another issue with SE.Live. While it's installed AND I am not at my setup (camera's attached etc.), then my OBS doesn't start up. A white screen will show up with docks, but OBS will not load, but crash instead.

Cheers, and happy streaming to all!

Vladykus

Obviously, uninstalling SE.Live is also a viable option, and the below additional issue makes me wonder how much of an influence SE.Live has on performance of OBS.
That's what we're talking about, simple update of the SE cause such a problems to the OBS core usage. I have also contacted StreamElements support within creating a Ticket, still have not received any answer how to solve the problem. I have installed aditional clean OBS and have copied all the plugins and stuff I have, now it works perfectly and has even smaller CPU usage for about 4-5%.

PaiSand

To fully uninstall SE plugin you have to use their unsinstaller, then go to %appdata%\obs-studio\ and manually remove all the remaining files they left there that are still active and interacting within OBS. After this, uninstall and reintall OBS.
Just in case, before you start all this, backup your profiles and scene collections.

Vladykus

To fully uninstall SE plugin you have to use their unsinstaller, then go to %appdata%\obs-studio\ and manually remove all the remaining files they left there that are still active and interacting within OBS. After this, uninstall and reintall OBS.
Just in case, before you start all this, backup your profiles and scene collections.
Thank you for advice mate!

Brammelaar

I've been trying to stream without the SE.Live plug-in, but it wasn't very successful. I have downgraded to the recommended older versionse of OBS (29.1.1), but still I could easily crash OBS.

However, I have found another alternative that is best for me. I thought I would share it with you as well.

All the docks (or at least the one I use) that StreamElements provides can be replaced by OBS itself, using custom docks. These are:
Media request (critical for me): https://obs.streamelements.com/mediarequest
Activity feed: https://yoink.streamelements.com/ac...&popout=true&theme=dark&withSetupWizard=false
Chat: Use regular chat dock from OBS

With this, leave out the SE.Live plugin, and live a happy life. If your dock was not in this list, try to open a pop-up window of it and copy the link. If the link is hidden, right click somewhere where it is empty and try to find it in another way.