OBS-Classic: How to make high quality local recordings

OBS Classic OBS-Classic: How to make high quality local recordings

TaylorMaidx

I have applied these settings and it has helped me out a ton! Now that I have done this, when I finish recording a video the file is much larger, ex. 10min vid is about 17GB now. Also while recording, I seem to be running at about 50k kb/s, does this seem right?

Last edited:
Could the OP please add the reason for "ultrafast" to the description in the "overview" tab please?

Changing x264 CPU Preset from Veryfast to Ultrafast results in significantly increased file size with no obvious increase in quality.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Severely lowered CPU usage, especially on older systems intersting.
You can of course use superfast or veryfast or slower presets if your system is capable enough to sustain it.

Boildown

Could the OP please add the reason for "ultrafast" to the description in the "overview" tab please?

Changing x264 CPU Preset from Veryfast to Ultrafast results in significantly increased file size with no obvious increase in quality.

Most people care about using as little CPU as possible, not saving hard drive space. Hard drive space is cheap, lagging a game out with poorer framerates than needed is expensive.

Ronni

So I see it says to set bit rate to 1000 but to my knowledge 3500 is the higher quality (More HD) so is there a reason for it to be set to 1000 or no?

Boildown

So I see it says to set bit rate to 1000 but to my knowledge 3500 is the higher quality (More HD) so is there a reason for it to be set to 1000 or no?

In context of this guide, no, as long as the buffer is set to 0, the 1000 could be any number and the result would be the same. By the same token, 3500 isn't better than 1000 either, because the setting is ignored, in context of this guide. So just don't worry about it.

If you're talking about live streaming and not local recording with a CRF value set, and the buffer set to non-zero, then 3500 is higher quality than 1000 but takes a higher upload speed to accomplish. And a higher download speed by every viewer.

Whenever I use this I always get a weird zoom effect on my moniter. but it never happens on my laptop, is this because I don't have the correct resolution? If you don't understand it basically means that OBS doesn't record my entire screen.

Fawful

I noticed that my local recordings of HD games looked all JPEGy so I tried these settings and the resulting file looked so pixellated like it had been converted for a Game Boy Advance. I literally went through and changed all these settings as listed, and I set x to 15 to be safe. What on Earth could've happened to achieve this result?
U1LHcSt.png

StBean

I've been tinkering with getting very high quality recordings (not streaming) with games which have very high fps(180 - 200). The settings using now give me really amazing quality with little drop in fps while recording. Although it may require a beefy pc, im using an 8700K based system.. but here are the settings I changed in the output recording tab:
Recording Format: mov
Audio Track: 1 selected
Encoder: x264
Rescale Output: disabled
Custom Muxer Settings: left blank
Rate Control: CRF @ 18
CPU Usage Preset : Ultrafast
Profile: main
Tune: film(not sure if this has significant effect)
Threads: 12
In the Video Settings:
Base Canvas Resolution: 2560x1440(my monitors native resolution)
Output(Scaled) Resolution: 2560x1440
Downscale Filter: Lanczon(Sharpening scaling, 32 samples) though im not downscaling so probably no effect
Integer FPS Value: 120

The end result is amazingly smooth yet file size a bit large. I use adobe media encoder to compress with little degradation with an 8:1 compression ratio end result mixed down to 60fps with a downscale to 1080p, so a 4.5 gig file after encoding is a little over 500MB or so. I think recording at a high fps value is somewhat like using a high sample rate which results in a smoother video in the end. After uploading to Youtube its further compressed and results in 151MB file. Just something you may want to try if you have a powerful cpu. I notice absolutely no stuttering while recording and cannot tell the difference if i wasnt recording. Here is the end result in youtube:
https://youtu.be/h7uI8GDWMH4

JacobdaWolf

I want my vids to be longer so if anyone could send me screenshots of what the settings are supposed to be I would highly appreciate it, i dont understand anything about it, I have a reqular Windows 8.1

migf1

Happy holidays everybody!

I have a few questions about setting up OBS to record for editing (I'm on version 20.1.3 windows 8.1 x64 btw).

That would mostly mean using a lossless code of the likes of huffyuv, lagareth and utvideo, but in my experience none of the original implementations is available through OBS, since the only alternative I'm getting for Standard recording type is the ffmepg range of codecs (unless I'm missing something). ffmpeg have their own implementations of huffyuv and utvideo, but for the name of dear God I can't find anywhere any docs explaining their command line options, so I can use them in OBS's "Video Encoder Options (if any)" field. Actually I cannot find docs for the options of the original implementations either! If anyone knows, I'd appreciate any poiners.

So I spent almost the whole day today trying to educate myself about H.264 lossless (libx264), only to find out that it (crf=0) always coverts to yuv4:4:4, which my editing software cannot handle (corel videostudio).

So I opted for the "Visually Lossless": preset=ultrafast crf=15
http://prntscr.com/m122j5

and, setting up OBS's Advanced tab to yuv420.790.full
http://prntscr.com/m1220b

This seems to work fine in my test runs wih 10sec clips recording just my desktop and hopefully it won't give me any issues when I'll do actual game-recording).

However, since I'm no expert (not even close) I'd like to ask if anyone sees anything awfully wrong in that setup. The goal here is to record really slow-pace games (of the likes of Opensim, and Secondlife) editing in corel videostudio (adding titles, overalys, effects, whatever), then do the final compression for uploading to social media (well ,to youtube mostly).

PS. Is there any way to force OBS to "see" other installed codecs besides the ones supported by ffmpeg?

Last edited:

Harold

709 full will have some major color quality issues with a lot of players. Don't use it.

Switch to simple output mode, indistinguishable recording quality, flv format.
And update to 22.0.2