OBS capped FPS of Game

RogerWalsh

Hi, I got myself a new 2018 Mac Mini (Mojave 10.14.6) and set up OBS to stream Starcraft 2. Playing the game, I had 200+ FPS, but once I did a test stream with OBS my in-game FPS stays at 60.
Now even when I play the game without OBS running it flickers between 59-60 FPS as if there was some sort of FPS cap or VSync permanently enabled.
Anyone else have a similar issue with a game?

bearcatjamboree

What is your monitor refresh rate? If it's 60Hz then you only need 60fps because that's all you see. VSync lowers FPS to match your refresh rate.

RogerWalsh

Hi there thanks for the comment. Yeah, I have an old Apple Cinema monitor that I am playing on and a second monitor that's 60hz, but the framerate at 200 was noticeably different than 60 even with the refresh rate. What's odd to me is when OBS is closed the FPS is still locked at 60 on the game.

bearcatjamboree

I’m not sure how it’s possible that you could see a difference if your monitor can only show 60fps. Anyway, try rebooting and see if that helps.

techlogik

I have a 240hz monitor. The OBS software doesn't have any setting but 60fps in the dropdown, and I'm running Windows??? You can tell a difference on a higher refresh monitor doing 150fps for game capturing. The point is though, there is no option for higher fps in the software, does it even support above 60fps?