OBS Built-in sound indicator when going live or recording?

ItsYESfahad

Indicator examples:
1- Clear sound when pressing Start/Stop. "Optional can be toggled on/off"
2- Red dot icon on screen overlay "Won't be visible on your video or live stream", "Optional can be toggled on/off"

I am so surprised this is not a thing in OBS it's super useful, This is the only reason I don't use shortcuts for recording or going live anymore I don't trust it I don't want to spend 2 ~ 4 hours playing, and then find out that I wasn't recording! This happened to me a lot this should be a standard function.

Thank you OBS team . . . <3

ItsYESfahad

Few months later and nobody cares this is the most obvious feature that should have been implemented since day 1 obviously like back in 2012 lmao.

AaronD

You might use the Advanced Scene Switcher to do something outside of OBS:
1690492799099.png

If that's the only time that program ever runs, then you know the macro ran, and if that's the only thing that triggers the macro...

There's lots of other things that Adv. SS can do too. Poke around and see what you find. If you're okay with just a notification in the corner like all the other apps do, then Adv. SS can do that by itself.

Another common idea (for me anyway) is to have the macro do the action itself, that you're thinking of as a trigger. Trigger the macro by something else, that doesn't do anything except the macro, and then you can have it appear to respond *before* the thing that you presently want it to respond to. For the example here, you could put a dot on the screen or whatever the external program does, and *then* start recording, all from the same trigger...which is not OBS's native record button.

ItsYESfahad

You might use the Advanced Scene Switcher to do something outside of OBS:
View attachment 96202
If that's the only time that program ever runs, then you know the macro ran, and if that's the only thing that triggers the macro...

There's lots of other things that Adv. SS can do too. Poke around and see what you find. If you're okay with just a notification in the corner like all the other apps do, then Adv. SS can do that by itself.

Another common idea (for me anyway) is to have the macro do the action itself, that you're thinking of as a trigger. Trigger the macro by something else, that doesn't do anything except the macro, and then you can have it appear to respond *before* the thing that you presently want it to respond to. For the example here, you could put a dot on the screen or whatever the external program does, and *then* start recording, all from the same trigger...which is not OBS's native record button.
I appreciate the time and effort for making this post but man this makes it even worse does it have to be that complicated for a very important & simple function like this?

AaronD

I appreciate the time and effort for making this post but man this makes it even worse does it have to be that complicated for a very important & simple function like this?
It's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put into it to make it do what you want. The more serious you are, the more technical you'll be, and the more you'll manage it explicitly for your specific rig.

I have a couple of rigs myself that have their own external documentation just to keep everything straight. It's much easier to read the docs than to figure out all over again what <this weird collection of settings> is supposed to do. And every once in a while, I still verify that the docs and the settings match.

KillStorm

I agree with you, it's a problem when playing in full screen and VR.
What I did and which works quite well:
1. in OBS > File > Settings > HotKeys set the key Caps for Start Recording and Stop Recording. Now the CAPS LOCK light will turn on/off when you start/stop recording.
2. If you are in VR and you don't want to take off the headset just to see if the recording has started, go to Win 11 Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard > Toggle keys. Windows will play a sound every time you press the key