OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

dping

@dping right, that too. @Darker wait for your free copy of Win10 then try monitor capture ;)
TBH, in Win10 preview, Monitor cap is all that works for OBS1. The OBS MP I believe both are fine? cant recall.

its not that window/game cap dont work, its that it limits the fps in game, so somewhere under 55fps, which I find annoying in l4d2 where I typically get 280ish fps. but Monitor cap for Win10 in game, the fps are still at my max

Darker

Code:
Aero is Disabled
Using Monitor Capture

Seriously darker? I thought you knew better than do do screen cap. use game capture and reenable aero and see if that "fixes" your lag.

Hahaha, I am not that stupid! I just used monitor capture to see if it was even working, I cba starting a game just for a fast recording test. But what about Aero, should it not be disabled? I always use game capture when recording games, the difference in performance loss is huge between those two.

Also, IF my second GPU would do all the encoding, wouldnt that mean I could actually use monitor capture with zero FPS loss in my game?

Darker

TBH, in Win10 preview, Monitor cap is all that works for OBS1. The OBS MP I believe both are fine? cant recall.

its not that window/game cap dont work, its that it limits the fps in game, so somewhere under 55fps, which I find annoying in l4d2 where I typically get 280ish fps. but Monitor cap for Win10 in game, the fps are still at my max

Is this a good thing? :P

I remember you talked about Win 7 not supporting some feature that Win 8 supported. What was that and could it be worth upgrading to Win 8 for better performance? I will do anything (which doesnt involve buying a new 1000€ computer) if I can get more FPS!

jackun

Developer
@Darker game capture will shave off some fps probably anyway and Win7 monitor/desktop capture sucks either way. You can try the Win10 Tech preview if you want to see the difference in desktop capture.

dping

@Darker game capture will shave off some fps probably anyway and Win7 monitor/desktop capture sucks either way. You can try the Win10 Tech preview if you want to see the difference in desktop capture.
@Darker this. but just enable aero with win 7 and do game cap to get a baseline; see if you can live with it with your dual card setup.

insider.windows.com. that is where you signup (with your hotmail or live email) to get win10 preview. I will say that it works for me but I wouldn't do it for a solution as there are issues with 10tech preview still; atm, the updates are coming out a little slow, but I am alright with that as nothing to serious has been broken for me.

Secondly, not sure if/how win10 works with dual graphics and all that so I would wait if I were you.

Darker

@Darker this. but just enable aero with win 7 and do game cap to get a baseline; see if you can live with it with your dual card setup.

insider.windows.com. that is where you signup (with your hotmail or live email) to get win10 preview. I will say that it works for me but I wouldn't do it for a solution as there are issues with 10tech preview still; atm, the updates are coming out a little slow, but I am alright with that as nothing to serious has been broken for me.

Secondly, not sure if/how win10 works with dual graphics and all that so I would wait if I were you.

Hmm, okay. I might try Win10 preview anyway. Worst case is that I throw away some time. I am curious about why I should enable Aero. Isnt this the effect that makes windows in Windows transparent?

dping

Hmm, okay. I might try Win10 preview anyway. Worst case is that I throw away some time. I am curious about why I should enable Aero. Isnt this the effect that makes windows in Windows transparent?
yes but it does more than that.

Allane

Okay, I got over the whole Frame Skip thing, but I'm still having issues. I've been using the Preview function to get a read on how the bitrate fluctuates in various games, but recently, the VCE encoder will crash and stay dead if a fullscreen application starts up while the preview is still going. Sometimes merely switching windows will cause it. OBS crashes along with the encoder. Closing and re-opening OBS will not allow me to preview the stream using the VCE encoder again, it simply crashes, and produces nothing in the logs most of the time.

Attached is the crash dump that OBS has given me, along with a log that shows my settings as well as an additional error.

From what I understand, that error code (at the very end of the log) can mean a wide variety of things from bad drivers to a bad video card. From what I'm able to guess, it seems the manufacturer of my card, HIS, gave no thought to the VCE encoder portion of the video card, and it causes the driver to crash whenever I try to use it.

Running Windows 8.1 with an HIS R9 285. Latest VCE OBS build to date, 32-bit.

Edit: Did some further monkeying around. Using the Constrained QP setting, I can't get VCE to crash, but when I duplicated a stable Constrained QP settings profile, and changed it to CBR and set a CBR target, it started to crash again. Perhaps it's related to the CBR implementation?

Attachments

• OBSCrashDump2015-03-20_5.dmp
    407.5 KB · Views: 17
  • OBSCrashLog2015-03-20_5.txt
    2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2015-03-19-2053-01.log
    10.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

jackun

Developer
@Allane looks like you're having some weird driver/hw issues. Can you check your gpu clocks and temps?

20:53:27: Failed to submit input buffer multiple times already. VCE is probably too slow for current settings.

Error: Texture->Map failed: 0x887a0005 0x887a0007
Google for 0x887a0005 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED).

Performer

Will this branch ever find it's way into the main OBS? Like seriously: I can stream 60 FPS butterly smooth with it and most people probably don't know about this yet.
With x264 I can barely stream 40 FPS.

I really hope more people will find it. GREAT GREAT WORK. If you weren't around my stream quality and ingame FPS were much worse. :)

jackun

Developer
Well, I thought about merging again so the "official statusness" would help with the anti-cheat programs maybe. But cleaning it up to presentable form might take some time.

dping

Well, I thought about merging again so the "official statusness" would help with the anti-cheat programs maybe. But cleaning it up to presentable form might take some time.
Well will you still require VC++ once it is merged? I know OBS MP requires this anyway but in OBS1 most users wont want to install this just to get VCE working...
yeah, I think that you might would need to have a capable hardware list and query the primary video selected in the video tab.

I would almost leave the VCE encoder enabled for all and when pressed, it does a query for the primary GPU, and does a popup like,
"VCE 1.0 GPU detected as primary video adapter!"
"VCE 2.0 GPU detected as primary video adapter!"
"VCE 3.0 GPU detected as primary video adapter!" (for future r9 3xx and r9 285)
"No VCE capable card detected as the Primary Video Adapter. please be sure an AMD GPU is selected under the video tab and that is is compatible with VCE"

Allane

@Allane looks like you're having some weird driver/hw issues. Can you check your gpu clocks and temps?

Google for 0x887a0005 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED).

The GPU is running at factory clock and voltage, and never gets above 59C, so it's far from a temperature problem. I'm convinced it's the driver being in conflict; the curious thing is that ONLY CBR causes the driver to crash. Peak Constrained VBR behaves unusually like CBR and has small enough bitrate deviation that Twitch doesn't downgrade my stream from "Excellent" quality.

As for the error code, from my research, the drivers crashing causes Windows to think that the video card was removed. I don't know why the VCE encoder never recovers from the crash, but it's probably not something you can fix.

Thanks for the help though.

dping

The GPU is running at factory clock and voltage, and never gets above 59C, so it's far from a temperature problem. I'm convinced it's the driver being in conflict; the curious thing is that ONLY CBR causes the driver to crash. Peak Constrained VBR behaves unusually like CBR and has small enough bitrate deviation that Twitch doesn't downgrade my stream from "Excellent" quality.

As for the error code, from my research, the drivers crashing causes Windows to think that the video card was removed. I don't know why the VCE encoder never recovers from the crash, but it's probably not something you can fix.

Thanks for the help though.
have you tried "Host" instead of "DX11" with CBR? not that it should make a difference, I just want to see if it changes anything

@jackun, remember hes got a 285 to which I haven't seen many of, if any around here. It could be something to do with his card being the newest gen...

I'm getting some freezing problems with my AMD 7870 xfx, I'm recording and streaming at the same time. Everything is smooth, until about 10 minutes and I get this message "Your graphics card dissapeared from the system, this error can also occur if you have opencl enabled..."

I tried upping my my clocking to Memory - 1200HMz GPU - 1000MHz, I think it helped a little, but still freezing.

dping

I'm getting some freezing problems with my AMD 7870 xfx, I'm recording and streaming at the same time. Everything is smooth, until about 10 minutes and I get this message "Your graphics card dissapeared from the system, this error can also occur if you have opencl enabled..."

I tried upping my my clocking to Memory - 1200HMz GPU - 1000MHz, I think it helped a little, but still freezing.
your GPU core clock should be 1000 and your 1200 by default so setting to those clocks is just making sure CCC doesn't overlclock. could you check to make sure that you dont have a few programs?
under control panel, programs and features, do you have: MSI Afterburner, and/or raptr (aka gaming evolved). lets just start with those