OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

jackun

Developer
could this be why my VCE on OBS keeps on crashing? I tried to use CBR and VCE keeps on trying to go beyond the VCE?
I think i fixed some crashing with Media Foundation codec, but the current OBS/MF logics don't mesh so nicely yet and has some sync issues. Encoder sometimes outputs 0 frames and OBS kinda treats it as dropped frame(?) and then audio keeps getting "left behind" (wording >_>).

quickshot101

I think i fixed some crashing with Media Foundation codec, but the current OBS/MF logics don't mesh so nicely yet and has some sync issues. Encoder sometimes outputs 0 frames and OBS kinda treats it as dropped frame(?) and then audio keeps getting "left behind" (wording >_>).

Any idea on a update? Would love a version with working cbr that doesn't spike ^_^

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
New "VCE settings" dialog applies only to OpenVideo API, not MF. Also OVE now sets h264 profile according to x264 profile in Advanced settings (X264Profile in ini file, also supports 'base' among 'high' and 'main' if you set it manually from ini).

E: Hm, low latency mode for MFT causes encoder to not accept input frames for some reason hence everything gets sped up.

Last edited:
Oh, I see some more advanced setting now :D I will test it later, but are you working on bitrate? This setting are similiar to what I see when I open VCE in DxTory so maybe there's a way to make it work just like in DxTory?

supamesican

Holy awesome! I was just in a thread on reddit asking if there was anything like this, didn't think there was but there is! I will be keeping watch on this and downloading it in a day or two to test it out on my 7950 + 2500k.

quickshot101

CBR still wont force a constant bitrate. Set to 3500, for the first 1min or so it was spiking up to 20k and after a few min was going as low at 1k. :(

Drugoli

I just downloaded this and decided to do some benchmarks. Dunno how many of these have been done before, haven't read all 12 pages :P.
I used the original Crysis (Assault Harbor benchmark) with very high settings and 2xAA at 1680x1050. I used OBS to both record & stream+record at 1680x1050@30FPS at a 4000 bitrate (haven't changed any of the VCE encoder settings). Results are the following, min, max and avg FPS:
  • Normal: 23,58; 78,23; 41,44
  • x264 (rec+stream): 23,42; 70,11; 37,95
  • VCE (rec+stream: 25,43; 76,98; 42,04
So as far as I can tell, there is a small improvement in FPS by using the AMD VCE encoder instead of the x264 one. I did notice that there were 28 dropped frames during my VCE test though. Although the VCE test gave better video quality in the beginning, it became a bit pixillated towards the end of the test. The x264 one did not do this, and looks better (sharper) towards the end, compared to the VCE one. This was using only a 2,5min test though, could change after a longer streaming session, which I'll try later.

Specs:
FX 8350 (4,4GHz OC)
R9 290 Tri-X
8GB Ram
Game running off of Samsung 840EVO, OBS off of OCZ Vertex 4

Last edited:
What is the bitrate of the 2 videos?
Would be nice if you could upload them.

Also, at 1680x1050 i doubt x264 at VeryFast would bottleneck your CPU ("8 core"?) which i think is quite capable with these kind of work.

So there shouldn't be any real difference in performance between the 2, or well x264 will use more performance, but it shouldn't hurt Crysis i guess, except if it actually uses A Lot of CPU, which is over 50% of your entire CPU (4 Core/Threads), which i doubt at that resolution, and especially that bitrate.

Drugoli

What is the bitrate of the 2 videos?
Would be nice if you could upload them.

Also, at 1680x1050 i doubt x264 at VeryFast would bottleneck your CPU ("8 core"?) which i think is quite capable with these kind of work.

So there shouldn't be any real difference in performance between the 2, or well x264 will use more performance, but it shouldn't hurt Crysis i guess, except if it actually uses A Lot of CPU, which is over 50% of your entire CPU (4 Core/Threads), which i doubt at that resolution, and especially that bitrate.
Sadly, I had deleted the files after I was done with them.
I just finished a full one hour stream though, with VCE, where I ended up having 170 something dropped frames. Settings were the same, 1680z1050@30FPS but this time with a bitrate of 5200.
The recorded file is 1.8GB, so what I've done instead of uploading it is find 4 random spots in the video, and taken some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/gRQ4K (I can give a link to the recorded stream on Twitch, ones that goes live)
This shows how sometimes the quality is amazing, and others it's not very good.
EDIT: the "blur" on the first picture is an in-game effect.

Last edited:
I tried the VCE build and I was getting very poor encoding performance with my 7870 2GB card, even on games that would encode fine on my Core 2 Duo such as The Binding of Isaac. It was dropping so many frames I couldn't use the footage.

I was doing a local recording BTW at 1280x720@30fps 30000kbps video, 320kbps 48khz AAC, not streaming. Does anyone have any insight why it would be so bad? Maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported with the build

jackun

Developer
I tried the VCE build and I was getting very poor encoding performance with my 7870 2GB card, even on games that would encode fine on my Core 2 Duo such as The Binding of Isaac. It was dropping so many frames I couldn't use the footage.

I was doing a local recording BTW at 1280x720@30fps 30000kbps video, 320kbps 48khz AAC, not streaming. Does anyone have any insight why it would be so bad? Maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported with the build

That is weird. You can upload OBS log here (%appdata%\OBS\logs). Make sure the log timestamp matches recording time ofcourse.

E: What is your catalyst version?

Last edited:

Fawkes

hey i had the same issue in battlefield3, but i fixed it by making sure that OBS uses only 2 (out of 4) cores.
bf3 uses all 4 but this seemed to work for me.
create a obs shortcut and put this in Target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "OBS" /normal /affinity 3 "path/to/your/OBS.exe
that did it for me,
the settings i use are 1280x720@25fps 2800kbps lanczos filtering, 112kbps 48khz aac, streaming to twitch.tv
i have a q6600 @ 3.4ghz and a 1gb 7850, ingame i dont get below 45fps (caspian border map)
(if i use 1 core my obs goes crazy, i think your c2d is not going to cut it. you'll probaly need a 3+ core cpu for this to work fluently on most games)

Last edited:
Sadly, I had deleted the files after I was done with them.
I just finished a full one hour stream though, with VCE, where I ended up having 170 something dropped frames. Settings were the same, 1680z1050@30FPS but this time with a bitrate of 5200.
The recorded file is 1.8GB, so what I've done instead of uploading it is find 4 random spots in the video, and taken some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/gRQ4K (I can give a link to the recorded stream on Twitch, ones that goes live)
This shows how sometimes the quality is amazing, and others it's not very good.
EDIT: the "blur" on the first picture is an in-game effect.

That's really a difference.
What card do you have?
Interested in if you are using VCE 1.0 or VCE 2.0.

As even with 3-5mbps, that kind of blockiness is "unworthy" of h264, it should be able to, hide them better.

That is weird. You can upload OBS log here (%appdata%\OBS\logs). Make sure the log timestamp matches recording time ofcourse.

E: What is your catalyst version?
log: http://pastebin.com/AEDVGsbv
catalyst version: 14.4

The main thing I saw in the log was "01:10:04: Number of frames skipped due to encoder lag: 9991 (51.63%)" which was when I tried to record XCOM Enemy Within. When I tried to record The Binding of Isaac, it said "05:19:04: Number of frames skipped due to encoder lag: 18168 (11.12%)"

And by the way, I expected it to skip frames on XCOM but it normally skipped maybe 10%, not the 51.63% like when I tried VCE. It normally doesn't skip any frames for Isaac

hey i had the same issue in battlefield3, but i fixed it by making sure that OBS uses only 2 (out of 4) cores.
bf3 uses all 4 but this seemed to work for me.
create a obs shortcut and put this in Target: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "OBS" /normal /affinity 3 "path/to/your/OBS.exe
that did it for me,
the settings i use are 1280x720@25fps 2800kbps lanczos filtering, 112kbps 48khz aac, streaming to twitch.tv
i have a q6600 @ 3.4ghz and a 1gb 7850, ingame i dont get below 45fps (caspian border map)
(if i use 1 core my obs goes crazy, i think your c2d is not going to cut it. you'll probaly need a 3+ core cpu for this to work fluently on most games)

Its weird because if I allow the CPU to do the encoding I get better performance, althought I just noticed my x264 preset is set to veryfast when I usually require it to be on superfast or ultrafast to do any 3D game. Does x264 preset apply when using VCE?

vbdkv

Its weird because if I allow the CPU to do the encoding I get better performance, althought I just noticed my x264 preset is set to veryfast when I usually require it to be on superfast or ultrafast to do any 3D game. Does x264 preset apply when using VCE?
Quite the opposite for me. I can record 1080p @ 60 fps without a drop in performance when VCE is enabled. No way I could do that with software without some sort of performance penalty.