OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

seronx

I know QuickSync loses more and more the higher bitrate, i think it loses extremely fast at like 12mbps or something like that.
http://www.tetrachromesoftware.com/q264Test1Analysis/q264test_5.html

It seems the curve only effects 1080p. For NVENC, QuickSync, VCE the subjective quality increases as the bitrate increases. While for x264 the subjective quality increases as the presets go slower.
I read the article but there was only 2 modes, Full = Only dedicated hardware encoder,
Hybrid = Let the GPU do calculations that's fitted for it.

What does Entropy mode do?
Entropy mode = Hybrid mode.
In VCE Entropy/Hybrid mode, the VCE unit handles Entropy and the GPU handles the rest.

It seems the curve only effects 1080p. For NVENC, QuickSync, VCE the subjective quality increases as the bitrate increases. While for x264 the subjective quality increases as the presets go slower.

This is only for QuickSync (in that test), which pretty much states, at 10mbps it will lose efficiency compared to x264 VeryFast and SuperFast, this is very bad for me, but for most people streaming broadcasts it won't actually matter as they don't use that much bitrate.

lower resolution does indeed seem so suffer a lot less, i guess the calculation can be something like, 1080p /720p and that percantage difference can be added to bitrate, so 720p would probably be good until 18mbps.

Entropy mode = Hybrid mode.
In VCE Entropy/Hybrid mode, the VCE unit handles Entropy and the GPU handles the rest.

Noticed that was probably the case after posting and reading it again;P

But so the this mode doesn't work?
That's too bad, would be interesting to see the performance.

And also, that at least should remove the GPU unit being the issue in the Mantle Stress Test, as it doesn't use that part.
I guess it can be an PCI-E limitation, but i somehow doubt it, as you pretty much never use it to it's full extent, never the less with PCI-E 3.0 (not sure if that's supported with R9 though, but i guess so as Nvidia seems to support it).

ShamisOMally

Just dropping in my two cents here.

I know in the industry that AMD VCE is the best in the business, QuickSync being second, and Nvidia NVENC being a distant distant third, but AMD VCE looks phenomenally better than QuickSync for the same bitrate settings, its like night and day.

However, I feel there could still be some improvements to the settings of the codec

HMxk97m.png

Biggest quality increases I saw was being able to set Search Range which causes a huge spike in quality, even if I manually set the codec to 3000kbit like I do my streams

Also in terms of the beta OBS, the 32 bit version will not run on my 64 bit system, only the 64 bit will work

Also in the OP it says "Set CRF" but I can't find it anywhere in the settings

*EDIT* Found out how to do the options, its crf=10 in custom settings

Also I have found that I am using my CPU about 5% less with this than with Quick Sync, and the quality of this is much higher to boot

Also, don't try streaming State of Decay, game is a bitrate nightmare, only looks good if you crank it past the 6000kbit barrier

Last edited:

RifleEyez

Hey jackun! Just wanna say fantastic work on this, you have enabled me to record @ 1080p with basically 0 frame drop.

I have one question though and I'm quite new to OBS so a majority of the stuff in this thread is like foreign language to me. What would be the best possible settings for me to record gameplay (not streaming) so I don't get pixellated/blocky trees/grass when moving on DayZ? I'm currently using the 32bit download (my OS is win 7 64bit though)

Encoding : Use CBR, Use CBR padding, Max Bitrate 55000-65000 (between them). ''Use Open CL FOR NV12'' checked and the ''Use VCE MFT filter instead'' unchecked.
Advanced : Use CFR

Is there any other settings I can turn on/tweak for best possible quality considering I'm just using it local record? My card is the 2gb 7850 and i've tested around 70,000 kbps and it's fine.

Also, once I render I notice I get more pixellation. I've tried rendering as Mainconcept/Sony .mp4 with a 14mbps bitrate and it's even more blocky/pixelated in the trees/grass. .wmv is much better, however the file sizes are huge. Any advice on that? Or anyone else whos used it to local record for YouTube?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
Encoding : Use CBR, Use CBR padding, Max Bitrate 55000-65000 (between them). ''Use Open CL FOR NV12'' checked and the ''Use VCE MFT filter instead'' unchecked.
Advanced : Use CFR

You can try unchecking 'Use CBR' and use quality set to 7 (QP 23) or higher (10 is QP 15, current formula should be 40 - (quality * 5) / 2).
Also using OpenCL for colorspace conversion, it may cause OBS to report more 'encoder is slow' warnings because I'm doing it right before encoding. So with too many drops at 1080p you may try disabling it if your cpu is beefy enough.

Also, once I render I notice I get more pixellation. I've tried rendering as Mainconcept/Sony .mp4 with a 14mbps bitrate and it's even more blocky/pixelated in the trees/grass. .wmv is much better, however the file sizes are huge.

Well, you can render at higher bitrate and use x264/HandBrake to then do 2-pass encode.

RifleEyez

You can try unchecking 'Use CBR' and use quality set to 7 (QP 23) or higher (10 is QP 15, current formula should be 40 - (quality * 5) / 2).
Also using OpenCL for colorspace conversion, it may cause OBS to report more 'encoder is slow' warnings because I'm doing it right before encoding. So with too many drops at 1080p you may try disabling it if your cpu is beefy enough.

Well, you can render at higher bitrate and use x264/HandBrake to then do 2-pass encode.

Hey jackun. Well, I changed the first setting and I tried 7 8 9 10. 10 got the error message at 10, so I checked ''Use CBR'' again and reverted back to good quality bitrate @ 65000. Now i'm getting the red 'encode is slow' warnings? How come? I was using 65000 perfectly fine for about the past 3-4 days.

ShamisOMally,

Wait a minute, i was pretty sure the case was.

QuickSync = worst
Nvidia = Best (this without counting in AMD VCE).

That's the response i got when asking about quality comparison to x264 SuperFast.
They said, QuickSync is worse than SuperFast (or the same), Nvidia is better.

Now you are saying AMD is better then Nvidia (This is all good for me), but QuickSync is also better than Nvidia?

I must say i am confused about this:S

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
For QuickSync you always have to mention which generation it is. The newest Haswell gen is definitely not bad, but it has a few problems which keep me from using it for streaming.
Now, I do not have enough experience with VCE yet to say anything about it, but from what I have seen nvenc is definitely behind QS atm, on streaming bitrates. To me personally its not that interesting if a high quality recording needs 20,30 or 40mbps to look good. I just give it what it needs :D So in this case, any encoder works great!

Well i meant newest.
Seems i had the wrong impression if Nvidia is worse, this is actually good, as i don't use Nvidia currently, and my upgrade will be AMD most likely (for Mantle), and CPU will be Quicksync.

Still i must say, 20-30mbps is Not enough to make a crappy encoder look great, it makes a huge difference sure.
But there is stuff you can't do even when you have 30-60mbps if the encoder is crap (or SuperFast preset in x264).

But indeed for streaming, pure efficiency is all that's needed. I can go a bit more as i have bandwidth to waste, but it's not like i Want to waste it for fun.

laistrogian

So far, the VCE acts weird on me, i tried numerous time to stream on 720P 30fps with 3K bitrate, everything would be fine until when the streaming hits around 20-30 minutes where the OBS would crash out of no where.

I know some people are actually able to record/stream for 2 hours or so and i'm just curious what could be my problem with the encoder

ShamisOMally

ShamisOMally,

Wait a minute, i was pretty sure the case was.

QuickSync = worst
Nvidia = Best (this without counting in AMD VCE).

That's the response i got when asking about quality comparison to x264 SuperFast.
They said, QuickSync is worse than SuperFast (or the same), Nvidia is better.

Now you are saying AMD is better then Nvidia (This is all good for me), but QuickSync is also better than Nvidia?

I must say i am confused about this:S

Nvidia does perform worse yes, Haswell Quicksync is actually leagues better than Sandy/Ivy bridge quicksync, the upside is NVENC is like 2x faster than even Ivy Bridge Quick Sync (Haswell is the slowest)

Still doesn't hold a candle to AMD VCE, but AMD VCE is god damn SLOOOOOOOOOW in comparison to quick sync, Quick Sync can do 1080p at like 6x its framerate, AMD VCE can only do it at like 4x its framerate

So far, the VCE acts weird on me, i tried numerous time to stream on 720P 30fps with 3K bitrate, everything would be fine until when the streaming hits around 20-30 minutes where the OBS would crash out of no where.

I know some people are actually able to record/stream for 2 hours or so and i'm just curious what could be my problem with the encoder

It worked great for me the first night, but the second night I tried to use it I was getting a billion dropped frames, so I had to go back to quick sync

Still doesn't hold a candle to AMD VCE, but AMD VCE is god damn SLOOOOOOOOOW in comparison to quick sync, Quick Sync can do 1080p at like 6x its framerate, AMD VCE can only do it at like 4x its framerate

I wouldn't call that Slow, 4x 1080p (i am guessing at 30fps?) is extremely fast, as long as the quality is comparable to x264 Very Fast (or better).

I don't really see any reason for more power in this certain use (in this situation, as you don't want more fps than 60fps, and you rarely use higher resolutions, except myself use 1920x1200).

But that being said, more power is definitely not a bad thing, it's the reverse of course:)

Btw, which VCR are you talking about, 1.0 or 2.0?

marineuac

Alien walk on surface
Hi All,

When aliens are walking on the surface,their legs going to down .....

what the problem????

kindly help me.....

Last edited:

vbdkv

awesome, i can stream @ 60fps, 1920x1080 with no ingame lag or dropped frames on my r9 270. before i could even barely touch 720p @ 30fps. i set the x264 preset to the slowest @ 3500kbps CBR to achieve the following below:
http://www.twitch.tv/newerestbeastasnig/b/536594560

i'm concerned about streaming online gameplay though. stuff like punkbuster, vac, battleeye are picky about this sort of stuff. anyone can share insight into this?
I've streamed Battlefield 3 (Punkbuster), Team Fortress 2 (VAC) and DayZ mod (Battleye) for months with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

marineuac

Alien walk on surface
Hi All,

When aliens are walking on the surface,their legs going to down .....

what the problem????

kindly help me.....

Last edited:

vbdkv

Yeah as previously mentioned in the thread, I wouldn't use it for streaming at all in it's current state. It's great for local recording however.

jackun

Developer
Yeah as previously mentioned in the thread, I wouldn't use it for streaming at all in it's current state. It's great for local recording however.
Yep, VCE doesn't stick to max bitrate at all. But could be some GOP size/fps issue.