OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

dping

Just so you are aware: Raptr had to issue an update to fix the VCE issue, and Mirrilis is working on an update to Action! to fix the issue. So it is a real issue and AMD did change something. If you say OBS VCE is fine, I believe you, but just letting you know they for sure did change something that broke it in every single other program.
Yeah, sorry to hear that. I heard about bandicam being broken via other sources so I know what you mean. I believe a lot of those other programs use OVE if I'm not mistaken? @jackun?

OBS locked up my computer when trying to preview an AverMedia scene. All scene's are now disappeard and all the scenes.xconfig files are corrupted. All global sources ERASED. GREAT!! 2 year old bug never solved.

dping

OBS locked up my computer when trying to preview an AverMedia scene. All scene's are now disappeard and all the scenes.xconfig files are corrupted. All global sources ERASED. GREAT!! 2 year old bug never solved.
After you recreate the files, maybe it would be best to back them up. %appdata%\OBS

Kobata

log line: "Failed to submit input buffer multiple times already. VCE is probably too slow for current settings."
and output frames goes down. Then return to normal after a few seconds.

It's normaly or what can I do? :(

R9-285 1280x720p@60. My VCE settings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80836022/vce_balanced.JPG

I don't think that this is too much for this card.
With the 285 I've seen a bunch of issues where it seems like AMF just doesn't like the input somehow so it ends up being really slow depending on the mode (host/DX9/DX11 -- DX11 seems to work fastest but is also somewhat the most unstable) and how you're capturing the video -- DX9 games in game capture were particularly bad in my experience.

Rogan

Anyone's OBS just close after the 15.7 AMD driver update? This is happening on both 32/64 versions. It's a right ball ache to roll back amd drivers so was wondering if there is a fix for this atm? If not I'll go for a roll back!

Edit: Apologies, I should of read the thread properly instead of just skimming. I'll go back to 15.6 tonight :)

Last edited:

q-ball

So I've signed up for an account here because this whole VCE thing has become maddening to me. I've poured over this 100 page post to try and make some sense of this feature and its use, but to no avail. I'm hoping you all can help me with my twitch situation.

I've got a 7850 with the 15.6 beta drivers installed, windows 8.1 and am trying to use VCE to lighten the load on my OBS encoding for twitch streams. I've installed/setup everything that i can think of including visual studio runtime libs and sdk's from AMD, but every time I attempt to use the AMD VCE encoder I receive the following:

Encoder Initialization failed!

I'm not certain why or where my error lies, but it seems to be exceedingly difficult to get the video card to acknowledge it has this feature available. Can anyone help me with a place to start error checking? I've found no logs in OBS's directory, I'm using the OBS VCE branch (latest download on the root post) and so far just can't seem to get a log output from it at all. :(

dping

So I've signed up for an account here because this whole VCE thing has become maddening to me. I've poured over this 100 page post to try and make some sense of this feature and its use, but to no avail. I'm hoping you all can help me with my twitch situation.

I've got a 7850 with the 15.6 beta drivers installed, windows 8.1 and am trying to use VCE to lighten the load on my OBS encoding for twitch streams. I've installed/setup everything that i can think of including visual studio runtime libs and sdk's from AMD, but every time I attempt to use the AMD VCE encoder I receive the following:

Encoder Initialization failed!

I'm not certain why or where my error lies, but it seems to be exceedingly difficult to get the video card to acknowledge it has this feature available. Can anyone help me with a place to start error checking? I've found no logs in OBS's directory, I'm using the OBS VCE branch (latest download on the root post) and so far just can't seem to get a log output from it at all. :(
post a logfile and a screen shot of your VCE settings and video tab.

HorCsa

With the 285 I've seen a bunch of issues where it seems like AMF just doesn't like the input somehow so it ends up being really slow depending on the mode (host/DX9/DX11 -- DX11 seems to work fastest but is also somewhat the most unstable) and how you're capturing the video -- DX9 games in game capture were particularly bad in my experience.
pls not again...

With game, without game, only webcam, only one picture... same error.

Another streamer programs working fine, but i need lot of feature from OBS.
No problem, I look forward to the next update and hope. :)

...or
can i use my old card for encoding? Playing a game in R9-285 and encoding with HD7770. It's possible?

Last edited:

q-ball

post a logfile and a screen shot of your VCE settings and video tab.
Here you go:

15:10:19: Rate control method: 3
15:10:19: Frame rate: 30
15:10:19: Device 0 Topology : PCI[B#1, D#0, F#0] : TopoID: 0x010000
15:10:19: Using device 0 (Pitcairn)
15:10:19: Using D3D10 interop
15:10:19: **** CAPS ****
15:10:19: * Bitrate Max: 100000000 Min: 0
15:10:19: * Picture size Max: 14400 Min: 16 (Macroblocks (width/16) * (height/16))
15:10:19: * Profiles:
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 10
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 11
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 12
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 13
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 20
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 21
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 22
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 30
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 31
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 32
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 40
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 41
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 42
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 50
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 51
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 10
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 11
15:10:19: * Prof: 100 Level: 12
15:10:19: * Prof: 66 Level: 13
15:10:19: * Prof: 77 Level: 20
15:10:19: OVEncodeSendConfig returned error
15:10:19: Couldn't initialize encoder
15:10:19: =====Stream End: 2015-07-19, 15:10:19=================================================​

Thats all the log window is showing.

Here's a screencap of the settings. I'm not using any custom parameters on the VCE encoding.
VCE Encoder screen - https://www.dropbox.com/s/11fmk4l1dyrucw7/2015-07-19_15-14-30.png
Video settings screen - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18218613/2015-07-19_15-36-26.png

Again, this is with the 15.6 beta catalyst drivers installed and I do also have Raptr installed, but raptr seems to be a complete waste of time also.

Last edited:

q-ball

Based on the logfile, it seems that you are attempting to use OVE (both options unchecked or "Use OpenCL for NV12 conversion).

Make sure just AMF is checked and restart OBS.

Ok enabled both of those... i did notice that my video settings are not downscaled..... another friend of mine on a gaming forum suggested the downscale should be set... any ideas on that?
---------------------------------------------------------
So it looks like the 2 options being unchecked or checked didn't have an effect. However my friends suggestion that downscaling maybe the problem apparently turned out to be the case. When I enabled downscaling the VCE started to work properly and had a max of only about 10% CPU for a quick stream in BF4.

Why would downscaling be required to make this function?

Last edited:

dping

Ok enabled both of those... i did notice that my video settings are not downscaled..... another friend of mine on a gaming forum suggested the downscale should be set... any ideas on that?
---------------------------------------------------------
So it looks like the 2 options being unchecked or checked didn't have an effect. However my friends suggestion that downscaling maybe the problem apparently turned out to be the case. When I enabled downscaling the VCE started to work properly and had a max of only about 10% CPU for a quick stream in BF4.

Why would downscaling be required to make this function?
1080@60fps needs to use the balanced or speed preset, which should not be used for streaming due to the bitrate requirements anyway.
Anything lower can be quality preset. I occasionally find that the balanced preset is needed for 720@60 and 1080@30 depending on the game (if its heavy on the GPU).

Dont check both options. Just check AMF, which is the only thing that works in the lastest drivers/build anyway. Its also the newest.

q-ball

1080@60fps needs to use the balanced or speed preset, which should not be used for streaming due to the bitrate requirements anyway.
Anything lower can be quality preset. I occasionally find that the balanced preset is needed for 720@60 and 1080@30 depending on the game (if its heavy on the GPU).

Dont check both options. Just check AMF, which is the only thing that works in the lastest drivers/build anyway. Its also the newest.

Thank you very much for your help Dping! Really appreciate the assistance. I've changed the settings per your recommendation, its not too bad. I notice though that the quality on high seems to sometimes wig out. However the CPU utilization is night-and-day different from h.264. Do extra cores help with the h.264 encoding at all?

dping

Thank you very much for your help Dping! Really appreciate the assistance. I've changed the settings per your recommendation, its not too bad. I notice though that the quality on high seems to sometimes wig out. However the CPU utilization is night-and-day different from h.264. Do extra cores help with the h.264 encoding at all?
More cores, more threads and GHz

sneaky4oe

On my new Sapphire R9 390x I get an error while trying to record with opencl:
8aab0bed8d93.png

"Use AMD AMF..." is unticked. In AMD VCE ENCODER it doesn't matter if "Use custom parameters" is ticked or unticked.
How do I solve this?

Was unable to record a video in VSR 3200*1600 with VCE.

BTW maybe just make 2 radiobuttons - AMD OpenCL and AMD VCE instead of those ticks? It's not obvious what they mean.

jackun

Developer
@q-ball You're trying to encode at 1920x1200 while Pitcairn max is 1920x1080 (well, 1088 because multiple of 16px).
@sneaky4oe If you're using Cat 15.7 then as has been said before non-AMF version doesn't work any more.

Sepay

I see you've improved amd vce, it runs much better now.
I was wondering, about GOP size and IDR period, what are absolute max on these parameters, streaming at 48 fps. Thanks.

dping

I see you've improved amd vce, it runs much better now.
I was wondering, about GOP size and IDR period, what are absolute max on these parameters, streaming at 48 fps. Thanks.
you'd want 96 for both, but max for either should be 250 since its based on h264's keyint