OBS Audio Issues (PLEASE HELP!!!)

Alice666

Hi, I'm trying to record gameplay but the audio is always weird. Sometimes it will sound fine for a few seconds, and then it will warp/ go high pitch/ get distorted (Not sure how to describe it) and I can't fix it. Also, the audio suddenly pops/ blips out for a microsecond. I tried 48khz, 44.1khz, 5.1 audio, 7.1 audio, etc. This happens on both, the PS3 and PS5 console. Strangely, audio seems to be perfectly fine on the Xbox 360 and PC

Also, I want to hear the game from the canvas window (Canvas/ fullscreen) but if I set the audio output on the video capture in properties, the audio won't record. I put the media in question here but in case it doesn't work, here's the video link: https://youtu.be/kFuze3r5Id0

OBS Log:

Attachments

• 2023-06-18 21-26-39.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 2023-06-18 21-26-39.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 15

AaronD

Having heard that, I did notice a pop at 5 seconds into your example, and a "warped vinyl record" sort of warble towards the end. What's your audio chain, from the game code itself to your recording? The more detail, the better.

Alice666

Having heard that, I did notice a pop at 5 seconds into your example, and a "warped vinyl record" sort of warble towards the end. What's your audio chain, from the game code itself to your recording? The more detail, the better.
Um, I don't know what an audio chain is. I just use obs, Elgato HD60 S+. In the Video Capture properties, Audio output mode is set to Capture Audio Only

AaronD

Um, I don't know what an audio chain is.
<This> feeds <that>, which feeds <this other thing>, which feeds <something else>, etc. And each thing does <something> to the signal. Trace all of that, and write down everything that the signal passes through, in order, and what each of those things does to the signal.

Some of those things are in software, possibly on the same machine: drivers, audio settings in both Windows and the game console, individual filters in OBS, etc. (that's out of order, by the way; I'll let you figure out the correct order)

I just use obs, Elgato HD60 S+. In the Video Capture properties, Audio output mode is set to Capture Audio Only
Good start. Continue filling it out.

---

Once you've drawn out the entire chain, see if you can listen to the signal at an intermediate point instead of the end. If that's okay, then the problem is after that point. If it's still bad, then the problem is before. Either way, you've eliminated half of the things you need to look at. Keep doing that until there's only one thing left, and that must be problem.

Alice666

<This> feeds <that>, which feeds <this other thing>, which feeds <something else>, etc. And each thing does <something> to the signal. Trace all of that, and write down everything that the signal passes through, in order, and what each of those things does to the signal.

Some of those things are in software, possibly on the same machine: drivers, audio settings in both Windows and the game console, individual filters in OBS, etc. (that's out of order, by the way; I'll let you figure out the correct order)

Good start. Continue filling it out.

---

Once you've drawn out the entire chain, see if you can listen to the signal at an intermediate point instead of the end. If that's okay, then the problem is after that point. If it's still bad, then the problem is before. Either way, you've eliminated half of the things you need to look at. Keep doing that until there's only one thing left, and that must be problem.
I genuinely don't know where to look. Sound only comes through Video Capture Device

Tomasz Góral

Set all audio device to one sample rate.

Watch:
21:26:42.609: sample rate: 44100
all other capture device is 48000
Set all source to one sample rate, yes is two diffrents setting (source and capture).

AaronD

I genuinely don't know where to look. Sound only comes through Video Capture Device
I think you need someone technical to look at your rig in person. Someone who *actually* knows how stuff *really* works, and not a salesperson who's going to give you a good-sounding pitch for their stuff, even if they believe it themselves.

I was the sound guy for a while, on a rig that was managed by someone else who was completely non-technical, and instead of asking the local expert, he would call his salesman friend. All 4 steps of that process lost their own big chunks of critical information: observation, telling the salesman, the salesman's answer, and the eventual action. So he spent the budget on a bunch of B.S., thinking he was doing right, and I had to work around that. I think the same is happening for you.