[OBS 29.1] Intermittent, Unreported FPS Drop With Some Apps (Mega Man Maker, melonDS…)

Jo Li KMC

Greetings. I am having a problem with the most recent versions of OBS Studio that I can't figure out. For some reason, my encoded randomly goes from 60 FPS to 30 FPS for a while. But the thing is, while steaming or recording, OBS Studio does not report any errors. There's no "encoder can't keep up" warnings, the Statistics info box didn't report any dropped or missing frames, nothing like that. Needless to say, I was baffled.

On the 4th of July, I streamed about two hours of Mega Man Maker, a fan-made game in the Mega Man series. After the stream, I took a look at the footage and noticed something odd. Seemingly, the video would drop from 60 FPS to 30 FPS at random. Much later on, I decided to record some gameplay from the same app. When I was editing the video, though, I noticed the exact same thing had happened: the video switched from 60 FPS to 30 FPS. This issue persisted with Mega Man Maker for the entire month, so I decided to do some tests.

I tried recording some gameplay from FCE Ultra X, a popular NES emulator, and got 60 FPS across the board with that. And that led me to believe that Mega Man Maker was, in fact, the one-and-only culprit. Another user on YouTube had gameplay footage which was plagued with halved FPS for seemingly no reason, too, and I was able to stream Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition – a cross-platform port of the same-named MS-DOS game – for two hours without experiencing any unreported frame rate adjustments, so I was pretty much convinced that it wasn't OBS. I decided I even made a video about it, the other day, after seeing someone else experience the same problem. It seems like v1.8+ is the problem… but then, I saw something that made me rethink things…

I was watching someone play Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia – a Nintendo DS game – through the melonDS emulator. While watching the gameplay, I noticed that the video dropped to 30 FPS completely at random, just like with Mega Man Maker. Which just makes me even more confused for reasons I'll get into momentarily. But, seemingly… Mega Man Maker isn't the only "problem app" for OBS Studio, as I'd thought.

Now, I've read in other forum threads that if the computer is overworked or otherwise unable to share resources, OBS can occasionally run out of resources and be unable to perform as intended even without generating errors or warnings. I have a budget laptop from three years ago, so any time OBS doesn't like what I'm doing, I expect it to give me an error… which it usually does. But, as I said, with this particular case… OBS does not toss up any errors or warnings of any kind. Additionally, in the case of Order of Ecclesia, I know for a fact that the person playing that game has a much more powerful computer than mine, so they shouldn't be experiencing any sort of "resource strain" which might lead to unexplained and unaccounted for FPS drops.

Frankly, I'm also at a loss as to why OBS doesn't like Mega Man Maker, anymore. It seems to get along fine with other apps and games and things, but not Mega Man Maker – which uses even less resources than either Rise of the Triad or especially melonDS. It wasn't always like this, either, as I can see that a video from May 1st has a perfect 60 FPS framerate. Going by that, it seems as though OBS Studio 29.1 might be the problem, as that version was officially released on May 2nd of this year. In fact, I just tried recording something with v29.0.2 and found that I, once again, had a consistent 60 FPS across the video. (Or, at least, I didn't have extended, intermittent periods of 30 FPS.) So, while that does fix my problem… it doesn't exactly fix compatibility, going forward.

I hope to hear back about something good, here. And, I hope that my post has been informative enough.

Thank you,
J

And yes, I tried all the usual troubleshooting stuff in modern OBS Studio; reducing the video bitrate, changing the Color Range from "full" to "limited", changing the Color Space from "sRGB" to "Rec. 709", changing the codec, using Simple mode, et cetera. Even when I reduced the window size and video size down to 256 x 240, I still got 30 FPS intermittently in my recordings. That tells me something just isn't working nicely between Mega Man Maker 1.8 and OBS Studio 29.1.

qhobbes

Jo Li KMC

Right, sorry.

I know this wasn't exactly what you asked for, but I recorded two new videos in the mentioned versions of OBS. I did this so I wouldn't get confused by what log file went to what version. I'm a bit like my avatar in that regard, sometimes.

29.1.3 makes "jerky" videos. 29.0.2 makes "smooth" videos.

Hope this helps. Sure as heck didn't help me figure anything out… (And I'm relatively fluent in "technicalese".)

Attachments

• OBS-Studio-29.1.3-Log_2023-08-04 15-08-28.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 17
  • OBS-Studio-29.0.2-Log_2023-08-04 15-12-56.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 12

qhobbes

Let's start with the basics:
1. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. Your OBS sample rate doesn't match your devices. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers/Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio): 48000 Hz
Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio): 48000 Hz
3. Change your OBS Color Format from BGRA to NV12
4. Use the QSV encoder instead of x264

Post new OBS 2.1.3 log if still having issues.

Jo Li KMC

I made all the modifications you suggested – despite already doing so in previous tests – and not a whole lot changed. The sound quality seems slightly worse and has crackles, and while the video quality seems to be a tiny bit better, there's marginal improvement in the "no error" frame rate dips. So, yeah. Pretty much the same as before.

Here's the new log. Once again, I don't see anything that outright looks "wrong" aside from that "hook process" delay. And yes, the "Window Capture" is completely disabled and I even tried deleting it, temporarily, in previous tests. No change.

Edit:
Wait, you suggested I change my Color Format. You do know that I'm trying to record and not stream, yes? Granted, I get the same unannounced FPS drops regardless, but still…

Attachments

• obs-studio-29-1-3-log_2023-08-04 18-31-27.txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Jo Li KMC

I guess it's a lost cause, then? Welp, back to 29.0.2 for me.

I'll file an official bug report on the tracker at some point. Which will probably be closed with a "cannot replicate" citation. Hooray.

Jo Li KMC

Heyo. I'm still using 29.0.2, but I'd like to report something that got overlooked, for future reference.

The computer I use seems to be locked at a display rate of 59.887 hz – at least according to Windows. My external monitor says "60 hz", so I dunno. Regardless, it seems like setting OBS to the closest equivalent, 59.94 FPS, smooths out recordings even more than they were. On a test recording I just did, there were only very minor hiccups in a couple of places. And I'm perfectly okay with that! I think someone on the bug tracker mentioned something about refresh rates, but it didn't even register, for some reason.

It is a bit weird that the problem is still limited to maybe a handful of apps, and even weirder that with Mega Man Maker, in particular, it only started happening as of v1.8.0. I don't believe they changed how the game renders… Looking through the change log, I don't see any mention of of any rendering, video, or frame rate changes… though the game does run a lot faster than before, so who knows.

Regardless, I'm… content… with my setup, for now. Once again, thanks for trying, forum and bug tracker people!