Question / Help OBS 23.0.0 Encoder Overloaded

Odion

Hello guys, so it seems that the nvidia driver is the problem, 419.35. I basically updated OBS and Nvidia driver at the same time and I had the same problem like you. I did a few tests with some older OBS versions , lowered quality and all but still the same problem. So I downloaded nvidia driver 419.17 and everything is working perfectly fine now. Im using OBS 23 with the Nvenc New Settings : VBR 40K to 60k , Max Quality and both those new boxes ticked.
I have a RTX 2080 and obs uses around 25%.
Hope this helps,
I'll try this when I get home.

Rdelaura

I'm going to try this and see if I can notice a difference. I got a NVIDIA GTX 1070 card, and used to be able to stream and record just fine with no encoding overload before... I'll update when I've tested it later tonight.

EDIT: Tried a small test (can't do more on remote desktop) and it SEEMS to have done the trick - I'll test proper tonight.

Please let us know

Odion

I've rollbacked my Nvidia Driver even further, but it seems to be the same.
I'm going to try Marian's driver version tho.
UPDATE: For me it's not working with any of those older driver versions.

Last edited:

Rdelaura

So if a roll back of OBS doesnt work and a roll back of the video driver doesnt work we can safely assume it is neither of those things. Anyone roll back the windows update yet? The one that has been known to cause gaming performance issues?

Spiriitus

I was encountering the high frame loss due to encoding on the latest OBS Studio version with latest Nvidia Drivers. Went back to 22.0.0 on OBS Studio version and only lost 1 frame out of a test recording of over 170000.

It seems highly individual what works/doesn't work.
Rolled back to 419.17 but I'm still having encoder overload. It did however improve greatly, from what I had before. Using the latest OBS version.

The Division 2 DOES have an issue that can cause 100% CPU usage, causing spikes - it seems to happen when these spikes appear.

I have rolled into the 419.35 as that is supposed to not have stuttering issues for the Division 2, and I'll test again later.

Alright, downloaded OBS 22.0.1 64 bit.
GFX card: GTX 1070 - Using NVIDIA driver 419.35.
Here are the results - it works!

Here is the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/KH-c-ythvePwSqFN
Here is the video of me recording and streaming at the same time: https://youtu.be/s1UytiH0qto
Here is a test on Twitch of me recording and streaming at the same time: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/399143718

Here are the stream settings:
OBS_streaming.jpg
Here are the recording settings (1080p 60fps):
OBS_recording.jpg
Here are the stats for the session - few frames are still being missed due to render lag, but NOTHING like in version 23, and I believe it can be accredited to the game stuttering issue that people are having on NVIDIA cards as it mostly happens when I dodge / move forward in the world and it loads in new stuff:
OBS_stats.jpg

Last edited:

Rdelaura

It seems highly individual what works/doesn't work.
Rolled back to 419.17 but I'm still having encoder overload. It did however improve greatly, from what I had before. Using the latest OBS version.

The Division 2 DOES have an issue that can cause 100% CPU usage, causing spikes - it seems to happen when these spikes appear.

I have rolled into the 419.35 as that is supposed to not have stuttering issues for the Division 2, and I'll test again later.

I have very little issues with Div 2 using old encoder, w/ performance preset

Marian006

User was warned for this post for strong language
So guys an update... [MOD EDIT: unnecessary rude/strong language removed]

Other than that, i installed an old version of windows , windows 10 1803 with updates from august 2018, OBS 22 and and a few nvidia drivers, the rusults were the same no matter what drivers or what version of obs i was installing, or what game I was playing, I was still having a lot of frame skips. I was outputing the videos on an HDD and because skipped encoding frames are from an overloaded gpu, i never thought of outputing the videos on my SSD.

However I did it in the end, and the problem was solved, really solved. I recorded AC Odyssey for 10 min on the HDD and I had around 360 frames skipped, then I recorded 2 hours of AC Odyssey on the SSD and not even a frame was skipped, 0 , nada, zero. So I updated everything to their latest version, OBS, Nvidia drivers and Windows and it seems that I still dont have any more skipped frames.

So why the hell I get skipped encoding frames because im saving saving on the HDD I have no idea, im using a bitrate of 40.000.

Here arey PC specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/M6xsxG

Now I use the latest version of OBS, New Nvenc, bitrate of 40000 , preset set to max quality, ticked look ahead and psycho visual tuning and max b frames 2 and everything works perfectly fine when I save the videos on the SSD in 1080p60fps

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenrir

Forum Admin
There is not really anything for us to fix. If the GPU is being overloaded by a game, there will be issues. The difference here is that the new NVENC encoder has features that add a small amount of load to your GPU, and people are going in to advanced settings and enabling them without understanding what they do. We have always strongly discouraged changing settings (or using advanced mode in general) if you don't know what the settings are doing.

You can read more about overload here: https://obsproject.com/wiki/GPU-overload-issues

Is there a guide to what the proper settings are?
I'm not a gamer. I stream motorsports races with 2 cameras. I use 6 very simple scenes. The past 9 months I've streamed weekly 3-5 hour races without a single dropped frame and CPU never over 11%. I couldn't get 23 to work well even with the h264. Have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 w/ 1/11/19 driver. I can't send a log as I had to go back to 22. I have a 2 week break coming up and I would like to update to 23 during that time.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
If you're having issues, I recommend creating a new thread with a log file that shows the problem, or stopping by our Discord so someone can take a closer look. Also, rolling back or updating does not remove log files, they should still be present when you go to Help -> Log Files -> Show Log Files. The last 10, I believe, are stored by default. New log files are created with each launch of OBS, not each stream.

If you're having issues, I recommend creating a new thread with a log file that shows the problem, or stopping by our Discord so someone can take a closer look. Also, rolling back or updating does not remove log files, they should still be present when you go to Help -> Log Files -> Show Log Files. The last 10, I believe, are stored by default. New log files are created with each launch of OBS, not each stream.
Thanks, I'll give it another go next week when I've got time to deal with it if issues come up. The last 23 log files were 2 weeks ago

Rdelaura

I have a pretty beastily setup and never had problems streaming even Fortnite but since that 23.0 update there has been issues. So how is it hardware related? Pretty sure my 1080TI and 6850k should handle 1080p @ 60fps no problems for that......

Fam3mon5ster

been off the forums for alittle but ive been using new nvenc as primary lately - I have noticed more lagged frames and skipped frames in this recent update but nothing to major like everyone is reporting - For everyone reporting that they are CONSISTENTLY having encoder overload each time they stream or record, i got a question for you. Do you have OBS window up on your desktop as your running your recordings or streams? maybe on a second screen trying to monitor if your encoder is overloading or even say your using SLobs and tracking your subs / followers etc thats baked in?

Their seems to be some type of GPU prioritization/allocation issue going on - If i simply minimize OBS in general where its no where to be found tucked away in the taskbar, surprise I get no issues - lol - ALSO if you have anything else running on the desktop or on a second screen like twitch / youtube playback or anything that has some type of animation in general, obs seems to pick it up and cant seem what to do with itself as your recording or streaming and gaming -

Tips that helped me when using NVENC NEW -

-Minimize OBS to task bar - (HELPED THE MOST)
-Uncheck hardware acceleration in scenes ** and in obs advanced options / also uncheck "Use GPU to render" (Slobs) (Be advised CPU usage goes up ! helps but everything has hardware acceleration even your browser )
-Do not use "unload image" option in certain scenes when running static pictures/banners/frames etc - (weird i know but after so much testing I think it has to something to do with obs reloading the scene or image for the encoder to process that causes issues)
-Try lowering output resolution -
-Try Bicubic vs Lanczos
-Attempt to use Use Game capture only
-For my maxed out ultra settings pc master race brothers, dont use nvidias gameworks settings (hairworks, gibs, vxao- etc) -
-**could just be me but changing Priority Status to above normal or high may have helped**
--
if none of this helped,

-revert to Original Nvenc

With all that said, I still skip and render lag but log shows (0.0% - 1%) over say a 3-5 hour stream @ 5500 bitrate- keep in mind though GPU usage is usually at 97% which i think is impressive but is probably the reason why im getting the the 0.0 - 1 %

side note - after couple hours of gameplay / streaming I have noticed and increase in "skipped frames" for some odd reason overtime though - I have obs to ping a sound anytime it goes over "1% of skipped frames" since i have obs minimized and ill get a nice consistent alarm after couple hours of FFVX - not sure why though ? question for any of the admins, do you know why skipped frames get triggered more often when running nvenc new vs x264 ?- Im running a ryzen 2700x but usage is no where near 100%. - i rarely get any skipped frames when running x264 medium but under nvenc its the norm?

Last edited:

anthrax2471

Issue has appeared on my Pc too AGAIN! I found disabling Preview in OBS did work for some time, but tonight it started again, tried everything even resetting my Bios (Taking Overclock off the cpu etc) to no avail. I don't want to use SLOBS because the lack of a push to talk delay is crap lol I hope the OBS devs can find a fix soon, I'm using version 23.2.1