Question / Help OBS 23.0.0 Encoder Overloaded

Fenrir

Forum Admin
One thing to keep in mind for @ArhangelSkr's case here is that GPU clock speeds will automatically downclock if there is no load. The percentage numbers in windows task manager are not the best way to validate load on the GPU, as they will scale with the current clock speed and resource allocations to the GPU. If you are seeing high GPU usage while doing nothing, but not experiencing any issues while actually streaming/recording, I would not worry about it.

Ch0ke_tv

I solved my problem, turning off the game mode returned the coder to normal mode. =)
I've always had game mode disabled... It's the very first thing I do when installing windows.

One thing to keep in mind for @ArhangelSkr's case here is that GPU clock speeds will automatically downclock if there is no load. The percentage numbers in windows task manager are not the best way to validate load on the GPU, as they will scale with the current clock speed and resource allocations to the GPU. If you are seeing high GPU usage while doing nothing, but not experiencing any issues while actually streaming/recording, I would not worry about it.

My GPU will be at 90% load in game but the encoder will only be at 5-10% load while telling me the encoder is overloaded... I don't understand that, especially since when I use SLOBS, the encoder shows much higher usage and does not overload.

The only time it does not give me the overload message is if I keep my GPU usage under 80%, which means significantly limiting my in game framerate, which makes fast paced shooters difficult to play.

Leenks

stupid new nvcenc
on old my vcard 970 gtx i have not troubles then gpu was 99% loaded
i have little bit low fps in my game but recording was without drops
now i have little bit low fps in game and fps droped recording
very nice job obs!
im remove this shit and will recording from nvidia expirience without this stupid truobles

and after 2 years u can fix it

I'm going back to 22 as well, this new nvenc is not working wonders for my streams... can't even record and stream at the same time now!
EDIT: Seems that 22 didn't change much, what is going on here?!

Last edited:
Ok - reupdated my OBS to the most recent version and checked the Windows Game Mode
While it didn't say it was on, it just said: Your system is available for Game Mode, read more - I thought that was weird.
So I searched the net a bit and found this - a reg. edit file that DISABLES Game Mode totally. And as I hoped, it now says that Game Mode is DISABLED in settings.

My intial 10 min test did NOT reveal ANY encoding overload, while streaming AND recording. Usually, in Anthem, that happens right away or if I alt+tab out of the game OR if i switch scenes. None of that happened.

Can someone try this as well, and see if it works for you guys too - then this might be the fix! It seems that Game Mode is just on by default and is messing with OBS.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75936-turn-off-game-mode-windows-10-a.html#option1

c0nsecro

Seems to be a Nvidia driver problem, errors in two different versions of OBS with different NVENC versions can't be a OBS issue only.

diamondpumpkin

Getting a very similar issue with OBS 23.0.2, GTX 1080, with drivers 419.35. Local recordings lag like freaking crazy even at low bitrates.

Edit: Downgraded to driver 399.24, same issue. Can't record at any decent-quality producing bitrate.

Last edited:

Marian006

Hello guys, so it seems that the nvidia driver is the problem, 419.35. I basically updated OBS and Nvidia driver at the same time and I had the same problem like you. I did a few tests with some older OBS versions , lowered quality and all but still the same problem. So I downloaded nvidia driver 419.17 and everything is working perfectly fine now. Im using OBS 23 with the Nvenc New Settings : VBR 40K to 60k , Max Quality and both those new boxes ticked.
I have a RTX 2080 and obs uses around 25%.
Hope this helps

Edit: It actually doesnt work, the first 10-15 min work fine and after that it starts to skip quite a lot of frames

Last edited:
Hello guys, so it seems that the nvidia driver is the problem, 419.35. I basically updated OBS and Nvidia driver at the same time and I had the same problem like you. I did a few tests with some older OBS versions , lowered quality and all but still the same problem. So I downloaded nvidia driver 419.17 and everything is working perfectly fine now. Im using OBS 23 with the Nvenc New Settings : VBR 40K to 60k , Max Quality and both those new boxes ticked.
I have a RTX 2080 and obs uses around 25%.
Hope this helps,

I'm going to try this and see if I can notice a difference. I got a NVIDIA GTX 1070 card, and used to be able to stream and record just fine with no encoding overload before... I'll update when I've tested it later tonight.

EDIT: Tried a small test (can't do more on remote desktop) and it SEEMS to have done the trick - I'll test proper tonight.

Last edited: