Question / Help OBS 23.0.0 Encoder Overloaded

MadVaper

Yep, no change with 23.0.1 or 23.0.2. Encoding overload and stuttering for no apparent reason. Really wish someone could give a better response than, "post a log file," or "turn off game mode."

ArhangelSkr

I notified Nvidia about this problem, they took data from my computer for 2 hours. They told me to wait for a response for up to 5 days.

Odion

Same happens to me. I don't think uninstalling OBS and doing a clean reinstall will solve the problem as one said in this thread. Devs should solve this.

Rdelaura

I seem to be having the same problem. Was fine prior to this recent release of OBS.

I7-6850k
Strix 1080TI
32gb Corsair Platinum DDR4
500 mbps down
11 mbps up
game @ 2560x1440
stream/record @ 1920x1080 60fps

Game plays fine but stream is dropping below 60fps and stuttering, same for recordings. Micro stuttering

Switched back to old NVENC with no change. Even at Max Performance preset still problems.

Rdelaura

Has anyone rolled back their version prior to 23? Just wondering if that test has been done to verify its specifically this version

Ch0ke_tv

You can always use the old NVENC encoder if you have trouble with the new one.
Old NVENC overloads as well. there is NO difference.. The update to version 23.x.x Broke NVENC completely. The only solutions is go to back to SLOBS or limit in-game fps to 60 in all games.. I'd rather use SLOBS.

Ch0ke_tv

Did the problem still occur with the new update 20.0.2 too? Haven't the time to test it again until now ...

Yes, the 23.0.2 Update didn't change anything... short of significantly limited in-game framerates, the NVENC encoder with this "optmized" version of OBS is broken.

Rdelaura

I just tried rolling back to 22.0.2 and it seems to be working good. I think I'll stay here until a proper fix comes out.

Rdelaura

Yea I tried last night on a test stream with The Divison 2 and didnt notice any lag/stuttering, def no overloading. Everything seemed good. Try it again, it actually sped up my obs opening too with a clean install (sans user settings). I have a real stream tonight so i'll report back if for some reason it reverted back to being garbage

Odion

Meh, I'll wait for OBS devs to fix this in a new update. Till then, I'm not going to record R6S (because the video will be very laggy). By the way, I've found that if you're using the new Nvenc Encoder and you don't have the best GPU (for example: me, GTX 1050Ti), you should disable Look Ahead option and Psycho Tuning thing option + decrease the preset from Max Quality to Quality. These things have broke my frames while recording. Even with only Max Quality and those options turned off, my last video had 7% stalled frames. But after changing the preset to Quality, my last video had 0% stalled frames. But yeah, I can see how OBS is still broken.

Rdelaura

I am reporting back the rollback did NOT fix issues. Still cant hold 60fps. Not dropping frames but framerate but randomly. Even when at 60, does micro stutter almost. No overload tho. I hope something is done soon, not good streaming with poor quality

ArhangelSkr

I'm having this issue as well... Can we get a dev to respond if this is being looked into?
I am talking with the engineer of the company Nvidia, if this is the case at the driver software level, then I will immediately write here how they helped me solve the problem.

41nd

Hello, the new NVENC seems to be working okay for me ONLY for 864p streaming. When i try to record at 1440p i always get encoding overloaded almost each minute. Tried no L-a, and no PVT on Max Quality and just Quality. Still happens on a god damn RTX2080Ti !
Unusable and unacceptable from good old OBS !