Bug Report OBS 22.0.3 (mac) Crashes Unexpectedly When Live and Using Browser Captures

Computer Info:
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015) running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.5
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32GB

That's my primary streaming computer, but I've run across the same issue with my laptop, which is a maxed out mid-2014 macbook pro running High SIerra 10.13.6. I have found a variety of similar issues documented in these forums over the last several years but never found anyone who pinpointed it to the same thing as me.

I experienced this issue for a while. I'd fire up a stream that was broadcasting to Twitch, get 2-3 hours into it, and it would crash. Then I would get the "Failed to find locale/en-us.ini" error that I believe is best documented here (though it has popped up a lot since it seems to be related to plugins and configuration in some instances): https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-crash-mac-failed-to-find-locale-en-us-ini.67234/

After quitting OBS and trying to reopen, it generally will crash again without warning without even trying to stream, and this occurs several times usually. Then what typically happens is a few days go by, I do my next stream, and again it will run for several hours.

Crash Report: https://pastebin.com/Y82TPFiT (for some reason I can't seem to find log files from the most recent day that I tested this - if the crash report isn't enough I can run another test. I'm admittedly a noob when it comes to the log files so I'm unsure what info might be missing from the crash report)

When I read the thread from above I started experimenting, pulling out different sources and settings. I got it to a place where everything worked, and that was when I had removed all browser sources from my scenes. Everything else was as normal. I didn't see any threads that appeared to be this same issue, so I wanted to create a new one.

A couple side notes about this:
1. Even if I'm in a scene collection with NO browser sources, but a different scene collection contains a scene WITH a browser source, I can still crash.
2. I have run a number of 4-16 hour Twitch inspector streams (not live to my channel) while using browser sources and have NEVER crashed. I have ONLY crashed while actually broadcasting live to Twitch, and it has always occurred in under 4 hours.

WORKAROUND: (Sorry if I am missing any important info. I'd like to get this resolved if possible because it's pretty frustrating using the following)
Personally, my two main browser sources right now are alerts (I use streamlabs) and chat (I have used by streamlabs and native Twitch chat), so I use a workaround where instead of browser sources, I launch windows manually and use display capture sources where I crop to window and manual to make things more seamless than a window capture. However there are other sources I'd love to add, and I don't have the screen real estate to make it happen.

EDIT:
Ran a test today to crash the stream on a new twitch account, but with the same OBS setup. I've attached the log file for it now. I didn't really do much on it. Did a few while-live scene adjustments and scene changes just trying to mimic a normal stream as much as I could without, y'know, doing a full-effort stream. The NEW crash report is also attached.

When I get the crash screen saying that OBS Quit Unexpectedly, I click "Reopen" I get the "Failed to find locale/en-US.ini" and then the "Failed to load locale" pop ups as expected.

I am then able to reopen OBS as normal. It crashed again in under 3 minutes. I've attached the log file and crash report from that run too, with clarifying notes in the file titles.

Attachments

• 2019-01-10 11-30-26.txt
    22.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Jan 10 Crash Report.txt
    128.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Jan 10 Crash Report (AFTER REOPEN OBS).txt
    120.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2019-01-10 17-27-06 (AFTER REOPEN OBS).txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Narcogen

Would definitely need to see an actual log rather than just a crashlog. You can open the folder with your logs in it by going to the Help menu and choosing Logs > Show Log Files

Thanks Narcogen. I do know how to find where the logs are supposed to be - what I was trying to say is that it's not actually where it's supposed to be. There's no log. I'll run another test today and see if I can generate a new log and crash.

I've added relevant log files to the original post for brevity. Here's the edit that I also added to that first post:

Ran a test today to crash the stream on a new twitch account, but with the same OBS setup. I've attached the log file for it now. I didn't really do much on it. Did a few while-live scene adjustments and scene changes just trying to mimic a normal stream as much as I could without, y'know, doing a full-effort stream. The NEW crash report is also attached.

When I get the crash screen saying that OBS Quit Unexpectedly, I click "Reopen" I get the "Failed to find locale/en-US.ini" and then the "Failed to load locale" pop ups as expected.

I am then able to reopen OBS as normal. It crashed again in under 3 minutes. I've attached the log file and crash report from that run too, with clarifying notes in the file titles. [AGAIN: These attachments are on the original post]

Narcogen

Definitely looks like the browser source is what is crashing.

The logs both include a particular error related to the streamlabs widget just before (but not at the same time as) the crash. If you turn off your StreamLabs sources, but leave all the rest alone, does the crash still happen?

Definitely looks like the browser source is what is crashing.

The logs both include a particular error related to the streamlabs widget just before (but not at the same time as) the crash. If you turn off your StreamLabs sources, but leave all the rest alone, does the crash still happen?

I don't think so. When I tried to crash this stuff, I tried with just the default obsproject website for the browser source and didn't encounter any issue. It appears to be just the streamlabs widgets. I, too, am a little confused about why the crash doesn't appear immediately on the first error.

Been doing some more digging, and this thread has the same ERROR, but not the same result: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/browser-source-sound-breaks-mic-input.97113/

So I could run another test where the follow alerts have no sound, or see if the chat on its own without follow alerts causes the same issue. I'll try to test that out today. I've found a few other threads with the same type of error. It always looks like this:

obs-browser: Error parsing header X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block; report=https://www.google.com/appserve/security-bugs/log/youtube: insecure reporting URL for secure page at character position 22. The default protections will be applied. (source: <thing that's causing issues>)

But it seems to break different things for different people.

Narcogen

I saw those errors as well. It's apparently a bug in Chromium that has been fixed, but it's possible the fix has not yet made its way into the browser plugin. Whatever problem that error creates may not cause an immediate crash, but initiates a process that ends up resulting in a crash.

Narcogen

Chromium is the rendering engine that powers both the Chrome browser and the OBS browser plugin. This bug seems to have been addressed in Chromium and Chrome, it's a question of when the browser plugin next gets updated. It did recently get a massive update in OBS 22.

Gotcha. Is there any way for me to track that or be notified when it gets pushed to the browser plugin?

And btw, thanks so much for your input. It's been super helpful.

Despite having some successful streams, I'm back to my stream crashing almost immediately upon going live.

Posted new bug report here because I have no reason to suspect it's the same issue: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...on-mac-possibly-related-to-streamdeck.100012/

For context, here's what has changed with my stream setup to my knowledge:
1. Remove all browser Streamlabs sources. Only using display sources for Streamlabs (but still using browser for native twitch chat).
2. Get and setup an Elgato Stream Deck.

TheJoncas13

I have the EXACT same problem, so happy to see I'm not alone.

I don't know if this is helpful or relevant, but I noticed that first crash of the day occurs around 10:30PM (ET), it's been like that for the past 3 nights. After that, OBS crash non-stop until I give up for the night. Strangely enough, everything is working fine the next day until 10:30 PM. It's so weird.

LunarPeter

Chromium is the rendering engine that powers both the Chrome browser and the OBS browser plugin. This bug seems to have been addressed in Chromium and Chrome, it's a question of when the browser plugin next gets updated. It did recently get a massive update in OBS 22.

Is there a workaround for this issue? Is there a page that I can bookmark to follow the progress of the browser plugin update?

Narcogen

The workaround is to not use the browser source if it causes crashes.

The plugin doesn't get updated independently, it gets updated when OBS is updated, so you can just want the site for announcements of new versions.

@LunarPeter - My workaround has been to remove browser sources and instead LAUNCH those browsers on-monitor and setup display or window captures (display captures work the best aesthetically but also take up the most resources from what I've seen).

Obviously this only works if you have the screen space and/or resolution to handle all the browsers you want to display. For me it works fine bc I only have a few I need to display.

I ran an additional test and appear to be having issues not only with Streamlabs but also just the native Twitch chat. I haven't tried any other web pages in a while.

I THINK this is the issue we're dealing with: https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=636

But they believe it to be fixed. Maybe @Narcogen can let us know if there's a way for us to re-open that? Or should I just submit a new issue and reference that previous bug?